This is an archive of the Starter Story newsletter, which is read by 159K people every week.
In each issue, we share the biggest business ideas that are working today, along with case studies of founders who are making millions every month. Sign up today ➜
Oleksandr is the creator of CleanMyMac, Setapp and many other macOS and iOS apps. He started programming in high school and during his time in the university, he started developing apps as a side hustle.
He went from making $150/month working as a developer in Ukraine to creating several apps that are installed in 1 of every 5 Apple computers in the world.
My take: Try to be early. Every new device, OS, platform, etc. will eventually open to developers to build apps for it. Being early gives you an incredible advantage.
Read the full story here.
Other stories of people making money with apps:
Can't find a business partner? Want to start something on your own?
Although starting a business on your own can be challenging, there are always benefits to going at it alone, such as:
- It’s just you starting out with no dependents, no complexity.
- You can start with little or no money, and even while you have a full-time job.
- You make the rules, the culture, the hours, everything — it’s just you.
- 100% equity – The startup is 100% yours.
We went through our database of successful businesses and found the best examples of solo founders.
See the full list here.
We just interviewed Steve who started Rockstar Mind, a platform focused on helping guitarists and songwriters. But he still ended with $20K in debt. And he wasn’t going to get out of it giving lessons for $15 per hour.
Transitioning from traditional lessons to selling online courses was possible in part thanks to a successful launch strategy: finding partners with large audiences and offering aggressive commissions.
Steve also did something brilliant: he created a 'physical' version of the course, which allowed him to open a huge sales channel: Amazon. Check the full interview to find about his great selling strategies.
Online courses are a great way of making money with very little (or zero) investment:
Brandon was working for 8+ years doing marketing for a CBD brand. He would often help entrepreneurs trying to learn about the industry and after one of those calls, he felt that it was time to try to brainstorm himself and launch something on his own.
After a $350K investment, he’s now working with companies that are open to writing sponsored or branded content to get the word out. Remember, no ads allowed for CBD products on Google or Facebook and you can’t either sell on Amazon.
Read the full story here.
The CBD space is HOT, its global market has been estimated to reach USD 2,740 million in 2021. That’s why many people are jumping on it to start businesses creating awesome and innovative products with it (and making lots of money):
- Pain relief balm ($10K/month)
- Superfoods ($50K/month)
- Oil tinctures ($220K/month)
- Dog treats ($30K/month)
Sarah’s salary was drastically cut down due to COVID-19 and with a baby on the way, the choices were to find another low paid job or go after her dream of working for herself and start a business. She of course chose the latter.
Being a big fan of all things wine and the friend that everybody texts with questions and asking for recommendations, starting a wine coolers ecommerce seemed like a no-brainer. And she wasn’t wrong, the first month she made $50k on a Shopify basic package.
Read the full story here.
E-commerce is a phenomenal way to enter the entrepreneurship world. You can do it part-time and you can start selling even if your budget is low. And these founders can prove it:
- A 7 figure business selling handkerchiefs
- From $0 to $200k/mo selling water and air filters
- 4.6M matcha green tea ecommerce brand
This week’s most read stories
- I built an $816k/year online business while living out of a van
- 71+ email subject lines for saying goodbye to colleagues
- How I started a $1M/year moving company at 19 years old
- Starting a bed sheet business making $600k in first 8 months
- We built a virtual community to 2k members [#1 on Product Hunt]
- 45 best healthcare business ideas for aspiring entrepreneurs
- I started a $48k/year newsletter for sneaker heads
- 48 low cost business ideas with high profits
- How to start a sex toys business
- How I created a $1.2M/month crime scene cleanup business
Thanks for reading!
Want to start your own business?
Hey! 👋I'm Pat Walls, the founder of Starter Story.
We interview successful business owners and share the stories behind their business. By sharing these stories, we want to help you get started.
Interested in starting your own business? Join Starter Story Premium to get the greatest companion to starting and growing your business:
- Connect + get advice from successful entrepreneurs
- Step by step guides on how to start and grow
- Exclusive and early access to the best case studies on the web
- And much more!
Did you know that brands using Klaviyo average a 95x ROI?
Email, SMS, and more — Klaviyo brings your marketing all together, fueling growth without burning through time and resources.
Deliver more relevant email and text messages — powered by your data. Klaviyo helps you turn one-time buyers into repeat customers with all the power of an enterprise solution and none of the complexity.