31 Profitable Event & Party Business Ideas

The events industry is still going strong - even if that may look a little different than before.

Although many events are going virtual and parties are looking a bit smaller, there's still a huge opportunity to innovate in the space and build a profitable business.

If you have a passion for events and parties and want to start your own business, look no further!

We've identified 31 business opportunities in the events space to get the wheels turning for you.

1. Start an event management company ($480K/year)

Celeste Durve from Los Angeles, California, USA started VIPER by KCH almost 4 years ago, a event management company.

• Location: Los Angeles, California, USA

Both of us were interns and freelance production assistants when we developed the idea for VIPER. We met while interning for Bolthouse Productions in 2014, a popular nightlife company.

We were working as production assistants on the side and were overworked and underpaid but we both had a ton of drive and ambition. One night towards the end of 2015, we bumped into each other while working the same event and were surprised to see the other person working.

In order to get this off the ground, we kept side jobs and pushed all the money back into the company and paying our staff.

this-all-female-entrepreneur-team-is-redefining-los-angeles-nightlife

Celeste Durve, on starting VIPER by KCH ($40,000/month) full story ➜

2. Start a virtual events business ($4M/year)

Natasha Miller from San Francisco, California, USA started Entire Productions almost 20 years ago, a virtual events business.

• Location: San Francisco, California, USA

I thought that I’d be a performing artist touring the world and although I did leave a mark with my performances at esteemed concert venues and recorded 7 CD’s that I produced under my boutique label Poignant Records, I found myself being double and triple booked for private parties (this is how many musicians add to their income when not touring, recording or teaching).

I didn’t take a salary for years which in hindsight was a mistake. Even a modest, regular salary is something I’d suggest for anyone starting their business.

Instead of turning down the business I’d explain to my clients that I was already booked but I could bring to their event a group that was as good as mine if not better and manage the whole process. What I didn’t know at the time was that I was creating a mini empire and becoming a budding entrepreneur.

how-natasha-miller-started-a-4m-event-management-company

Natasha Miller, on starting Entire Productions ($333,300/month) full story ➜

3. Start a balloon decor business ($240K/year)

Janeen Brown from Remote started Balloon Haus LLC almost 3 years ago, a balloon decor business.

• Location: Remote

I’ve always had quite the entrepreneurial spirit, always thinking of the next best idea which is how my first business was created - a non-profit focused on helping young women, followed by an employee concierge, I started with my father Jeluxxe Lifestyle Solutions. I was always intrigued to hear about others’ journeys and how they became full-time entrepreneurs but never thought I’d get there but here I am, thanks to Balloon Haus INC. As well as, reading and learning have always been an interest of mine, which is why I was able to start this “little balloon company.”

Balloon Haus was a random idea that turned a successful business. A client from one of my other companies was looking for balloon decor and my assistant agreed to help with finding a vendor. This was much harder than we thought it would be and with no luck, we turned to youtube and figured out how to create the requested installation ourselves and the rest was history. I registered the business the same day, contacted my father and he told me, “this was the best decision you have ever made.” This was the only validation that I needed to know, this was going to be a successful business.

DO NOT TAKE ON A DIFFICULT CUSTOMER. If you notice communicating with the customer from the beginning is not easy - do not continue as you will regret it and most likely end up with an unhappy customer by the end of the transaction.

how-i-started-a-20k-month-balloon-installations-and-decorations-business

Janeen Brown, on starting Balloon Haus LLC ($20,000/month) full story ➜

4. Start a party planning business

Examples of a successful party planning business:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a party planning business:

5. Start a cleaning service ($7.2M/year)

Ron Holt from Birmingham, Alabama, USA started Two Maids & A Mop over 17 years ago, a cleaning service.

• Location: Birmingham, Alabama, USA

I can still remember my first day on the job. I had just been hired as a Chemist for a particle analysis laboratory.

The job made a lot of sense at the time. I had recently graduated college with a Biology degree, and there’s only so many careers the degree can take you. So I took the first job offer that was presented to me and proudly bragged about my $22,500 annual salary. It seemed like so much money at the time, and I just knew that I was going to climb the corporate ladder quickly.

The true secret to my success has been to simply outwork and outpassion everyone in my path, every single day for nearly twenty-five years

how-warren-buffett-inspired-my-lifelong-journey-creating-a-25m-cleaning-empire

Ron Holt, on starting Two Maids & A Mop ($600,000/month) full story ➜

6. Start a party supply store ($3.6M/year)

Dean Salakas from Sydney, Australia started The Party People almost 21 years ago, a party supply store.

• Location: Sydney, Australia

30 years ago, my mum was “Patches The Clown” catering for kids parties. Her passion for parties led her to open a small party store with my grandfather. From the age of 4, I was put to work filling small bags with sand for 5 cents each which would be used to weigh down helium balloons on tables.

We love change. Every time something changes, there is an opportunity for us to be early and capitalize while everyone else drags their feet.

starting-a-party-store-and-growing-into-a-chain

Dean Salakas, on starting The Party People ($300,000/month) full story ➜

7. Start a food tour company ($420K/year)

Jessica Baumgart from Denver, Colorado, USA started Delicious Denver Food Tours about 3 years ago, a food tour company.

• Location: Denver, Colorado, USA

My background is in marketing and communications, which has helped me immensely as I grow my business. I was working a standard 9-5 job and feeling pretty unsatisfied when my then boyfriend (now husband) and I got the idea to quit and travel for a year.

On that trip around the world, I started to question why I was working in a career that was making me unhappy and resolved to start really listening to what my passions were.

We planned and saved over the course of two years (and got married in the meantime). Right after the wedding, we sold everything we owned, quit our jobs and went backpacking through 25 countries on a year-long trip around the world.

how-i-started-a-wildly-successful-food-tour-business

Jessica Baumgart, on starting Delicious Denver Food Tours ($35,000/month) full story ➜

8. Start a wedding planner business

Examples of a successful wedding planner business:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a wedding planner business:

9. Start a catering business ($240K/year)

Nestor Nidome from Crestmore, California, USA started Elegante Catering ago, a catering business.

• Location: Crestmore, California, USA

For as long as I can remember I have always been attracted to the idea of being a business owner. I’ve tried many businesses starting with my own DJ company. I got some business cards, printed them at Staples, passed them out, and waited for the calls.

It took a bit of time, but eventually, the calls started to come in and bookings started to happen. I did that for a couple of years until one of the DJ gigs some gangsters got into it and I was almost in the middle of a gang fight. Thank GOD things calmed down, but after that, I started looking for another business!

During this same time, the whole tech bubble was growing and I wanted a part of it. I took some coding classes in college and started using HTML to code my website from scratch. I kind of borrowed a lot of ideas from Yahoo but it was going to be mainly focused on my local city. I visited some businesses and got some of them to advertise. Things seemed to be going well when the bubble burst and I was once more left to venture out and look for something else.

how-i-found-success-with-a-20k-month-catering-company-after-starting-many-businesses

Nestor Nidome, on starting Elegante Catering ($20,000/month) full story ➜

10. Start a greeting card business ($600K/year)

Travis Peterson from Irvine, California, USA started Joker Greeting over 5 years ago, a greeting card business.

• Location: Irvine, California, USA

My background is in finance. I worked in investment banking for six years in New York. I loved the job, the people, and the hours. But as a service job I wanted to be making things not just helping others make things. This desire has led me to where I am today.

My brother and I have always loved to make fun of everything. Around 2014, we visited my mom’s house and she had this musical greeting card. We thought it was annoying. We asked each other, "Who wants to listen to this!?" Then Nick asked, “What if it didn’t stop?”

That was it. Nothing more. No market research.

launching-a-prank-card-and-growing-to-30k-mo

Travis Peterson, on starting Joker Greeting ($50,000/month) full story ➜

11. Start a party venue

Examples of a successful party venue:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a party venue:

12. Start a paint party business ($30K/year)

Kelly from California, USA started Brush Tokes almost 3 years ago, a paint party business.

• Location: California, USA

Kelly:

I got into a new relationship and was told that females tend to lack real hobbies. Not just make-up and toenails, a real hobby.

I remembered I liked art as a child so I started to self-learn how to again. Being naturally progressive, I decided it would be ideal to sell my art and eventually let it replace my workplace income of being a business teacher.

how-we-started-a-420-friendly-painting-class

Kelly , on starting Brush Tokes ($2,500/month) full story ➜

13. Start a wedding rental business ($60K/year)

Brittany Finkle from New York, USA started Happily Ever Borrowed over 9 years ago, a wedding rental business.

• Location: New York, USA

As far as my professional background, I went to Cornell University and studied Fiber Science Apparel Design - a degree based mostly in actual fashion design and construction.

I have three older sisters, and from the age of 12, I always helped plan their weddings. My one sister became engaged while I was at university and asked me to make her wedding dress. That was far too much pressure for me, but I offered to help shop with her.

When I saw the poor quality and construction of the gowns, I was horrified. All women deserve to wear quality products on their wedding day. Charging thousands of dollars for such poor construction was terrible!

starting-a-wedding-accessories-rental-business-and-growing-to-5-000-month

Brittany Finkle, on starting Happily Ever Borrowed ($5,000/month) full story ➜

14. Start a beach weddings and elopements company ($0/year)

Sha'Quanna Davis from Delray Beach, Florida, USA started Dreams & Details Events, LLC about 1 year ago, a Beach Weddings And Elopements Company.

• Location: Delray Beach, Florida, USA

I came up with the idea of Dreams & Details after losing my job for 5 years during a tough time in my life while being a single mother to an 11-year-old son. Failure was so scary.

I was at my desk one day and after being notified of the job loss I decided that I was going to follow my dreams of event planning. I had worked in public service for 10 years and served 8 years in the United States Army.

My mos in the Army was an Automated Logistical Supply Specialist and I hold a Bachelor of Arts degree in Speech Communications so I knew I had what it took to host, plan, manage events and execute events. I have always enjoyed planning events and organizing projects.

on-starting-a-beach-weddings-and-elopements-company

Sha'Quanna Davis, on starting Dreams & Details Events, LLC ($0/month) full story ➜

15. Start an A/V equipment rental

Examples of a successful A/V equipment rental:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a A/V equipment rental:

16. Start a game rental business

Examples of a successful game rental business:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a game rental business:

17. Start a furniture rental

Examples of a successful furniture rental:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a furniture rental:

18. Start a drinking tour business

Examples of a successful drinking tour business:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a drinking tour business:

19. Become a cake decorator

Examples of a successful cake decorator:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a cake decorator:

20. Start a holiday decorating service

Examples of a successful holiday decorating service:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a holiday decorating service:

21. Become an event promotor

Examples of a successful event promotor:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a event promotor:

22. Become a local event artist

Examples of a successful local event artist:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a local event artist:

23. Start a special event security

Examples of a successful special event security:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a special event security:

24. Start an event IT support business

Examples of a successful event IT support business:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a event IT support business:

25. Become a face painter

Examples of a successful face painter:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a face painter:

26. Start a shaved ice business

Examples of a successful shaved ice business:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a shaved ice business:

27. Become a mobile DJ

Examples of a successful mobile DJ:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a mobile DJ:

28. Start a bar crawl business

Examples of a successful bar crawl business:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a bar crawl business:

29. Start a comedy club

Examples of a successful comedy club:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a comedy club:

30. Start a gift wrapping service

Examples of a successful gift wrapping service:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a gift wrapping service:

31. Start a gift baskets business

Examples of a successful gift baskets business:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a gift baskets business:

Starter Story,   Founder of Starter Story

Share the story of Starter Story!