30 Business Ideas that Change the World You Can Start Today [2021]

30 Business Ideas that Change the World You Can Start Today [2021]

Interested in starting a business ideas that change the world business in 2021?

We put together 30 of the best business ideas that change the world businesses you can start in today.

For each business idea, we’ll show you real-world examples of other business ideas that change the world businesses to help you see what it really takes.

Here's the full list:

1. Design an autonomous security robots ($3.6M/year)

William Santana Li from Mountain View started Knightscope, Inc. over 8 years ago, a autonomous security robots.

• Location: Mountain View

I’ll give you the short answer but if you want the long-form answer please check out my blog on it here (“Why Did You Build Knightscope”). Basically, I was born in NYC and someone hit my town on 9-11 and I’m still profoundly pissed off about it - and I’m dedicating the rest of my life to better securing our country.

Some things that look unbelievably gorgeous on paper or some slide deck - once you implement them carry a high risk of being the complete opposite.

When we started the Company back in 2013, we were told the following:

how-i-raised-70m-to-build-autonomous-security-robots-that-are-patrolling-the-country-today

William Santana Li, on starting Knightscope, Inc. ($300,000/month) full story ➜

2. Start a 3d printing business ($3.96M/year)

Roy Kirchner from Odesa, Odesa Oblast, Ukraine started Ultimate 3D Printing Store over 6 years ago, a 3d printing business.

• Location: Odesa, Odesa Oblast, Ukraine

In 2014, I was one-half of a partnership working primarily in advertising and marketing. At that time, my partner and I were successful and wanted to explore other verticals. We began working with a client who had a product that we believed was singular and unique throughout the world, and we put forward a significant amount of capital out of our own pockets to try and develop that product, only to reach a point where the deal went south and litigation ensued.

Make plans to do things as a family, and do your best not to let work interfere with those moments, but know that there are going to be times when you will have to sacrifice an outing, a dinner date, a holiday weekend.

In trying to think outside the box and figure out a way to create a similar product, I found myself for the first time in an innovation lab in Tampa, Florida, where I saw a 3D printer in operation for the first time. I couldn’t look away. I realized immediately that 3D printing had the potential to change the world as it became more integrated into daily business activities such as manufacturing. That’s when I decided to leap of faith.

how-i-started-a-330k-month-ecommerce-specialized-in-3d-printing

Roy Kirchner, on starting Ultimate 3D Printing Store ($330,000/month) full story ➜

3. Start an ai based business solution ($720K/year)

Raghuraman Ramamurthy from Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India started Rapid Acceleration Partners about 4 years ago, a ai based business solution.

• Location: Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India

There was no particular lightbulb or Eureka moment, but in 2017, during conversations about the future, I realized the AI market was ripe for the picking and wide open for new entrants. Particularly entrants that tackled the challenge of automating the processing of unstructured content and overcoming the typical challenges that hinder most enterprises attempting intelligent automation.

Stay true to your core vision but remain agile and evolve as opportunities unfold.

Most often those projects falter and don’t get off the ground, despite the significant, tangible benefits successful automation provides. After a decade-long, successful career in Barry-Wehmiller, I decided to venture out with friends as a serial entrepreneur, and RAP was born.

from-fledgling-ai-startup-to-industry-recognized-ipa-player-in-just-3-years

Raghuraman Ramamurthy, on starting Rapid Acceleration Partners ($60,000/month) full story ➜

4. Launch an online tuition platform ($9.96M/year)

Tom Hooper from London started Third Space Learning about 8 years ago, a online tuition platform.

• Location: London

I studied Philosophy and Politics at University, before spending the first few years of my career working in investment in London. Whilst I am glad that I worked in finance, it was never a career for me. I enjoyed meeting company management teams and analyzing their outlook to inform investment decisions. But, in truth, I always wanted to be on the other side of the table helping to build a business. That said, understanding the financial and operational structures of businesses, and how this relates to their plans, is undoubtedly valuable in building a business and working with investors.

I think success is often based on learning quickly enough from your mistakes, such that you are constantly improving.

My family is all entrepreneurs. Both of my parents are, which must have influenced me and my brother and sister. All three of us siblings have founded our own businesses so now we have a full house of entrepreneurs. I guess that growing up in this environment gave us confidence in entrepreneurship as a means of building a career and that the risk was worth it (even if that meant failure). Certainly, it helped to have encouragement and support from our parents that we should go for it and had their total support. I even remember being discouraged from my original decision to work in Finance!

how-i-raised-15m-to-build-a-800k-month-math-online-tuition-platform

Tom Hooper, on starting Third Space Learning ($830,000/month) full story ➜

5. Start a food startup ($144K/year)

Enric Miquel Pico from Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain started KÜiK Meal over 3 years ago, a food startup.

• Location: Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain

The journey that drove us through entrepreneurship was natural, because in a way all of the founding members were currently working in a startup environment.

All the founding members were currently working in a fast paced environment at Laboratoires Grand Fontaine, so it seemed like an evidence to them to launch the KÜik Meal project as a startup.

As I used to say in my daily work : “Don’t expect the right answers from your mind, but rather from the market. Listen to it, pay close attention to all the details that your consumers or potential customers reveal in every interaction.”

how-we-crowdfunded-and-validated-our-meal-replacement-product

Enric Miquel Pico, on starting KÜiK Meal ($12,000/month) full story ➜

6. Start a clothing blog ($72K/year)

Jon Shanahan from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA started The Kavalier almost 7 years ago, a clothing blog.

• Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA

My days with a camera can be traced back to my parents’ Sony Handycam when I was 6 directing my friends to make mini movies (still somewhere around here on VHS) but high school was a defining time for that passion as I joined the video club.

There’s certainly no substitute for hard work and dedicating thoughtful time to what you’re working on. I’ve published over 500 videos in the last three years and it takes a lot of time and effort to get there but if you show up everyday you will be ahead.

I was a distracted student in high school but my one reprieve was making videos at the direction of my teacher Brad Schulte. One of my earliest projects is still on YouTube which received 700k views at a time when that was a big deal. Most of those views came from people searching for keywords which planted a seed.

starting-a-youtube-channel-and-blog-making-6-000-month

Jon Shanahan, on starting The Kavalier ($6,000/month) full story ➜

7. Start a stock photography business ($0/year)

Serban Enache from Brentwood, TN, USA started Free Stock Images almost 10 years ago, a stock photography business.

• Location: Brentwood, TN, USA

By 2012, stock photography was well established as an accessible and inexpensive visual content resource and Dreamstime was already a thriving Top 3 agency, counting the world’s largest stock photo community. It already featured a small free download library that subscribers were able to access unlimitedly, still available today. As donations grew, we felt these files needed a dedicated home and audience and this is how Stockfreeimages appeared. In the first year, we had around 110,000 customers and 1,5 million images and numbers continued to grow constantly. Its aim was to upgrade budget-oriented customers instead of eroding current revenues.

Not hiring talented people soon enough or hiring the wrong people and having to start all over, avoiding making leaps of faith, and being overcautious are some of the things that may change the course of your business for better or worse.

A large pool of individuals and freelancers were in need of good imagery for personal or start-up projects, at no cost at all if possible. Stockfreeimages came to answer this need for safe content with model released, high-quality photos, and illustrations that they were able to download for free. It also served as the next step in image copyright protection for both contributors and consumers and helped users protect themselves from the costly fines that often result from copyright violations.

how-i-started-a-royalty-free-stock-photo-platform

Serban Enache, on starting Free Stock Images ($0/month) full story ➜

8. Start a blogging business ($60K/year)

Chhavi Agarwal from New Delhi, Delhi, India started Mrs Daaku Studio over 3 years ago, a blogging business.

• Location: New Delhi, Delhi, India

I am a licensed attorney in India and right after my master’s in law, I started working with a leading company as a lawyer. I worked there for about two years before I quit my job to become more location independent.

Choose a niche in whatever you start. It is critical for streamlining your efforts and make money.

My job paid me well but I worked 12 hours a day, I was exhausted by the end of each day, spent my weekends sleeping and I almost quit the things I liked to do - for example, sketching, yoga, traveling, etc.

how-this-couple-makes-5k-month-generating-content-about-ways-to-make-money-online

Chhavi Agarwal, on starting Mrs Daaku Studio ($5,000/month) full story ➜

9. Start a podcast agency ($204K/year)

Tom Hunt from London started Fame almost 2 years ago, a podcast agency.

• Location: London

This whole thing started when I was working as head of marketing at a B2B SaaS business. We started a podcast.

The podcast was focused on the sales operations resource, and was called Sales Ops Demystified. We interviewed sales ops people.

It started to go pretty well, we got social shares, SEO value and even had some sales calls with our guests (we sold sales software). Sales Ops Demystified is now the most downloaded podcast in the world of sales ops.

how-i-started-a-17k-month-podcast-growth-service

Tom Hunt, on starting Fame ($17,000/month) full story ➜

10. Start an outsourcing business ($16.8M/year)

Cody McLain from Austin, Texas, USA started SupportNinja over 6 years ago, a outsourcing business.

• Revenue: $1,399,996/ month
  • Location: Austin, Texas, USA

I’ve been an entrepreneur since I was 14. I was kind of forced into it as both my parents died when I was young. I started my first business because my friend wanted to get an Xbox but his parents grounded him so we worked together to get the money. Our first business was a web hosting company, but our partnership split up after only a week. For the first time, I found a passion, an interest, a calling. What I discovered through that process is the creativity involved in building a business appealed to me. Since I lived difficult life, it was something I naturally fell into. I created several more businesses over the years. In one of them, I was screwed over by a business partner. All of this is mentioned in my book From Foster care to Millionaire.

What led me to start SN was my feeling of imposter syndrome and in confidence. In the last hosting company I had (sold for just south of a million) I realized I had to put in the support hours and deal with the customers’ gripes for many years. This is a skill I did not initially see within myself. I always wanted to work for startups but didn’t necessarily want to be one, so I found a niche within an existing proven market in the industry which ended up being outsourcing.

A lot of startups need outsourcing but most of the outsourcing companies that exist today weren’t necessarily founded for startups. I saw that I could appeal to startups and I had a natural interest in technology and using all the latest and greatest apps and seeing this inherent divergence of my interest within the tech community and the interest in building several businesses online, even including the company I built in India for the agents who were initially providing support for my customers.

how-i-started-a-9m-year-company-outsourcing-support-for-startups

Cody McLain, on starting SupportNinja ($1,399,996/month) full story ➜

11. Become an online fitness coach ($984K/year)

Ryan Milton from Las Vegas, Nevada, USA started TeamFFLEX almost 8 years ago, a online fitness coach.

• Location: Las Vegas, Nevada, USA

I came up with TeamFFLEX seeing the massive trend of everything turning online and want to help as many people as possible achieve results. In a traditional gym format trainers job, there are only so many hours you can work in a day and a limit on clients you can actually work with. For example, if a client does a 60-minute session and you work an 8 hour day you can see 8 clients within that day. There are also of course training teams, and classes as well as small groups but still even if I could have worked with 100 people a day in a gym it would not have been enough.

I wanted to find a way to help people all around the world. The people that couldn’t get to the gym or didn’t have the money to hire an expensive trainer. I wanted to make sure that no matter where people were at the gym or at home they had the ability to take action on their health and fitness and get results.

Seeing in today's world how basically kids are born with an iPhone in hand it all just made perfect sense. Take personal training online and help people all around the world. The thing about today's society is that we want it now. We don't want to wait. We don't want to go into a building, meet with some trainer, get sold on all the different expensive packages and then pay basically to have a really expensive cheerleader. I honestly believe that within the next 10 years we won’t see trainers in gyms anymore. The quality of training in gyms continues to drop due to the fact that not enough people get training and also that trainers can’t even make enough money to sustain a living. I knew that if I could go online with everything not only would I be able to impact people to a much larger degree, I would also be able to live a life on my terms.

how-i-started-a-48k-month-business-with-an-online-fitness-training-service

Ryan Milton, on starting TeamFFLEX ($82,000/month) full story ➜

12. Start a web design & online marketing business ($900K/year)

Francesc LTW from Barcelona started La Teva Web about 19 years ago, a web design & online marketing business.

• Location: Barcelona

My academic background has always been focused on management and strategy, I did economics, a PGDip in European Companies Management, and an MBA in England. Once I finished these studies, I started to work in Barcelona as a product manager for a couple of large companies. These were very well-known and large companies and, although I was in my twenties and I had achieved a relevant position in both companies but, for me, it was a waste of time.

At that time you could not expect to have a minimum influence in companies where all marketing decisions are always made in central offices, always abroad. Unfortunately, Spanish companies produced few goods and they merely buy and sell products manufactured in other countries.

I wanted to see all processes and, above all, feel that my efforts were worth something real and touchable. That’s why I decided that if I wanted to put into action everything I had learned, I should build my own company.

on-starting-a-web-development-agency-in-the-early-00s-and-growing-it-to-75k-month-and-20-employees

Francesc LTW, on starting La Teva Web ($75,000/month) full story ➜

13. Start an adventure travel agent business ($90K/year)

Chris waters from international started Constructed Adventures almost 6 years ago, a adventure travel agent business.

• Location: international

I was always that guy trying to create a fun experience for people. I hated the idea of waking up and knowing EXACTLY how the day is going to pan out (drive to work, meeting, lunch, get yelled at by clients, drive home, watch tv, go to bed. Rinse and repeat every day for the rest of your life) So I would be the one kidnapping people on their birthdays, putting googly eyes on every picture in the office, etc.

“I hated the idea of waking up and knowing EXACTLY how the day is going to pan out (drive to work, meeting, lunch, get yelled at by clients, drive home, watch tv, go to bed. Rinse and repeat every day for the rest of your life)”

The business kind of happened by accident. It all started with the Reddit Secret santa gift exchange. (here’s the wikipedia) In short, 100k people sign up, get matched with someone, and send them a gift for the holidays! I’d been participating for years. I’d sent and received some really incredible gifts.

how-i-make-a-living-constructing-the-perfect-day-for-random-strangers

Chris waters, on starting Constructed Adventures ($7,500/month) full story ➜

14. Start a saas product developer business ($6.16K/year)

Examples of a successful saas product developer business:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a saas product developer business:

Learn more about starting a saas product developer business ➜

And for some real world inspiration, give Jens Boje's story on creating FeedLetter a read:

Hi, my name is Jens Boje. I am a software developer and mindfulness coach from Frankfurt, Germany.

I run multiple apps, sites, and newsletters but now focus my main attention on FeedLetter, a simple feedback system for newsletters. It’s still in the early stage though but already has 14 customers.

on-developing-a-feedback-system-for-newsletters

Jens Boje, on starting FeedLetter ($40/month) full story ➜

15. Become a yoga instructor

Examples of a successful yoga instructor:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a yoga instructor:

Learn more about starting a yoga instructor ➜

16. Become a ghost blogger ($147K/year)

Examples of a successful ghost blogger:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a ghost blogger:

Learn more about starting a ghost blogger ➜

And for some real world inspiration, give Lacy Boggs's story on creating The Content Direction Agency a read:

Hey, I’m Lacy and I’m a content strategist, author of the bestselling Kindle ebook Make a Killing With Content, and the Director of The Content Direction Agency. We specialize in done-for-you content strategy and writing retainers for the content between launches or promotions that helps businesses grow, nurture, and prime their audience to say “hell yes!” before they ever see the offer.

Over the past 9 years, we’ve helped hundreds of business owners create bespoke content strategies to consistently drive quality traffic to websites, increase monthly email leads by 300% or more, improve search engine rankings, enroll dozens of clients per month into membership programs, support multi-six figure launches, and drive millions of views of our articles.

i-make-300k-year-with-a-team-of-ghostwriters-that-create-content-for-brands

Lacy Boggs, on starting The Content Direction Agency ($24,000/month) full story ➜

17. Start a technical specialist business ($4.44M/year)

Examples of a successful technical specialist business:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a technical specialist business:

Learn more about starting a technical specialist business ➜

And for some real world inspiration, give Harry Sanders's story on creating StudioHawk a read:

I’m Harry Sanders - Founder and Director of Studiohawk. Studiohawk was designed and crafted to specialize in one thing: SEO. I’m a firm believer that people can’t be the ‘best at everything’ which is why Studiohawk set out with such a dedicated focus. We chose to be the best at SEO. Essentially, we work with brands and businesses to develop content, studies, fix technical issues, and build digital PR to get our clients more clicks in organic search results.

People may believe that the margin isn’t very high, but that’s because we truly focus our investment on doing amazing work. We want to be the best at what we do, and to be recognized for this over making a giant profit.

i-started-doing-seo-at-13-now-i-make-over-4m-year-with-it

Harry Sanders, on starting StudioHawk ($370,000/month) full story ➜

18. Start a social media management business

Examples of a successful social media management business:

Learn more about starting a social media management business ➜

19. Start a graphic designing business ($360K/year)

Examples of a successful graphic designing business:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a graphic designing business:

Learn more about starting a graphic designing business ➜

And for some real world inspiration, give Michael Moloney's story on creating FilterGrade a read:

Hi, I’m Mike Moloney, the founder of FilterGrade. FilterGrade is a marketplace for creators where you can find digital assets such as presets, LUTs, video templates, and much more.

Today thousands of creators from all around the world buy and sell digital products on FilterGrade and more than 450,000 users visit the site every month.

how-we-created-a-30k-month-marketplace-of-photo-filters-and-digital-assets-for-creatives

Michael Moloney, on starting FilterGrade ($30,000/month) full story ➜

20. Start a fundraising consulting business ($1.8M/year)

Examples of a successful fundraising consulting business:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a fundraising consulting business:

Learn more about starting a fundraising consulting business ➜

And for some real world inspiration, give Daryl Hatton's story on creating ConnectionPoint a read:

My name is Daryl Hatton. I am a founder, CEO, and lead investor of a team that created ConnectionPoint in 2009 as an early entrant and innovative pioneer in the crowdfunding industry.

To date, we have helped almost 200,000 projects in 40+ countries raise over $200 million using our platform.

how-i-started-a-crowdfunding-as-a-service-platform-that-helped-200k-projects-raise-over-200m

Daryl Hatton, on starting ConnectionPoint ($150,000/month) full story ➜

21. Start a chatbot development business

Examples of a successful chatbot development business:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a chatbot development business:

Learn more about starting a chatbot development business ➜

22. Start a green app developer business ($1.8M/year)

Examples of a successful green app developer business:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a green app developer business:

Learn more about starting a green app developer business ➜

And for some real world inspiration, give Chris Garbacz's story on creating Studio Ninja a read:

Hey guys, my name is Chris Garbacz and I’m one of the co-founders here at Studio Ninja, the world’s most user-friendly photography business management app. In a nutshell, Studio Ninja is a software and mobile app that helps photographers manage their leads, clients, shoots, invoices, quotes, contracts, workflows and so much more.

i-harnessed-my-photography-experience-built-a-1-8m-year-photography-crm

Chris Garbacz, on starting Studio Ninja ($150,000/month) full story ➜

23. Start an e-book writing business

Examples of a successful e-book writing business:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a e-book writing business:

Learn more about starting an e-book writing business ➜

24. Start an uber driver business

Examples of a successful uber driver business:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a uber driver business:

Learn more about starting an uber driver business ➜

25. Start a decentralized app

Examples of a successful decentralized app:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a decentralized app:

Learn more about starting a decentralized app ➜

26. Start a drone delivery service

Examples of a successful drone delivery service:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a drone delivery service:

Learn more about starting a drone delivery service ➜

27. Start a hospital robotics business

Examples of a successful hospital robotics business:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a hospital robotics business:

Learn more about starting a hospital robotics business ➜

28. Start a robotic engineer business

Examples of a successful robotic engineer business:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a robotic engineer business:

Learn more about starting a robotic engineer business ➜

29. Start an automated home cleaning robot business

Examples of a successful automated home cleaning robot business:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a automated home cleaning robot business:

Learn more about starting an automated home cleaning robot business ➜

30. Start a trash sorting robot business

Examples of a successful trash sorting robot business:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a trash sorting robot business:

Learn more about starting a trash sorting robot business ➜

Want to start your own business?

Hey! 👋I'm Pat Walls, the founder of Starter Story.

We interview successful business owners and share the stories behind their business. By sharing these stories, we want to help you get started.

Interested in starting your own business? Join Starter Story Premium to get the greatest companion to starting and growing your business:

• Connect + get advice from successful entrepreneurs
  • Step by step guides on how to start and grow
  • Exclusive and early access to the best case studies on the web
  • And much more!

Did you know that brands using Klaviyo average a 95x ROI?

Email, SMS, and more — Klaviyo brings your marketing all together, fueling growth without burning through time and resources.

Deliver more relevant email and text messages — powered by your data. Klaviyo helps you turn one-time buyers into repeat customers with all the power of an enterprise solution and none of the complexity.

Join Brumate, Beardbrand, and the 265,000 other businesses using Klaviyo to grow their online sales.

Try Klaviyo for free right now ➜