This article is a part of our encyclopedia, and is editable by you. Edit ➜
What Is An Email List?
Emailing list is a list of individual email addresses that you have permission to send email campaigns to.
I am sure you already know that email marketing is one of the effective channels for reaching your target audience. But do you know that the success of your email marketing efforts largely depends on the size and the quality of your email list?
Therefore, you ought to build a great email list that will get results for your business.
This post shares important tips to help you grow the email list.
Email List Key Takeaways
- Email marketing delivers an average return of investment of 3,800%.
- Email list is an important element of a successful marketing strategy.
- Keep your emailing list fresh and up to date
- Building a high-quality email list requires patience and perseverance
How Email List Works And why It is Critical
Email marketing is an effective way of communicating with your customers - whether you're introducing new products, product sales or simply just have an announcement to make.
The more engaged email subscribers, the more customers!
Building the email list is crucial because email is the best way to build a relationship with your potential customers.
When new customers or prospects add to your email subscribers, it is an indication they are interested in what you offer.
Besides, when you send emails to prospects, they are likely to convert into paying customers. In fact, you are more likely to get higher click-through rates through emails compared to tweets.
Therefore, email lists are important because email marketing is the best way to connect with customers. In that regard, it makes sense if you invest time and resources into growing the emailing list.
Real-world Examples Of Brands Focused On Building Email Lists
Here are the top examples of brands that achieved success through building their email lists.
1. How Buffer Doubled Email Signups In 30 Days
Before implementing the changes, Buffer averaged 2,349 monthly email signups from two blogs. However, following the changes, they got over 5,450 email signups, which was more than double the previous month.
Here is a chart comparing what they were doing before the email push and what they are doing after.
2. How Video Fruit Moved From 0 to 205 Email Subscribers In 48 Hours
Bryan Harris, founder, and CEO at Video Fruit embarked on a 48-hour email list building challenge from scratch. Within 48 hours, his company gained 205 email subscribers.
He explains in his blog how he literally got to slightly over 200 email subscribers in just 48 hours.
How To Grow Your Email List
- Create a branded opt-in pop-up form for your homepage
- Add clear CTA buttons to subscribe on every landing page on your website
- Consider using lead magnets that require signups
- Use timed surveys that pop up while visitors are browsing
- Post about the email newsletter on social media accounts
- Create unique and sharable email content
- Encourage subscribers to forward your emails
- Send a re-engagement email with incentive
- Create a new lead-generation offer
- Promote an online contest
There are hundreds of tools out there for email marketing. Pricing depends on how many email subscribers you have - so you may want to consider starting small at first.
Here are a few common tools:
A marketing automation platform and an email marketing service.
The free plan, up to 2000 subscribers - what you get
- Send up to 12,000 emails per month
- Up to 2,000 subscribers
- Email support included for 30 days
"Essentials" plan Plans start at $10 per month
- Up to 5,000 subscribers $50 per month
- Up to 10,000 subscribers $75 per month
- Up to 25,000 subscribers $150 per month
Standard plan Plans start at $15 per month
- Up to 5,000 subscribers $75 per month
- Up to 10,000 subscribers $99 per month
Up to 20,000 subscribers $189 per month
Businesses using MailChimp:
Klaviyo’s the ultimate ecommerce marketing platform trusted by 50,000+ brands, like Chubbies, Living Proof, and Hint. Deliver higher-value, personalized marketing experiences across email, mobile, and web.
- Up to 250 contacts: Free!
- Up to 1,000 subscribers: $30 per month
- Up to 2,500 subscribers: $60 per month
- Up to 5,000 subscribers: $100 per month
- Up to 10,000 subscribers: $150 per month
Up to 20,000 subscribers: $375 per month
Businesses using Klaviyo:
Email marketing for small business and nonprofit organizations.
- 500 subscribers $20/mo
- 2,500 subscribers $45/mo
- 5,000 subscribers $65/mo
10,000 subscribers $95/mo
Businesses using Constant Contact:
Contributors to this article:
- Pat Walls, Founder @ Starter Story
- David Gitonga, Writer @ Starter Story
- Ankita Ghosh
Discover the best strategies of successful business owners
Join our newsletter and receive our handcrafted recap with the best insights shared by founders in Starter Story each week.
Useful, convenient, and free:
Did you know that brands using Klaviyo average a 95x ROI?
Email, SMS, and more — Klaviyo brings your marketing all together, fueling growth without burning through time and resources.
Deliver more relevant email and text messages — powered by your data. Klaviyo helps you turn one-time buyers into repeat customers with all the power of an enterprise solution and none of the complexity.