28 Profitable Real Estate Business Ideas You Can Start In 2021

28 Profitable Real Estate Business Ideas You Can Start In 2021

From becoming a landlord, to starting a realty busienss, we put together 28 potential business ideas you can build around the real estate industry!

Check out the list.

1. Start a landscaping business ($13.2M/year)

Terry Morrill from SUN VALLEY started Pacific Outdoor Living about 22 years ago, a landscaping business.

• Revenue: $1,100,000/ month
  • Location: SUN VALLEY

It hasn't always been easy. I've had many different businesses over my life. I first started purchasing, renovating, and reselling apartment buildings. I started with a 5-unit building in Los Angeles and after selling it successfully, I purchased a completely dilapidated 66-unit building that scared me to death! But I made it through and over those first years made over one million dollars.

I rolled the dice and continued to buy, renovate, and sell until the bottom dropped out of the market. On January 17, 1994, the Northridge Earthquake devastated Southern California. During this period there was a negative migration in Los Angeles and our vacancy rates hit 40%. Being unable to support the mortgages, I lost all of my properties - over 250 units.

From 1994 to 1999, I started a company from scratch that built homes in Mexico. I sold insurance, ran an automatic door company, was the general manager for a bicycle specialty company, and sold copper pipe.

how-i-started-a-16m-year-landscape-design-company

Terry Morrill, on starting Pacific Outdoor Living ($1,100,000/month) full story ➜

2. Become a real estate agent ($4.2M/year)

Grigory Pekarsky from Chicago, Illinois, USA started Vesta Preferred Realty almost 12 years ago, a real estate agent.

• Location: Chicago, Illinois, USA

I stumbled into real estate. There is no personal history with real estate in my family or in anything I got into as a young kid trying to find my way.

I realized my real competitive edge was that I always picked up the phone, showed up every day and just did the work. Everyone always thinks there is some secret the most successful real estate agents keep to themselves.

My studies were actually centered in Veterinary Medicine at Michigan State University (Go Green!). By Junior year it became apparent to me that I love animals but not so much the idea of being a Vet. So I did a 180 degree turn and finished with a Finance Major.

how-i-became-a-real-estate-agent-and-started-my-own-firm

Grigory Pekarsky, on starting Vesta Preferred Realty ($350,000/month) full story ➜

3. Start a freelance app development business ($960K/year)

Andrew Askins from started Krit about 7 years ago, a freelance app development business.

• Location:

I never set out to start a software agency. Growing up I never thought I would be an entrepreneur, or even get into tech.

But when I got to college I decided to take an intro to Computer Science class. My plan at the time was to teach math in the Peace Corps. I didn’t like math enough to be a math major but figured Computer Science would be interesting and involve a lot of math.

Learn what makes you great and where you need help. It will be worth every penny.

how-i-started-a-69k-month-software-agency-after-a-failed-product-launch

Andrew Askins, on starting Krit ($80,000/month) full story ➜

4. Start an airbnb management company ($420K/year)

Gary Fox from Dublin, Ireland started Host Butlers almost 6 years ago, a airbnb management company.

• Location: Dublin, Ireland

I’ve been starting businesses since I was 15. During school, I worked part-time in a mobile phone store and learned how to fix phones. During the weekends, I started my own market stall and advertised online to fix phones, replace screens, and started to earn cash that way. During college, I scaled up this business to a physical location at the University I was attending here in Ireland. I approached the college and rented an office space from them and opened my first store!

I was terrified of running out of money and for the first 18 months, I ran the company entirely on my own. I remember one particular day where I met 18 different guests at 18 different locations across the city.

Between classes, I would work in the store and when I was in class, I hired classmates and friends to work for me. Looking back now, it was an incredibly fun time but I wish I hadn’t reinvested so much money in the college bar!

how-i-bootstrapped-an-airbnb-management-service-to-35k-month

Gary Fox, on starting Host Butlers ($35,000/month) full story ➜

5. Start a real estate investment club ($7.2M/year)

Greg Salley from San Diego, California, USA started Equity Residences almost 9 years ago, a real estate investment club.

• Location: San Diego, California, USA

My background is varied as an experienced investor, management executive, and consultant. I’ve worked in several industries spanning technology, automotive, media, and entertainment. However, my passions include real estate design and architecture, investing, and travel. Living in London, Paris, Nice, Sydney, and Singapore has helped me develop a global perspective.

I’ve invested in residential real estate for nearly twenty years with experience ranging from new construction, to remodels and distressed assets. After the 2008 financial crash, I began acquiring foreclosures in California and Nevada at deep discounts. Based on this success, I decided to launch an investment fund.

While researching target markets, I noted that second homes in vacation destinations were taking longer to recover from the financial crises than primary residences and could be acquired at deep discounts. Cap rates were also attractive with the right vacation rentals able to generate as much rent in one week as many long-term rentals might generate in a month. It was also an opportunity to capitalize on an emerging trend for the shared use of assets.

how-we-started-a-40m-real-estate-investment-fund

Greg Salley, on starting Equity Residences ($600,000/month) full story ➜

6. Start a moving company ($1.38M/year)

Max Maher from Chandler, Arizona, USA started Skinny Wimp Moving over 5 years ago, a moving company.

• Location: Chandler, Arizona, USA

I didn’t exactly come up with the initial idea for this company because this is a franchise which means for me that I license out the name “Skinny Wimp Moving”. However, because it was the first franchise location I was able to be in a prime decision-making seat and guinea pig for all ideas enabling me to test out theories on marketing and customer service which have no become standard across the brand.

Put yourself out there and ask for their business. Sure be conscious that you may get rejected but don’t be afraid to ask more than once. It won’t work every time but it will work 100% more than not trying at all.

We realized people simply don’t want a moving company that sucks. So we asked ourselves what can we do to make the stressful experience of moving suck a little less and the answers we came up with and stuck to were very common sense:

how-i-started-a-1m-year-moving-company-at-19-years-old

Max Maher, on starting Skinny Wimp Moving ($115,000/month) full story ➜

7. Start a cleaning service ($7.2M/year)

Ron Holt from Birmingham, Alabama, USA started Two Maids & A Mop about 18 years ago, a cleaning service.

• Location: Birmingham, Alabama, USA

I can still remember my first day on the job. I had just been hired as a Chemist for a particle analysis laboratory.

The job made a lot of sense at the time. I had recently graduated college with a Biology degree, and there’s only so many careers the degree can take you. So I took the first job offer that was presented to me and proudly bragged about my $22,500 annual salary. It seemed like so much money at the time, and I just knew that I was going to climb the corporate ladder quickly.

The true secret to my success has been to simply outwork and outpassion everyone in my path, every single day for nearly twenty-five years

how-warren-buffett-inspired-my-lifelong-journey-creating-a-25m-cleaning-empire

Ron Holt, on starting Two Maids & A Mop ($600,000/month) full story ➜

8. Become a landlord

Examples of a successful landlord:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a landlord:

Learn more about starting a landlord ➜

9. Start an online courses business ($60K/year)

Lidiya Kesarovska from The Netherlands started Let's Reach Success over 8 years ago, a online courses business.

• Location: The Netherlands

Back in 2013, I had already discovered my passion - personal development - and had realized writing is the best way to express myself. So I combined these and started a self-improvement blog.

Starting the blog was the best decision and not giving up on it over the years (even when no traffic or money was coming in) was what helped me move forward.

It was first just a hobby and I knew nothing about blogging. Over the years, after publishing a ton of content, gaining traffic, learning about SEO, email marketing, social media, and all the ways to monetize a blog, it became a real business.

how-i-created-a-5k-month-online-course-about-blogging

Lidiya Kesarovska, on starting Let's Reach Success ($5,000/month) full story ➜

10. Start a property flipping business

Examples of a successful property flipping business:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a property flipping business:

Learn more about starting a property flipping business ➜

11. Become a property manager

Examples of a successful property manager:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a property manager:

Learn more about starting a property manager ➜

12. Become a real estate bird dog

Examples of a successful real estate bird dog:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a real estate bird dog:

Learn more about starting a real estate bird dog ➜

13. Start a real estate appraisal service

Examples of a successful real estate appraisal service:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a real estate appraisal service:

Learn more about starting a real estate appraisal service ➜

14. Become a real estate photographer

Examples of a successful real estate photographer:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a real estate photographer:

Learn more about starting a real estate photographer ➜

15. Start a construction company ($4.2M/year)

Examples of a successful construction company:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a construction company:

Learn more about starting a construction company ➜

And for some real world inspiration, give Clifton Muckenfuss's story on creating Carolina Exteriors a read:

I’m Clifton Muckenfuss, I am Co-Founder of Carolina Exteriors, a Specialty Replacement Contractor based in Apex, NC, serving the Raleigh Metro Area. Carolina Exteriors offers residential home improvement services including Roofing, Siding, Windows, Doors, and Gutters. We believe that if we “build people, we build a winning team and combined, we Build Exceptional Customer Experiences. Our dedication to our people and customers and execution on our mission has led to us receiving numerous industry awards for customer service.

We bootstrapped the business on $3,500 and now 9 years later generate $4,000,000 in revenue.

growing-an-exterior-remodeling-company-from-3-5k-to-9m-year

Clifton Muckenfuss, on starting Carolina Exteriors ($350,000/month) full story ➜

16. Become a real estate broker

Examples of a successful real estate broker:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a real estate broker:

Learn more about starting a real estate broker ➜

17. Become a real estate investor

Examples of a successful real estate investor:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a real estate investor:

And for some real world inspiration, give Andy Zhao's story on creating Ark7 a read:

Hello, I’m Andy Zhao, Ark7’s Founder & CEO. I have previously worked for Google, Uber, LinkedIn, and Twitter, with more than 10 years in the tech industry.

Currently, Ark7 has 7 properties located in Berkeley, Austin, and Seattle. Users can visit our website and sign up for free to see full disclosures of our property information and start their real estate investment today. The total value of Ark7 is $8.74 million and the total investment value is $5.5 million.

how-we-started-a-real-estate-investment-platform

Andy Zhao, on starting Ark7 ($0/month) full story ➜

18. Start a real estate marketing agency

Examples of a successful real estate marketing agency:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a real estate marketing agency:

Learn more about starting a real estate marketing agency ➜

19. Start a real estate blog

Examples of a successful real estate blog:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a real estate blog:

Learn more about starting a real estate blog ➜

20. Become an airbnb host

Examples of a successful airbnb host:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a airbnb host:

Learn more about starting an airbnb host ➜

21. Start a real estate podcast

Examples of a successful real estate podcast:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a real estate podcast:

Learn more about starting a real estate podcast ➜

22. Start a real estate inspections business

Examples of a successful real estate inspections business:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a real estate inspections business:

Learn more about starting a real estate inspections business ➜

23. Start a home staging service

Examples of a successful home staging service:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a home staging service:

Learn more about starting a home staging service ➜

24. Start a home repair services business

Examples of a successful home repair services business:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a home repair services business:

Learn more about starting a home repair services business ➜

25. Become a real estate developer

Examples of a successful real estate developer:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a real estate developer:

Learn more about starting a real estate developer ➜

Want to start your own business?

Hey! 👋I'm Pat Walls, the founder of Starter Story.

We interview successful business owners and share the stories behind their business. By sharing these stories, we want to help you get started.

Interested in starting your own business? Join Starter Story Premium to get the greatest companion to starting and growing your business:

• Connect + get advice from successful entrepreneurs
  • Step by step guides on how to start and grow
  • Exclusive and early access to the best case studies on the web
  • And much more!

Are you ready to boost your revenue?

Using Klaviyo will open up a massive, untapped sales channel and bring you closer to your customers!

We've interviewed many impressive businesses who swear by the results of the product, including Brumate, Beardbrand, and many more.

Level up your email marketing with Klaviyo!