20 Home Cooking Business Ideas To Start From Your Own Kitchen [2021]

20 Home Cooking Business Ideas To Start From Your Own Kitchen [2021]

Interested in starting a cooking from home business in 2021?

We put together 20 of the best cooking from home businesses you can start in today.

For each business idea, we’ll show you real-world examples of other cooking from home businesses to help you see what it really takes.

Here's the full list:

1. Start a healthy meal delivery service ($1.56M/year)

Cesar Quintero from Miami, Florida, USA started Fit2Go about 17 years ago, a healthy meal delivery service.

• Location: Miami, Florida, USA

I have an engineering degree and a corporate marketing background, and worked as a production engineer in Venezuela, specializing in logistics and project management. I also spent four years as a marketing manager in R&D for Proctor and Gamble in Latin America.

Three factors combined to fuel my move to Miami in 2005 and change my career path. First, things were economically tough in Venezuela. Second, I wanted to start a business. And finally, while I’d found weight management to be a lifelong struggle, the corporate lifestyle made it even more difficult. A hectic work schedule basically gives you two options—grab something from the vending machine or hit a fast food joint.

For a long time, I thought that being a good leader meant feigning total strength and confidence. This is a big problem with first-time and even many seasoned entrepreneurs—those negative connotations around the positive concept of vulnerability.

how-i-started-a-130k-month-healthy-meal-delivery-service-before-that-was-a-thing

Cesar Quintero, on starting Fit2Go ($130,000/month) full story ➜

2. Become a nutritionist ($24K/year)

Haley Hughes from Greeley, Colorado, USA started RDRx Nutrition over 7 years ago, a nutritionist.

• Location: Greeley, Colorado, USA

I have always been a strong-willed, hard-working, and sometimes stubborn person.

I’m definitely “The Achiever” on the enneagram test, so working for myself has been a great change for the most part. I stand up for what I believe in, especially when it comes to patient care.

After graduating with a Master’s degree in dietetics, completing a 2-year-long internship process and taking a huge exam I was so excited to start my career. My dream job (so I thought) was to be an intensive care unit dietitian, because I felt it would be challenging and rewarding.

leaving-my-9-to-5-to-start-my-own-nutrition-counseling-private-practice

Haley Hughes, on starting RDRx Nutrition ($2,000/month) full story ➜

3. Start a food blog ($180K/year)

Mason Woodruff from Austin, Texas, USA started Kinda Healthy Recipes over 4 years ago, a food blog.

• Location: Austin, Texas, USA

I started the blog in 2014 while wrapping up a degree in nutrition. Instead of pursuing a postgraduate dietetic internship to become a Registered Dietitian, I started a personal training business. The blog was a side project and portfolio for freelance writing until 2017 when I decided to take the leap and work on it full time.

Perfect is the enemy of good. If I’d waited for perfection to start, I’d still be waiting.

While the blog was only making a few hundred dollars per month at that point, I’d read a ton of success stories and saw huge potential in blogging. So I quit everything else, cashed in enough savings to give myself a 6-month runway, and started publishing as much content as possible.

how-i-started-a-15k-month-food-blog-for-fitness-enthusiasts

Mason Woodruff, on starting Kinda Healthy Recipes ($15,000/month) full story ➜

4. Start a gift baskets business ($24K/year)

Valentina from Brantford, ON, Canada started Really Luxe 12 months ago, a gift baskets business.

• Location: Brantford, ON, Canada

I worked as a Sales Associate for a well-known gift shop. I loved working for the company and was very passionate and believed in the company's culture and image.

The best part of the job was helping customers choose the perfect gift, suggest engraving messages and design ideas, and organizing inventory. I worked alongside awesome and amazing people! This was the first time I actually found a job that I truly was passionate about.

After the company closed down, I was very broken-hearted. This was the time when I also realized that I loved working with people, gift wrapping, and being able to use my creative talents and skills. Since I got laid off, due to company closure, this was the perfect time on reflecting where I would like to be professionally in my life.

on-starting-a-gift-baskets-online-shop

Valentina, on starting Really Luxe ($2,000/month) full story ➜

5. Start a hot sauce business ($27K/year)

Mustafa from Raleigh started Trini Pepper Sauce over 7 years ago, a hot sauce business.

• Location: Raleigh

My family is from the islands of Trinidad and Tobago, home to a distinct and exotic cuisine.

We launched a Kickstarter campaign that successfully raised over 32K, surpassing our 25K goal.

Served alongside these foods is a pepper sauce unique to every Trinidadian and Tobagonian family. My family’s pepper sauce recipe has been passed down five generations.

how-we-started-a-successful-hot-sauce-brand

Mustafa, on starting Trini Pepper Sauce ($2,250/month) full story ➜

6. Start a cooking class business ($1.2M/year)

Monika Reti from many, USA started Hipcooks over 7 years ago, a cooking class business.

• Location: many, USA

In true Hipcooks fashion: I’m not a culinary school graduate — I’m a hack! Here’s my story:

I’m first-generation American (Mom is from Germany and Dad from Argentina). My parents were young foreign students in the US and their friends were the other international students: I was a kid surrounded by people from different nationalities, like Spain, Russia, France, and the UK. I was a child foodie and loved to experience culture through food.

I caught the travel bug early, living in Argentina (studying economics in college), traveling through Europe, and moved to England for graduate school (I have a Master’s in Economics from LSE.) While in school, I cooked my way through a series of London restaurants in the gastro-boom of the ’90s, just for fun. My first job was on the West Coast, as an econometrician at the RAND Corporation.

how-i-started-a-cooking-classes-business-with-7-locations

Monika Reti, on starting Hipcooks ($100,000/month) full story ➜

7. Start a fresh pasta making business

Examples of a successful fresh pasta making business:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a fresh pasta making business:

Learn more about starting a fresh pasta making business ➜

8. Start a gourmet cookie making business

Examples of a successful gourmet cookie making business:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a gourmet cookie making business:

Learn more about starting a gourmet cookie making business ➜

9. Become a bed and breakfast owner

Examples of a successful bed and breakfast owner:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a bed and breakfast owner:

Learn more about starting a bed and breakfast owner ➜

10. Start a dry sweets making business

Examples of a successful dry sweets making business:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a dry sweets making business:

Learn more about starting a dry sweets making business ➜

11. Become a food photographer

Examples of a successful food photographer:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a food photographer:

Learn more about starting a food photographer ➜

12. Start a pickle business

Examples of a successful pickle business:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a pickle business:

Learn more about starting a pickle business ➜

13. Start a homemade foods business

Examples of a successful homemade foods business:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a homemade foods business:

Learn more about starting a homemade foods business ➜

14. Become a personal chef

Examples of a successful personal chef:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a personal chef:

Learn more about starting a personal chef ➜

15. Start a bakery

Examples of a successful bakery:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a bakery:

Learn more about starting a bakery ➜

16. Start a candy making business

Examples of a successful candy making business:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a candy making business:

Learn more about starting a candy making business ➜

17. Open a cafe

Examples of a successful cafe:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a cafe:

Learn more about starting a cafe ➜

18. Start a cake business

Examples of a successful cake business:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a cake business:

Learn more about starting a cake business ➜

19. Start a handmade chocolate business

Examples of a successful handmade chocolate business:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a handmade chocolate business:

Learn more about starting a handmade chocolate business ➜

20. Start a jam production business

Examples of a successful jam production business:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a jam production business:

Learn more about starting a jam production business ➜

Want to start your own business?

Hey! 👋I'm Pat Walls, the founder of Starter Story.

We interview successful business owners and share the stories behind their business. By sharing these stories, we want to help you get started.

Interested in starting your own business? Join Starter Story Premium to get the greatest companion to starting and growing your business:

• Connect + get advice from successful entrepreneurs
  • Step by step guides on how to start and grow
  • Exclusive and early access to the best case studies on the web
  • And much more!

Did you know that brands using Klaviyo average a 95x ROI?

Email, SMS, and more — Klaviyo brings your marketing all together, fueling growth without burning through time and resources.

Deliver more relevant email and text messages — powered by your data. Klaviyo helps you turn one-time buyers into repeat customers with all the power of an enterprise solution and none of the complexity.

Join Brumate, Beardbrand, and the 265,000 other businesses using Klaviyo to grow their online sales.

Try Klaviyo for free right now ➜