28 Profitable Real Estate Business Ideas You Can Start In 2021

Starter Story

From becoming a landlord, to starting a realty busienss, we put together 28 potential business ideas you can build around the real estate industry!

Check out the list.

1. Become a real estate agent ($4.2M/year)

Grigory Pekarsky from Chicago, Illinois, USA started Vesta Preferred Realty over 11 years ago, a real estate agent.

• Location: Chicago, Illinois, USA

I stumbled into real estate. There is no personal history with real estate in my family or in anything I got into as a young kid trying to find my way.

I realized my real competitive edge was that I always picked up the phone, showed up every day and just did the work. Everyone always thinks there is some secret the most successful real estate agents keep to themselves.

My studies were actually centered in Veterinary Medicine at Michigan State University (Go Green!). By Junior year it became apparent to me that I love animals but not so much the idea of being a Vet. So I did a 180 degree turn and finished with a Finance Major.

how-i-became-a-real-estate-agent-and-started-my-own-firm

Grigory Pekarsky, on starting Vesta Preferred Realty ($350,000/month) full story ➜

2. Become a freelance app development business ($960K/year)

Andrew Askins from started Krit almost 7 years ago, a freelance app development business.

• Location:

I never set out to start a software agency. Growing up I never thought I would be an entrepreneur, or even get into tech.

But when I got to college I decided to take an intro to Computer Science class. My plan at the time was to teach math in the Peace Corps. I didn’t like math enough to be a math major but figured Computer Science would be interesting and involve a lot of math.

Learn what makes you great and where you need help. It will be worth every penny.

how-i-started-a-69k-month-software-agency-after-a-failed-product-launch

Andrew Askins, on starting Krit ($80,000/month) full story ➜

3. Start an airbnb management company ($420K/year)

Gary Fox from Dublin, Ireland started Host Butlers over 5 years ago, a airbnb management company.

• Location: Dublin, Ireland

I’ve been starting businesses since I was 15. During school, I worked part-time in a mobile phone store and learned how to fix phones. During the weekends, I started my own market stall and advertised online to fix phones, replace screens, and started to earn cash that way. During college, I scaled up this business to a physical location at the University I was attending here in Ireland. I approached the college and rented an office space from them and opened my first store!

I was terrified of running out of money and for the first 18 months, I ran the company entirely on my own. I remember one particular day where I met 18 different guests at 18 different locations across the city.

Between classes, I would work in the store and when I was in class, I hired classmates and friends to work for me. Looking back now, it was an incredibly fun time but I wish I hadn’t reinvested so much money in the college bar!

how-i-bootstrapped-an-airbnb-management-service-to-35k-month

Gary Fox, on starting Host Butlers ($35,000/month) full story ➜

4. Start a real estate investment club ($7.2M/year)

Greg Salley from San Diego, California, USA started Equity Residences over 8 years ago, a real estate investment club.

• Location: San Diego, California, USA

My background is varied as an experienced investor, management executive, and consultant. I’ve worked in several industries spanning technology, automotive, media, and entertainment. However, my passions include real estate design and architecture, investing, and travel. Living in London, Paris, Nice, Sydney, and Singapore has helped me develop a global perspective.

I’ve invested in residential real estate for nearly twenty years with experience ranging from new construction, to remodels and distressed assets. After the 2008 financial crash, I began acquiring foreclosures in California and Nevada at deep discounts. Based on this success, I decided to launch an investment fund.

While researching target markets, I noted that second homes in vacation destinations were taking longer to recover from the financial crises than primary residences and could be acquired at deep discounts. Cap rates were also attractive with the right vacation rentals able to generate as much rent in one week as many long-term rentals might generate in a month. It was also an opportunity to capitalize on an emerging trend for the shared use of assets.

how-we-started-a-40m-real-estate-investment-fund

Greg Salley, on starting Equity Residences ($600,000/month) full story ➜

5. Start a moving company ($1.38M/year)

Max Maher from Chandler, Arizona, USA started Skinny Wimp Moving about 5 years ago, a moving company.

• Location: Chandler, Arizona, USA

I didn’t exactly come up with the initial idea for this company because this is a franchise which means for me that I license out the name “Skinny Wimp Moving”. However, because it was the first franchise location I was able to be in a prime decision-making seat and guinea pig for all ideas enabling me to test out theories on marketing and customer service which have no become standard across the brand.

Put yourself out there and ask for their business. Sure be conscious that you may get rejected but don’t be afraid to ask more than once. It won’t work every time but it will work 100% more than not trying at all.

We realized people simply don’t want a moving company that sucks. So we asked ourselves what can we do to make the stressful experience of moving suck a little less and the answers we came up with and stuck to were very common sense:

how-i-started-a-1m-year-moving-company-at-19-years-old

Max Maher, on starting Skinny Wimp Moving ($115,000/month) full story ➜

6. Start a cleaning service ($7.2M/year)

Ron Holt from Birmingham, Alabama, USA started Two Maids & A Mop almost 18 years ago, a cleaning service.

• Location: Birmingham, Alabama, USA

I can still remember my first day on the job. I had just been hired as a Chemist for a particle analysis laboratory.

The job made a lot of sense at the time. I had recently graduated college with a Biology degree, and there’s only so many careers the degree can take you. So I took the first job offer that was presented to me and proudly bragged about my $22,500 annual salary. It seemed like so much money at the time, and I just knew that I was going to climb the corporate ladder quickly.

The true secret to my success has been to simply outwork and outpassion everyone in my path, every single day for nearly twenty-five years

how-warren-buffett-inspired-my-lifelong-journey-creating-a-25m-cleaning-empire

Ron Holt, on starting Two Maids & A Mop ($600,000/month) full story ➜

7. Become a landlord

Examples of a successful landlord:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a landlord:

8. Start an online courses business ($60K/year)

Lidiya Kesarovska from The Netherlands started Let's Reach Success almost 8 years ago, a online courses business.

• Location: The Netherlands

Back in 2013, I had already discovered my passion - personal development - and had realized writing is the best way to express myself. So I combined these and started a self-improvement blog.

Starting the blog was the best decision and not giving up on it over the years (even when no traffic or money was coming in) was what helped me move forward.

It was first just a hobby and I knew nothing about blogging. Over the years, after publishing a ton of content, gaining traffic, learning about SEO, email marketing, social media, and all the ways to monetize a blog, it became a real business.

how-i-created-a-5k-month-online-course-about-blogging

Lidiya Kesarovska, on starting Let's Reach Success ($5,000/month) full story ➜

9. Start a property flipping business

Examples of a successful property flipping business:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a property flipping business:

10. Become a property manager

Examples of a successful property manager:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a property manager:

11. Become a real estate bird dog

Examples of a successful real estate bird dog:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a real estate bird dog:

12. Start a real estate appraisal service

Examples of a successful real estate appraisal service:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a real estate appraisal service:

13. Become a real estate photographer

Examples of a successful real estate photographer:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a real estate photographer:

14. Start a construction company

Examples of a successful construction company:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a construction company:

15. Become a real estate broker

Examples of a successful real estate broker:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a real estate broker:

16. Become a real estate investor

Examples of a successful real estate investor:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a real estate investor:

17. Start a real estate marketing agency

Examples of a successful real estate marketing agency:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a real estate marketing agency:

18. Start a real estate blog

Examples of a successful real estate blog:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a real estate blog:

19. Become an airbnb host

Examples of a successful airbnb host:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a airbnb host:

20. Start a real estate podcast

Examples of a successful real estate podcast:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a real estate podcast:

21. Start a real estate inspections business

Examples of a successful real estate inspections business:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a real estate inspections business:

22. Start a home staging service

Examples of a successful home staging service:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a home staging service:

23. Start a home repair services business

Examples of a successful home repair services business:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a home repair services business:

24. Start a landscaping business ($13.2M/year)

Examples of a successful landscaping business:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a landscaping business:

Check out all of our landscaping business case studies ➜

And for some real world inspiration, give Terry Morrill's story on creating Pacific Outdoor Living a read:

I'm Terry Morrill, the owner of Pacific Outdoor Living, Pacific Pavingstone, and creator of the AIMM System. At Pacific Outdoor Living, our main product that we sell is a complete landscape design-build project to high-end residential customers. We refer to our primary customer base as the "mass affluent". I run Pacific Outdoor living and its sister company, Pacific Pavingstone, with my two sons, Trent and Chad Morrill.

Our office, located in Sun Valley, has a staff of over 80 employees. Within the staff, we have specialized crews in demolition, landscaping, pavers, and pools. These specialized crews are experts in their field and have been trained with the highest certifications in each division.

This year, we will end up grossing around 16 million in gross sales, which is a significant increase from the years prior.

how-i-started-a-16m-year-landscape-design-company

Terry Morrill, on starting Pacific Outdoor Living ($1,100,000/month) full story ➜

25. Become a real estate developer

Examples of a successful real estate developer:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a real estate developer: