This is an archive of the Starter Story newsletter, which is read by 161K people every week.
In each issue, we share the biggest business ideas that are working today, along with case studies of founders who are making millions every month. Sign up today ➜
Ian created a software that helps businesses get more reviews from their customers. He developed the first version with someone he hired on Upwork and since, he’s been able to grow to $300K/month. You can tell Ian is a real hustler by reading how he got the first clients (always one of the toughest steps).
Plus, learn how other starters from different spaces bootstrapped their businesses and were able to grow them into huge companies:
Let me start with 2 quick stats:
- Holiday emails with personalized subject lines are 26% more likely to be opened
- Email marketing accounts for 20% of holiday sales
With Black Friday (and Christmas) right around the corner, I’ve put together a guide (with real examples) to help you take advantage of the holiday mood to drive more sales by sending holiday email campaigns to your subscribers.
Last year we created a special Holiday Campaign following that same guide and the results speak for themselves:
And if you need even more inspiration, here are some case studies of businesses that grew thanks to mastering email campaigns:
- A 23-year-old founder grew BruMate to $1M/month
- $100K/month with a beard products ecommerce
- This ecommerce grew 30% YoY thanks to email marketing
From personal blog to $5B IPO
Launched in 2009, NerdWallet is a company that provides financial support to consumers through educational content, and could seek a valuation of up to $5bn. According to Coverager, the company had an average of 21 million monthly unique users in the first half of this year and a revenue of $181.6M.
This is a great example of how blogs can become huge businesses. These are my 3 favorite things about them:
- They can be easily run by one person
- Require low maintenance
- Lots of monetization options (ads, premium content, sponsorships)
I’ve put together an inspiring list of 40 people making lots of money with their blogs. Here are a few case studies that I especially like:
- Jeff has grown his financial advice blog to $50K/mo
- Praveen makes $17K/mo blogging about a niche topic: project management
- Carly’s mom lifestyle blog generates $10K/mo
So you want to start a business but you don't have a good idea?
Don't worry, you are not alone! This is probably the most common thing that we hear from readers at Starter Story.
Finding a "good idea" is not only hard, but it's a really big decision. Once you pick something, you might be stuck with it for a while - so it's important to make sure you do your due diligence.
In this post, I’ll give you 12 ways to find an idea with real-world examples from proven entrepreneurs. If you want even more inspiration check out these 52 business ideas you can start with little capital and our Ideas Database with 6.400+ business ideas.
Trending articles this week
- I bootstrapped a $60M/year global payroll solution
- We created a $60K/year AI-based college finding service
- Gated content marketing for lead generation (with examples)
- I make $2.4M/year helping businesses deal with bad online reviews
- How to become an expert at cold calling
- From designing websites for $200 to starting a $600K/year web design agency
- I doubled my ecommerce revenue in 1 year
- $276K/year creating content for B2B tech companies
- The marketer's guide to reddit + 3 real world success stories
- I built a smart ad creator that generates $1M/year
Thanks for reading!
Discover the best strategies of successful business owners
Join our newsletter and receive our handcrafted recap with the best insights shared by founders in Starter Story each week.
Useful, convenient, and free:
Did you know that brands using Klaviyo average a 95x ROI?
Email, SMS, and more — Klaviyo brings your marketing all together, fueling growth without burning through time and resources.
Deliver more relevant email and text messages — powered by your data. Klaviyo helps you turn one-time buyers into repeat customers with all the power of an enterprise solution and none of the complexity.