This is an archive of the Starter Story newsletter, which is read by 162K people every week.
In each issue, we share the biggest business ideas that are working today, along with case studies of founders who are making millions every month. Sign up today ➜
Asen wanted to escape the corporate world and had some money from a previous hustle. Instead of starting from scratch, he bought an already-made niche website that had a good foundation.
How much did it cost to buy the site? Only $1,700. Reasons why it made sense:
- It was in a niche that he loved and had a passion for
- He thought of a couple of ways the site could grow: SEO and Pinterest
The blog makes money thanks to affiliates. He shares some truly valuable insights on how to grow thanks to SEO, Facebook groups and Pinterest. Plus, how to run a team of writers profitably.
The Business Of Sharing Advice
Do you know more than your friends about a specific topic? Well, you could be making money by sharing what you know! See these case studies of people making extra money by sharing advice about:
- Career advice ($1.5K/mo)
- Financial advice ($2.5K/mo)
- Financial advice for first responders ($3.5K)
- Engagement rings advice ($1.5K)
Marketing can be expensive. With affiliate marketing, you are finding someone else who is better at marketing to take up the risk and advertise or promote your products.
Instead of running ad campaigns, you can pay an affiliate a commission for every lead or purchase that they achieve. That’s what I call a win-win.
Those commissions can be quite high (your ad spend just went down dramatically) which is a great incentive and excellent ammunition to create a wide affiliate network.
Get started now with our detailed 7-steps guide (plus real examples).
We’ve published many success stories of starters making big money thanks to affiliate marketing:
- Spencer makes $500K/year. All profit, no employees
- Starting an affiliate marketing program made Elizabeth doubled her revenue ($400K/mo)
- Part of Michelle’s $100K/mo income comes from teaching others how to make money with affiliate marketing
With so many weddings on hold for the last year and a half, bachelorette parties are expected to grow like crazy. So when Mike decided to create this planning app, he knew he’d have the wind at his back. Seeing how they’ve built a waitlist of 50,000+ people is nothing but a confirmation of that.
But of course, they didn’t stop there, due to the intrinsic virality of the app their growth is through the roof and now 40,000 parties are planned every month on the app. If you’re interested to know more about a well-designed viral loop, you need to read this story.
Planning things can be kind of boring and people often pay big money to avoid it. And of course, many of our starters have capitalized on this to build profitable businesses:
- This app generates $3.3M/year by planning sales routes
- Natasha makes $4M/year planning events for Fortune 5000 companies
- This couple makes $40K/month planning surprise vacations
Finding a good Instagram username may be difficult, but it's an essential step when you start a business or a side hustle.
So, if your Instagram username isn't catchy, or is difficult to spell, you're already behind the eight ball in terms of social media marketing. Can’t come up with a catchy Instagram username? No worries; we’ve got you covered! Visit our website and you’ll find:
- 700+ ideas
- Free name generator
- Availability checker
Go ahead and try it now!
From unemployment to being acquired by a $500m fintech company in 12 months
Earlier this year we spoke to Luciano who launched a subscription service for investors that surfaces and analyzes trending stocks. In just a few months he was able to grow the business to $4,5K per month.
Now, just after just 1 year he shared on reddit that he had been acquired by a major Australian fintech company. Congrats!
Newsletters are a great way to make money. Everyone can start one with free tools in just minutes. They can be a tool to make a little money on the side or huge businesses:
- Casey makes $48K/mo with a newsletter for sneaker heads
- Qin generates some extra income writing about personal finance
- Matt built a $14M/year business sharing stock market news
Trending articles this week
- We Started Making Protein Bars In Our Dorm Room. Now We're In 7,000 Stores
- How to Grow a Massive Email List
- I Make $120K/Year With My Print On Demand T-Shirt Side Hustle
- The Six Step Guide To Creating Great List-Based Content
- I Created A $1.2M/Year SEO Agency From India
- We Built A $6M 3PL Company In 3 Years
- We're Using Our Agency Experience To Build A Paid Newsletter
- 5 Quick Tips to Get More Out Of Your Instagram Sponsored Ads
- Create Tik Tok Ads: A Guide
Thanks for reading!
Want to start your own business?
Hey! 👋I'm Pat Walls, the founder of Starter Story.
We interview successful business owners and share the stories behind their business. By sharing these stories, we want to help you get started.
Interested in starting your own business? Join Starter Story Premium to get the greatest companion to starting and growing your business:
- Connect + get advice from successful entrepreneurs
- Step by step guides on how to start and grow
- Exclusive and early access to the best case studies on the web
- And much more!
Did you know that brands using Klaviyo average a 95x ROI?
Email, SMS, and more — Klaviyo brings your marketing all together, fueling growth without burning through time and resources.
Deliver more relevant email and text messages — powered by your data. Klaviyo helps you turn one-time buyers into repeat customers with all the power of an enterprise solution and none of the complexity.