32 WordPress Plugin Business Ideas You Can Start Today [2021]

32 WordPress Plugin Business Ideas You Can Start Today [2021]

Interested in starting a wordpress plugin business in 2021?

We put together 32 of the best wordpress plugin businesses you can start in today.

For each business idea, we’ll show you real-world examples of other wordpress plugin businesses to help you see what it really takes.

Here's the full list:

1. Start a wordpress maintenance services ($72K/year)

Jason Correia from London, England, United Kingdom started WP Manager over 4 years ago, a wordpress maintenance services.

• Location: London, England, United Kingdom

I wrote my first line of code at ten years old. It was part of an online game (not even a good one), and of course, at that age, I wasn’t a particularly skilled developer. Actually, I had no idea I had even written HTML, or what coding even was. Anyway, looking back - those few (badly written) lines of code actually helped develop and shape my career over time.

Fast-forwarding around 15 years on and many failed startups later, I was working at a large logistics business as their digital strategist (which basically just meant that I was the web developer, digital marketeer, and ad-hoc IT guy). At this time, I had worked in several different roles inside and out of the digital industry - web design, digital marketing, sales but I still had no real idea what my big idea would be for a business and had grown very realistic and weary of the hype around the startup space.

Despite what I thought was a relatively stable career choice, I still had an overdraft that just never seemed to disappear. I was tired, miserable, and stressed. I never really had the time or energy left for anything beyond what was quite a lot of responsibility at my day to day job.

how-i-started-a-6k-month-wordpress-maintenance-subscription-service

2. Start a wordpress resource business ($97.2K/year)

Kevin Koskella from Austin, Texas, USA started Work Hero over 3 years ago, a wordpress resource business.

• Location: Austin, Texas, USA

After spending some time in the corporate world and hating it, I got laid off and was forced to either find another job or start something myself. The idea of another job didn’t interest me, as I couldn’t seem to fit in with work/corporate/office life.

Finding places where small and solo business owners hang out was a much better way to attract customers. Now as we move more into content marketing, we will be attracting the right customers.

I instead went with my passions at the time with fitness and sport and started coaching a local master (adult) swim team making $12/hour for a few hours of work a week.

This led to giving swim lessons and designing programs for triathletes (swim, bike, run) to accomplish a distance or open water swim.

I started taking this online, and I eventually got my start in the world of online business with triswimcoach.com – swimming training for triathlons. I hired VA’s, then teams, to help build and run my niche business.

And this building of teams and solving problems online led me to start Work Hero.

My original plan was to offer these three categories as a productized service, where businesses could pay monthly for the design/development/VA services, instead of having to go out and hire everyone themselves.

how-i-started-a-1-4k-month-wordpress-support-service

3. Start a virtual assistant business ($12K/year)

Julmar Grace Locsin from Davao City, Davao del Sur, Philippines started FVA Business Consultancy ago, a virtual assistant business.

• Location: Davao City, Davao del Sur, Philippines

Ten years ago, my husband and I were working in an office set-up. Due to a mix of struggles experienced, my husband and I decided to quit our job and transition into freelancing. The transition phase was difficult since we didn't have the facilities needed like a computer and internet connection. We worked in an internet cafe for the first month of our freelancing career until we bought our personal computer and had our internet connection.

We had experience downtime in our new career at first, but we grow and learn from our mistakes as we go along. Freelancing changed the quality of our lives, our family, and so with our marriage. We embrace these benefits to realize that if mothers can work at home, they can earn while taking care of their family.

Another thing is the overseas workers. They have been working far from their family to make a living. Those who are exhausted and feel unproductive because of many circumstances like long hours of commute eat a lot of their time, endangering their work-life balance. These are a few of our realizations why we come up with putting Filipino Virtual Assistance. Because we know how difficult it is to work far from our family, we want to empower Filipino families, one freelancer at a time. We want to provide our graduates an avenue to earn dollars at their homes' comfort, without the hassle of traffic, toxicity of the environment, and an excellent opportunity for those who never got the chance to go to College.

on-starting-a-business-training-virtual-assistants

4. Start an affiliate marketing business ($960K/year)

Spencer Mecham from Highland started Buildapreneur over 4 years ago, a affiliate marketing business.

• Location: Highland

I first heard about affiliate marketing when I was working at a digital marketing agency after college. One of my co-workers showed me a blog that he had started that was bringing in a fairly significant income.

All the blog did to make money was review vacuum cleaners.

My business is currently yielding more than half a million dollars a year in profits. And it does that with very little expense.

my-affiliate-marketing-business-earns-500k-year-profit-no-employees

5. Start a wordpress template business ($132K/year)

Sam from Kalamazoo, MI, USA started Sam Munoz Consulting, LLC almost 4 years ago, a wordpress template business.

• Location: Kalamazoo, MI, USA

It was 7:00 pm, about 8 days before Christmas in 2017 when my boss sent me a text message “Can I call?”.

I’d been in the tech industry as a software developer for a while now, so a late-night chat wasn’t necessarily out of the ordinary - especially if one of our clients had an unexpected, catastrophic error that couldn’t wait until the morning.

“Of course!” I said.

how-i-started-a-9k-month-wordpress-templates-business

6. Start a podcasting business ($360K/year)

Marti Sanchez from Charlotte started Influence Podium about 2 years ago, a podcasting business.

• Location: Charlotte

The idea behind Influence Podium started back in college. I used to play NCAA basketball and we could only work a certain number of hours per week. As an immigrant who had just moved from Barcelona, I would “ghostwrite” my classmates’ papers for $10/page (money back if I got them less than a B, of course).

After I graduated, I had a short stint in finances (I lasted 30 days) until I quit and moved back to Spain. There, I went back to the one skill I knew I had -- writing.

I wrote on Quora for 6 months, got 2 million views, and a few people started reaching out to me to ghostwrite for them. They happened to be B2B CEOs, and that’s when I learned the power of content, personal branding, and inbound marketing.

how-i-started-a-30k-month-personal-branding-content-service-for-b2b-ceos

7. Start an online courses business ($1.44M/year)

Rasmus & Christian Mikkelsen (or Mikkelsen Twins) from Chester, New Jersey, USA started Mikkelsen Twins over 3 years ago, a online courses business.

• Location: Chester, New Jersey, USA

We never had a moment like “Ah ha! Let’s start an online education company!”, it just naturally evolved and grew into what it is today.

But I can tell you exactly how we got here. Before we get into how we first discovered what entrepreneurship even is, I want to paint the picture of what life was like even before that.

Up until we were 21 years old, we were 2 guys just going through life on autopilot with no regard for the future. Worrying about what my next week would look like was hard enough. Then we basically “woke up” and found ourselves in a 1 bedroom apartment in Aarhus, Denmark, not showing up to our part-time job anymore and smoking pot every day. For the first time, we reflected on ourselves, what we were doing and we just felt embarrassed. We were wasting our precious time away doing absolutely nothing. I don’t want to get too into the emotions felt, but it was a rock bottom for us. Long story short, we have a private twin meeting and said to each other “this is f\cking sad, we have to change”. And because we had each other, we developed motivation and ambition to prove we weren’t useless, waste-of-space losers (but that’s exactly how we had acted).

how-we-launched-a-120k-month-audiobook-publishing-course

8. Start a content writing company ($840K/year)

Julia McCoy from Georgetown, TX, USA started Express Writers over 9 years ago, a content writing company.

• Location: Georgetown, TX, USA

I found the freelance writing market in 2011 after signing up to sites that offered writing work. It was a fairly new and burgeoning market at the time, even if the rates offered on the platforms I started on were abysmal. Taking a ton of low-paying gigs was how I molded my first online writing skills. As I accumulated work, continually hit my deadlines, and exceeded expectations, the work brought referral work. Within three months of starting my entire freelance writing pursuit, I had more work than I could handle. So, I started a business, created it on the spot, and named it Express Writers.

We got clients on day one and continued to get them because I went and got them. I would get up at 4 a.m. and send out 100 emails a day to new leads.

We’ve never had funding. We’ve never sought it. Everything was a day-by-day, gut-instinct, move-fast process, and we have always had to pivot and learn how to reshape and reapproach when failures happened. I went with it and found joy because I was walking in my passion (writing). What I’ve learned is that this move-fast process is behind some of the most successful businesses in the world. Success loves speed. Failure attaches to slowness. Our quick responses and agile adaptations, or the “hard-knocks life” if you want to describe it more accurately, helped us maintain and grow our place in the market.

growing-a-writing-business-with-an-ecommerce-shop-to-70k-mrr-at-27-years-old

9. Start a wordpress developer business

Examples of a successful wordpress developer business:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a wordpress developer business:

Learn more about starting a wordpress developer business ➜

10. Start a wordpress interviewer business

Examples of a successful wordpress interviewer business:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a wordpress interviewer business:

Learn more about starting a wordpress interviewer business ➜

11. Start a premium forums business

Examples of a successful premium forums business:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a premium forums business:

Learn more about starting a premium forums business ➜

12. Start an e-book writing business

Examples of a successful e-book writing business:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a e-book writing business:

Learn more about starting an e-book writing business ➜

13. Start a wordpress job listing business ($1.2M/year)

Examples of a successful wordpress job listing business:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a wordpress job listing business:

Learn more about starting a wordpress job listing business ➜

And for some real world inspiration, give Katie Keith's story on creating Barn2 Plugins a read:

Hi, I’m Katie from Barn2 Plugins. We sell innovative software products which add extra features to websites that are built on the popular WordPress and WooCommerce platforms.

We now have 16 products that generate over $100,000 in monthly revenue.

we-now-sell-over-1-2m-year-of-plugins

Katie Keith, on starting Barn2 Plugins ($100,000/month) full story ➜

14. Start a wordpress news blogging business

Examples of a successful wordpress news blogging business:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a wordpress news blogging business:

Learn more about starting a wordpress news blogging business ➜

15. Start a wordpress marketing business

Examples of a successful wordpress marketing business:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a wordpress marketing business:

Learn more about starting a wordpress marketing business ➜

16. Start a tutorial blogging business

Examples of a successful tutorial blogging business:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a tutorial blogging business:

Learn more about starting a tutorial blogging business ➜

17. Start a premium wordpress child theme designing business

Examples of a successful premium wordpress child theme designing business:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a premium wordpress child theme designing business:

Learn more about starting a premium wordpress child theme designing business ➜

18. Start a wordpress security business

Examples of a successful wordpress security business:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a wordpress security business:

Learn more about starting a wordpress security business ➜

19. Start a wordpress reviewer business

Examples of a successful wordpress reviewer business:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a wordpress reviewer business:

Learn more about starting a wordpress reviewer business ➜

20. Start a wordpress consulting business

Examples of a successful wordpress consulting business:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a wordpress consulting business:

Learn more about starting a wordpress consulting business ➜

21. Start a web design and development blogging business

Examples of a successful web design and development blogging business:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a web design and development blogging business:

Learn more about starting a web design and development blogging business ➜

22. Start a wordpress memberships business

Examples of a successful wordpress memberships business:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a wordpress memberships business:

Learn more about starting a wordpress memberships business ➜

23. Start a wordpress website as a service designing business

Examples of a successful wordpress website as a service designing business:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a wordpress website as a service designing business:

Learn more about starting a wordpress website as a service designing business ➜

24. Start a wordpress instructor business

Examples of a successful wordpress instructor business:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a wordpress instructor business:

Learn more about starting a wordpress instructor business ➜

25. Start a premium divi layout designing business

Examples of a successful premium divi layout designing business:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a premium divi layout designing business:

Learn more about starting a premium divi layout designing business ➜

26. Start a Premium plugin development business

Examples of a successful Premium plugin development business:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a Premium plugin development business:

Learn more about starting a Premium plugin development business ➜

27. Start a wordpress ecommerce business

Examples of a successful wordpress ecommerce business:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a wordpress ecommerce business:

Learn more about starting a wordpress ecommerce business ➜

28. Start a web flipping business

Examples of a successful web flipping business:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a web flipping business:

Learn more about starting a web flipping business ➜

29. Create a wordpress theme

Examples of a successful wordpress theme:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a wordpress theme:

Learn more about starting a wordpress theme ➜

30. Start a wordpress freemium plugins development business

Examples of a successful wordpress freemium plugins development business:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a wordpress freemium plugins development business:

Learn more about starting a wordpress freemium plugins development business ➜

31. Start a website hosting platform

Examples of a successful website hosting platform:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a website hosting platform:

Learn more about starting a website hosting platform ➜

32. Start a wordpress UI & UX designing business

Examples of a successful wordpress UI & UX designing business:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a wordpress UI & UX designing business:

Learn more about starting a wordpress UI & UX designing business ➜

Want to start your own business?

Hey! 👋I'm Pat Walls, the founder of Starter Story.

We interview successful business owners and share the stories behind their business. By sharing these stories, we want to help you get started.

Interested in starting your own business? Join Starter Story Premium to get the greatest companion to starting and growing your business:

• Connect + get advice from successful entrepreneurs
  • Step by step guides on how to start and grow
  • Exclusive and early access to the best case studies on the web
  • And much more!

Did you know that brands using Klaviyo average a 95x ROI?

Email, SMS, and more — Klaviyo brings your marketing all together, fueling growth without burning through time and resources.

Deliver more relevant email and text messages — powered by your data. Klaviyo helps you turn one-time buyers into repeat customers with all the power of an enterprise solution and none of the complexity.

Join Brumate, Beardbrand, and the 265,000 other businesses using Klaviyo to grow their online sales.

Try Klaviyo for free right now ➜