This is an archive of the Starter Story newsletter, which is read by 159K people every week.
In each issue, we share the biggest business ideas that are working today, along with case studies of founders who are making millions every month. Sign up today ➜
Showering in public? Why would Mark Cuban invest in this idea?
We just interviewed Kressa Peterson, who (to solve a personal problem) created a prototype that would allow her to shower in public.
Once she realized the thing totally worked, she launched it and had some amazing success. You have to read this story.
My take: What I love about this story is it solves a personal problem, which is often the best way to find great business opportunities.
Want to identify problems in your life that could be turned into businesses? Here are some more inspiring case studies:
- These $5MM/year smart lock for Airbnbs
- Aidan’s custom laptop stand went from side hustle to full time job
- Michaela turned her problem into a $50k/year beverage side hustle
My take: Did you know that Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Apple all started as side hustles? And so did Starter Story :)
Interested in finding a side hustle? Here are 5 side hustle case studies:
- $8K/mo online community
- $2K/mo selling vacations
- $1K/mo recommending books
- $5K/mo making custom necklaces
- $5K/mo reselling sneakers
Side note: Do you want to step up your SEO game? Check out my Lean SEO course which has already helped hundreds of people. (It’s included for free in our Premium Membership, btw).
Let’s talk about a creative marketing campaign. Thomas and his team came up with this glorious idea to promote their software to develop video games ($100K/mo).
Though in real life it was just seen by a couple of thousand people, hundreds of thousands saw it online when some media outlets picked it up. Genius!
Check out other founders who pulled incredible marketing stunts:
- Cory hired Kendall Jenner to promote his wooden sunglasses
- EmailOctopus published a spoof press release for April Fools
- Kim Kardashian posted Rilee’s work with custom balloon installations
- Maury made a 9 foot tall version of his product
Poco dinero, mucho ROI. Sounds like a good combination, right?
The good news is, there are so many opportunities to become an entrepreneur and build an innovative product/service that I’ve been able to gather quite a few business ideas that match these criteria.
Test prep, personal training, catering,... If you're looking to start your own business, check this list of the most profitable business ideas you can start today.
Mark met his wife in Ukraine and noticed that people were attracted by their story. Often when people repeatedly ask you about something (where do you buy your clothes, how do you find cool music) there’s probably a business opportunity.
And that’s what Mark thought too. So he went to find a way to replicate his experience for others and make a profit off it. Today he makes 1M/year.
Everything around love has the potential to become a huge business:
- Pat started a $30K/mo date coaching business (using the phone only)
- Rowena’s helps people find the perfect engagement ring ($1,5K/mo side hustle)
- Ta'Veca makes $4K/mo designing dates
Trending stories this week
- I got tired of being underpaid and left to start a $4MM/year PPC & SEO growth agency
- I make $300K/year with a team of ghostwriters that create content for brands
- Growing our SaaS from $1M to $2.8M in the last year (and doubling users)
- Buying the world’s first, largest online commercial sound effects library
- We grew revenue 25% by expanding our product line
- From investment banker to starting a $350K/year plants ecommerce
- We used Linkedin live sessions to grow our traffic 80%
- Starting a business at 16 and growing it to $840K/month thanks to networking
- My property management software revenue grows 52% YoY
- I created the simplest video editor ever & earn $2K/month
Thanks for reading!
Discover the best strategies of successful business owners
Join our newsletter and receive our handcrafted recap with the best insights shared by founders in Starter Story each week.
Useful, convenient, and free:
Did you know that brands using Klaviyo average a 95x ROI?
Email, SMS, and more — Klaviyo brings your marketing all together, fueling growth without burning through time and resources.
Deliver more relevant email and text messages — powered by your data. Klaviyo helps you turn one-time buyers into repeat customers with all the power of an enterprise solution and none of the complexity.