This article is a part of our encyclopedia, and is editable by you. Edit ➜
What Is Content Repurposing?
Content repurposing is the practice of reusing all or elements of existing content with an aim of expanding the content's reach. Website owners often repurpose content and transform it into a new format.
Ideally, content gets stale over time, and you lose the SEO capacity the old content once brought. That does not mean the old content goes to waste.
Repurposing the content is a way to revitalize the content so you continue enjoying a high ranking on social media platforms.
In this guide, you will learn all the essentials of content repurposing.
- Repurposing and revamping older content should be a part of every content marketing strategy.
- Updating old content is an SEO strategy that boosts your search engine traffic
- Repurposing content allows you to reach people you missed the first time round
- Content repurposing saves time because you do not have to write a new blog from scratch
How Content Repurposing Works
Existing content does not have to be ignored. You can take an old blog and turn it into an infographic. Alternatively, you can write a blog from your past video or podcast.
Regardless of the approach, content repurposing will involve heavily revising it to add more value.
In fact, a great way to generate more search traffic to existing content is by improving keywords and the overall ranking of your post.
If you have an old blog post that performed well in the past but is now ranking much lower, there are a few things you can do:
- Update the date of the blog post to the current day and republish
- Add some extra content to the blog post to keep it relevant
- Research some new keywords related to your brand and include them in the blog
- Update any old stats, photos, references, etc.
- Repost on social platforms (this may even get you more backlinks)
Therefore, you do not have to worry about creating content from scratch as it is a time-consuming and overwhelming exercise.
Content repurposing does not just mean reusing an old piece of content repeatedly. True content repurposing is about altering the existing content to make it fresh and appealing to a new audience.
What Are The Benefits of Content Repurposing?
There are a number of advantages to content repurposing. Here is an overview of some of the benefits of content repurposing.
- Improves your SEO strategy by including high-quality information and quality keywords
- Enables you to achieve multiple goals by using the same content to gain an audience on different platforms
- Content repurposing is a chance to redeem less successful content that could be hurting your SEO
- Helps you to reach a new audience by positing to different platforms
- Expands your reach as you create content in different formats to match audience preferences
- Diversifies your content marketing efforts as you convey the same message across multiple mediums and channels.
- Enables you to target audience based on the buyer journey
- Maximizes time and effort while yielding more output with the same input
- Increases your online presence and ultimately gets more customers
- Provides more backlinks opportunities as you improve the content to create sharable and linkable content.
Real World Examples: Update and Republish Old Content To Boost SEO
Here are inspiring examples of how to repurpose your content across platforms.
1. How Jay Baer Repurposes Short Videos Into Multiple content Pieces
Jay Baer, the founder of convince and convert is our first example of super smart and strategic content repurposing. Jay has truly leveraged the power of repurposing, proving that when you have great content to share, repurposing is the best way to amplify your reach and delight audiences across platforms.
Jay spends much of his time creating videos and to maximize his reach, his team takes time to repurpose the content into different formats.
2. Copyblogggers Repurposed Content Earns Over 100K Views
Copyblogger is well known for the high-quality content they produce. Most of their content is based on copywriting, content marketing, and engaging audiences through content.
Copyblogger is no stranger to the power of content repurposing. A great example of their repurposed content is the post “The 3-step journey of a remarkable piece of content” that the team transformed into a SlideShare.
SlideShare has earned over 100K views to date.
Content Repurposing Ideas
- Converting a listicle into a series of individual pieces of content
- Creating a presentation and sharing on social sites like SlideShare
- Breaking up an article into an infographic
- Refreshing and republishing old posts
- Reposting and re-promoting content to social media
- Reposting content on Quora
- Crafting a daily email series based on existing content
- Creating an e-book
- Creating Podcast or video series
We have looked at superb ways for repurposing your content. However, creating time to repurpose content can be tricky. Hire experienced freelancers to help you with content repurposing. You will find freelancers on Upwork, guru, and Fiverr.
The largest freelancing website, where businesses connect with talented freelancers.
Businesses using Upwork:
Makes it simpler to hire freelancers online from over 3 million professionals and get freelance jobs from thousands of projects posted on its freelancing.
Businesses using guru:
Freelance services marketplace at affordable costs.
Businesses using Fiverr:
Contributors to this article:
- Pat Walls, Founder @ Starter Story
- David Gitonga, Writer @ Starter Story
- Ankita Ghosh
Want to start your own business?
Hey! 👋I'm Pat Walls, the founder of Starter Story.
We interview successful business owners and share the stories behind their business. By sharing these stories, we want to help you get started.
Interested in starting your own business? Join Starter Story Premium to get the greatest companion to starting and growing your business:
- Connect + get advice from successful entrepreneurs
- Step by step guides on how to start and grow
- Exclusive and early access to the best case studies on the web
- And much more!
Did you know that brands using Klaviyo average a 95x ROI?
Email, SMS, and more — Klaviyo brings your marketing all together, fueling growth without burning through time and resources.
Deliver more relevant email and text messages — powered by your data. Klaviyo helps you turn one-time buyers into repeat customers with all the power of an enterprise solution and none of the complexity.