This is an archive of the Starter Story newsletter, which is read by 233K people every week.
In each issue, we share the biggest business ideas that are working today, along with case studies of founders who are making millions every month. Sign up today ➜
1 niche + 1 problem + 1 service = $100K business
We first interviewed Chase on Starter Story a while ago when he shared how he started a $55K/mo email marketing agency focused on ecommerce, and we followed up a few years later to find out how he grew the business 300% in that time.
At Starter Story we are firm believers that - even if making your target market smaller might seem counterintuitive - going niche is a great way to start building a lucrative business.
Learn from these entrepreneurs who succeeded by following this strategy:
- $48K/year newsletter for sneakerheads
- $1.8M/year selling Southern gift baskets
- $8K/month posting about sports bets
- $12K/month niche investing community
What kind of business can achieve this, you may be wondering? Discount mattresses.
Do you know the saying “one man’s trash is another man’s treasure”? Well, this is really the case. By contacting factories, they landed contracts to purchase factory-blemished samples, R&D products, and warranty returns that they would sell with huge discounts.
Can you think of another space where this could be replicated? You may have a huge opportunity in front of you.
Also, David is a genius. His trick to steal web traffic from competitors is brilliant, don’t miss it!
The truth is that most businesses in the homeware space tend to have high tickets, which usually means high margins. That’s why we have so many examples of highly profitable businesses in our database:
- $9M/year selling mattresses online
- $18K/month smart home appliances online store
- $100K/Month weighted blankets brand
Some of the most successful businesses started as side projects. Apple, Instagram, Twitter and Craiglist all started as side projects!
If you are interested in starting a business but you still have a full-time job, you must pick an idea that can work with your busy work schedule, preferably something you can work during nights and weekends.
We’ve put together 45 business ideas for people with a full-time job - all of these ideas come from real-world examples of entrepreneurs starting while they had a job.
Jeff is one of the three co-founders of Tiny Away - a network of tiny houses for people looking for a different experience.
He shares the company’s journey with an incredible level of detail. Including the 7 strategies that they’ve used to grow their business (i.e.: leveraging platforms, user-generated content). It is truly an amazing breakdown.
If you’re looking for ways to grow your business, don’t forget to check our growth database with 200 marketing tactics.
While building apps for Shopify, Artyom realized he had to concentrate on his flagship product – an application to automate upselling and cross-selling. Instead of developing new apps, they focused on growing the one that showed traction.
Their biggest win besides having a killer product? They found an acquisition channel that brings over 50% of their traffic.
Shopify is a platform that keeps growing and growing, with almost 2M merchants (using 6 apps on average), Shopify app developers earned more than $230 million last year; which means that the opportunities to make money in that space are also growing. These are some examples of successful case studies that we’ve published:
- A $29K/month WhatsApp plugin for Shopify
- This analytics app for Shopify reached $12K MRR in just 7 months
- These two Shopify apps generate $42K/month
Want to start a Shopify-related business idea but not quite sure what to start? Check out these 40 business ideas (with real-life successful examples) that you can start today.
Trending articles this week
- Reaching $450K/month and getting acquired
- How we grew revenue to $10.6M in 2020
- I started doing SEO at 13, now I make over $4M/year with it
- On starting the Amazon of business documents
- From making extra income with affiliate websites to building a $360k/year business
- Making $1M/year with CBD treats that calm anxious dogs
- We turned our passion for sustainability into a $2.4M/year hair & body care brand
- Tired of bad hosting services, we decided to start our own [now a $3.6M/year business]
- We developed a $12M/year property management SaaS for landlords
- In 15 minutes I coded a $360k/year TikTok & Instagram automation tool
Thanks for reading!
Discover the best strategies of successful business owners
Join our newsletter and receive our handcrafted recap with the best insights shared by founders in Starter Story each week.
Useful, convenient, and free:
Did you know that brands using Klaviyo average a 95x ROI?
Email, SMS, and more — Klaviyo brings your marketing all together, fueling growth without burning through time and resources.
Deliver more relevant email and text messages — powered by your data. Klaviyo helps you turn one-time buyers into repeat customers with all the power of an enterprise solution and none of the complexity.