11 Inspiring Mental Health Related Business Ideas

Almost 11% of the world population suffers from some kind of mental health disorder. That's almost 800 million people.

In business terms, that's a quite big addressable market to tackle, as attractive as any other you can find. Plus, you get the benefit of making an impact on people's lives. So there's no doubt why the sector is booming and entrepreneurs, investors and tech companies are paying more attention to it.

Have a mental health-related business and want to get added to this list? Submit to share your story here.

Below we have listed some successful businesses that we have featured in the past and that are thriving while helping people. Check them out, and get some inspiration from their stories:

1. Mental-health focused supplements ($2.4M/year)

The supplements company, Natural Stacks, was founded in Seattle, Washington, USA about 7 years ago.

• Location: Seattle, Washington, USA

I got my first experience in e-commerce at an e-commerce startup called Gift Card Rescue - a type of secondary marketplace for unused gift cards. I started as an intern while at the University of Maryland and eventually went full-time as the first employee. I was working full-time and going to school full-time.

It was an awesome experience of really “being in the trenches”. Kwame, the founder of Gift Card Rescue, got on the first season of Shark Tank which led to explosive growth for the company.

What I took from that experience was how to build a bootstrapped or self-funded business. It’s a lot easier to learn these lessons the first time when the mistakes aren’t your own dollars! Since then, I’ve founded and sold three other companies.

starting-a-mental-health-focused-supplements-company-and-growing-to-200-000-month

Benjamin Hebert, on starting Natural Stacks ($200,000/month) full story ➜

2. Mobile meditation studio ($156K/year)

The business, Kala Mobile Meditation Studio, was founded in Baltimore, Maryland, USA over 1 year ago.

• Location: Baltimore, Maryland, USA

Athena (Tina) Stratakis, a massage therapist and life coach, in collaboration with her daughter, Maria Stratakis, mental health, and school counselor, created Kala. The inspiration for Kala grew from a desire to support the health and wellness of Baltimore by sharing the long-lasting benefits of mindfulness and meditation with the community.

We always knew we wanted to bring mindfulness to individuals who normally would not seek it out, whether it was because of time constraints or because of not having been exposed to it.

With Athena's background in massage therapy and life coaching, she gained insight into her client's everyday struggles, especially job-related stress. Between work and family, it was often difficult for clients to find time for regular self-care. She learned from her time spent at Tai Sophia Institute studying energy therapy, how the body positively responds to sound, and how it helps still the mind. With that insight, she felt confident that sound therapy and meditation brought to the workplace would provide a convenient and effective way to manage stress.

how-we-started-a-mobile-meditation-studio

Athena Stratakis and Maria Stratakis , on starting Kala Mobile Meditation Studio ($13,000/month) full story ➜

3. Positive card game ($228K/year)

The card game, PEAR Cards, was founded in Chico, California, USA over 3 years ago.

• Location: Chico, California, USA

My personal background ranges anywhere from bartending, running around in Hollywood doing music videos and American Idol, and tech sales. But at the core of everything I’ve done lies the uniform factor - positive human connection.

After wandering endlessly from job to job, I decided to see if Nate, my now co-founder, was interested in traveling Europe alongside me. After very little persuading, we packed up our bags and left our homes in Santa Barbara, CA and San Diego, CA and headed to Europe. We spent ten unbelievable weeks traveling through Europe, meeting people from all around the world, and creating memories and friendships that will last a lifetime. We knew something would come from this trip, but we weren’t yet sure what it was.

Never underestimate the power of asking someone for help. You might be blown away by the number of people that want to help you.

raising-19-000-building-a-positive-card-game

Matthew Roberts, on starting PEAR Cards ($19,000/month) full story ➜

4. Lifestyle planner ($162K/year)

The planner business, Saint Belford, was founded in Victoria, Australia about 3 years ago.

• Location: Victoria, Australia

There were 3 reasons that lead us down the path of running our own business.

In short, it was a happy accident.

1 - Experiencing burnout

how-we-created-a-planning-diary-making-160k-in-6-months

Tom and Alex, on starting Saint Belford ($13,500/month) full story ➜

5. Bath products ($216K/year)

The skin care product line, Soak Society, was founded in Coolum Beach, Queensland, Australia almost 7 years ago.

• Location: Coolum Beach, Queensland, Australia

At the time, I was working in a cafe in Brisbane while I finished off my communications degree, and the apartment I was in had a shower/bath type tub. It wasn’t the nicest tub.

I tried to make Sunday evenings my time to relax and unwind after a big weekend working on my feet. I would light candles and read a magazine in the bath, and I was making epsom salt and clay mixes with essential oils. At that point I had been toying with a few other business ideas, but then I realised the answer for a business was right in front of me - I had been creating this product that I enjoyed using, and I couldn’t find any other product in Australia like it at that time. I especially couldn’t find a brand that was a niche bath products brand.

Some good decisions have been to focus on my own physical, mental and emotional health by making sure I am eating well, sleeping and exercising. If I’m not in good shape then my business definitely isn’t. This includes lots of baths, of course!

bootstrapping-a-bath-products-brand-and-growing-to-18k-month

Natalie Thorogood, on starting Soak Society ($18,000/month) full story ➜

6. Protein water ($0/year)

The protein water business, Mindful Proteins, was founded in Portland, Oregon, USA over 2 years ago.

• Location: Portland, Oregon, USA

It sounds a little dramatic, but yoga saved my life. It set in motion a series of life-altering shifts that had me brutally examine what I ate, what I thought, and how I moved. Considering my demeanor 10 years ago, it is a miracle my wife remained married to me.

Soon after I sold my business, moved to Portland and met my wife, I tore both meniscuses in my knees, preventing me from walking up stairs without searing pain. Before my mother passed, she convinced me to avoid any medical procedures and instead try yoga. Without much conviction, I followed her advice, purchasing a beginners’ disc by Rodney Yee. Within three months of daily practice, I could run for the train!

We have been bootstrapping the business since filing the company papers in June of 2018. I run a climate finance consulting company and we divert as much revenue as we can towards investing in this business.

how-i-m-launching-a-food-startup-selling-protein-water-in-a-can

Sean Penrith, on starting Mindful Proteins ($0/month) full story ➜

7. Digital health app ($1.2M/year)

The medical app, Qolty, was founded in California, USA over 3 years ago.

• Location: California, USA

I am an emergency medicine fourth year resident at the Harvard Teaching Hospital Affiliates Massachusetts General Hospital and Brigham and Women’s Hospitals. Medicine has always been my love, and I am lucky to be able to practice it.

Conduct Science was born out of the evident need for cutting-edge research tools across the board. To achieve reliability across all research, the same standard of equipment should be used by every researcher.

Bootstrapping is a model which means that your company runs entirely on its own revenue. You grow with profits and revenue that your company generates, rather than inflate the value of the company with shareholders. Allowing revenue to drive the company means that you are really focused on the most important thing in business, which is your customer base.

leveraging-my-experience-as-a-doctor-to-create-a-digital-health-app

Shuhan He, on starting Qolty ($100,000/month) full story ➜

8. Luxury weighted blankets ($1.2M/year)

The weighted blankets brand, Baloo Living, was founded in New York, New York, USA over 2 years ago.

• Location: New York, New York, USA

In 2017 I quit my job in marketing and publishing in New York City and booked a one-way flight to Bali. I was completely burned out and confused about the direction of my life. I’d been working so hard, yet felt unfulfilled. In the process of leaving every familiar security behind, I came to understand that I’d been looking for wholeness through external validation. In the first weeks without a title, company, or convenient identity, I felt completely naked. Over the course of weeks that then became months, I softened my external cover and started to discover what life could be like when there’s nothing to prove, nothing to justify, and no one to impress; the experience of being enough, satisfied and happy, just because, was the greatest and most beautiful discovery!

I came back to New York City feeling so good and got smacked in the face with reverse culture shock. I tried to go back to life as I’d known it, but I had changed so much, I could never go back to working in an office for someone else. I’d spent almost all of my savings and had just a few thousand dollars left, but made the difficult decision to choose the path of uncertainty and risk, and go back to Bali with no income, with the intention of launching a business that I could run remotely and independently. In Bali, I met so many people running businesses while traveling, and I knew the secret to learning was to be surrounded by a community of kind people who could teach me.

Back in Bali, I quickly went through an online course to launch a brand through Amazon FBA. Through product research, I discovered weighted blankets, and less than a week later, booked a flight to visit with suppliers and pick up samples. The moment I tried my sample weighted blanket for the first time, everything changed--I fell in love with the surprising, deeply relaxing sensation that crept in. At that moment, this business went from a project to a passion; the miracle of our bodies to self regulate and heal when given a nurturing environment is amazing to me.

how-i-started-a-100k-month-business-selling-weighted-blankets-from-bali

Elizabeth Grojean, on starting Baloo Living ($100,000/month) full story ➜

9. Mobile wellness service ($72K/year)

The mobile yoga business, Chakra 5 Yoga, was founded in Los Angeles, California, USA almost 10 years ago.

• Location: Los Angeles, California, USA

After working for many years at a tech firm where I was often logging 70 hour weeks, I decided to take a sabbatical to study yoga.

You can really spin your mind up doing too much thinking sometimes. Get out and DO something...even if its a baby step towards your dream.

I received my registered yoga teacher training in 2009. I fell in love with yoga and started teaching pop up yoga classes around downtown LA, at places like the Fashion Institute, residential buildings, and art spaces, sometimes with a live musician accompanying.

how-i-started-a-mobile-yoga-studio

McKenna Rowe, on starting Chakra 5 Yoga ($6,000/month) full story ➜

10. Online coping and therapy ($120K/year)

The mental health startup, Coping Skills for Kids, was founded in Massachusetts, USA almost 5 years ago.

• Location: Massachusetts, USA

Several years ago, my husband and I read the 4 Hour Workweek by Tim Ferriss, and were really intrigued. We started doing a lot of thinking about changing our lifestyle.

We have two children, and at the time, we were both working full-time outside of the home. It didn’t feel quite right. We wanted to be able to spend more time with our children, so we discussed moving from working outside of the home to figuring out a way one or both of us could work from home.

I had a hard time dealing with failure in the beginning. Over time, I realized that I learned the most from my failures. Even though my subscription box failed, that actually made it easier for me to launch the next products I created.

how-a-therapist-increased-her-income-creating-products

Janine Halloran, on starting Coping Skills for Kids ($10,000/month) full story ➜

11. Natural health products ($900K/year)

The natural health product business, Sanuku APM, was founded in Remote over 3 years ago.

• Location: Remote

I worked a few different jobs after high school before deciding to tackle University in my early 20s. When I was one subject off finishing a Bachelor of Commerce degree (with a major in Accounting) I decided to venture to Japan – my neighbor and I planned for a 4-week summer vacation and both of us ended up staying almost 12 months. The working holiday visa program between Australia and Japan offers a fantastic opportunity for such experiences. There was something about the Japanese culture and structured manner of the society that really pulled my strings.

Be flexible and be open to the possibility (and real likelihood) you cannot get everything right all the time. Accept mistakes and move on.

I returned to Australia, completed my degree, and headed back to Japan the following year for a 6-year stay. During that time, I worked in a management position that I was fortunate enough to wrangle. That was an amazing period. I worked hard and taught myself Japanese to a reasonably proficient level. Most weekends during the winter season I went snowboarding, and every other weekend throughout the year, when there were waves, I went surfing.

how-i-started-a-75k-month-liposomal-natural-health-products-brand

Kel STUART, on starting Sanuku APM ($75,000/month) full story ➜

Starter Story,   Founder of Starter Story

Share the story of Starter Story!