This is an archive of the Starter Story newsletter, which is read by 230K people every week.
In each issue, we share the biggest business ideas that are working today, along with case studies of founders who are making millions every month. Sign up today ➜
Reid has absolutely been murdering the TikTok game, garnering 7.1M likes, 169K followers, and over 100M views across his social channels combined.
What’s his secret? He listened to his audience. Originally, the Scruffie was intended to be a neck shaver. But once he started hearing that female customers were actually using the Scruffie to shave their legs, he pivoted.
He posted a leg shaving demo of the Scruffie and it went absolutely viral, garnering 1.6M views…
Want to make TikTok work for your business?
Have you thought of trying out TikTok? I think it probably has the highest upside right now of any social media platform. Why?
- It’s low budget (all you need is your phone)
- It takes very little time to create good content
- Users with no following can go viral (within hours)
Here are some more founders that are making TikTok work:
- Learn how Kayla ($1.2M/year skincare brand) grew TikTok to 160K followers
- Kanga ($100k/month) gets millions of free views every month on TikTok
- Niki says most people tell her they found her brand through TikTok
Already have some content that has worked well on Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, etc? We also put together a guide of how to repurpose your existing content on TikTok.
Looking for an idea? Here are 47 business ideas that are trending on TikTok.
Idea Drop helps companies innovate with software that helps them catalog and prioritize all of their ideas.
I think this is a really cool business because it’s an easy sell to bigger, enterprise companies that are struggling to innovate. They have some customers like MTV, and even have sold their product to a police force… Cool!
Read the full story.
We just caught up again with Olivier from Ekster. They make wallets that have trackable cards inside them (no more losing your wallet).
In the last year, they quadrupled their revenue. How did they do it? Read the full story for more.
Adam worked in the theatre industry, and once the pandemic hit, he had to find new work. That prompted him to start a side hustle selling candles.
He’s now on track to make a full time income, read the full story.
Want to start a business but don’t have a co-founder? That’s where I was before I started Starter Story. Now
- Ekster is looking for Head Of Growth and Head Of Influencer Marketing.
- Hairstory ($30M/Year Hair Care Products) Head of Marketing and Product Manager.
- Ora ($21K/Month Project Management System) Junior Frontend Developer and Sales.
- Laxis (Next Generation AI meeting assistant) Engineer, Designer, Growth Marketer and Community Manager.
- Rejoin Media ($100K/Month Portfolio Of Web-Based Businesses) Experts in podcast growth and eCommerce.
Want to start your own business?
Hey! 👋I'm Pat Walls, the founder of Starter Story.
We interview successful business owners and share the stories behind their business. By sharing these stories, we want to help you get started.
Interested in starting your own business? Join Starter Story Premium to get the greatest companion to starting and growing your business:
- Connect + get advice from successful entrepreneurs
- Step by step guides on how to start and grow
- Exclusive and early access to the best case studies on the web
- And much more!
Did you know that brands using Klaviyo average a 95x ROI?
Email, SMS, and more — Klaviyo brings your marketing all together, fueling growth without burning through time and resources.
Deliver more relevant email and text messages — powered by your data. Klaviyo helps you turn one-time buyers into repeat customers with all the power of an enterprise solution and none of the complexity.