15 Productivity-Related Business Ideas You Can Start Today

Starter Story

Let's face it - one way or another, everyone wants to be more productive.

So, where do most people turn to? Tools and software to make them more productive (or at least feel more productive).

Businesses like Trello, Monday.com and Hubspot are all wildly successful - and more businesses like these are coming into the market every day.

If you have a passion for productivity and are looking to start a business, we put together 15 different productivity-related business ideas you can start today.

Here they are:

1. Start a podcast ($5.03K/year)

Darren Reighard from Carlisle started Cars of Carlisle almost 3 years ago, a podcast.

• Location: Carlisle

In the winter of 2018, I ran into a friend as we were clearing snow from our cars. As we began to catch up in the parking lot that bitterly cold morning, he explained that he had been successful with a podcast about his Amazon and eBay seller business. As we both live in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, the epicenter of automotive car shows and car parts swap meets, he knew that I was a car aficionado. Sagely, my friend identified a need -- that our hometown was without an automotive podcast. However, he admitted he did not have the time, interest, or knowledge. This is where the cartoon light bulb came on for me!

It is critically important for me to build strong relationships and loyalties with our listenership.

With my mass communications degree and love of production and writing, the natural path was for me to “take the wheel” and create a virtual product to fill this niche and market gap. At that time, I was busy and satisfied working 45+ workweeks in the same corporate management position that I still happily hold today; however, this new passion creatively fueled me.

how-i-created-a-profitable-podcast-for-car-enthusiasts

Darren Reighard, on starting Cars of Carlisle ($419/month) full story ➜

2. Start a team collaboration app ($12M/year)

Michael Hollauf from Vienna, Austria started Meister almost 14 years ago, a team collaboration app.

• Revenue: $1,000,000/ month
  • Location: Vienna, Austria

It all started about 15 years ago when I worked together with my co-founder Till at another tech company. I was based in London at the time, Till was in New York and later Munich. We both loved IT but had grown a bit bored with our jobs, so we decided to start our own business. The first business was an outsourcing company, where we did web projects for other companies with a Romanian development team. This was good fun but hard work and tough to grow.

At that time the news was that Google had just acquired a company called Writely and turned their product into what is now Google Docs, which we started using almost immediately to collaborate on projects at work. We were also using MindManager, at the time the only serious mind mapping software, to brainstorm product ideas and also to conduct and organize customer meetings. MindManager was a standard OS-dependent program that had to be installed locally and licensed for about $300, which made it very hard to share our mind maps with anybody else, as they would have had to buy the software as well. Also, you couldn't collaborate at all, which is something quite important for a brainstorming tool.

If your product isn’t sticky, no amount of content marketing will offset your user churn.

how-our-team-collaboration-apps-generate-600k-month

Michael Hollauf, on starting Meister ($1,000,000/month) full story ➜

3. Start an email automation platform ($420K/year)

Arthur Backouche from Sydney, New South Wales, Australia started COLDINBOX 10 months ago, a email automation platform.

• Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

I recently got my diploma in computer sciences and had the opportunity to move to Australia.

When I arrived in Sydney with $1,000 in my pocket, I spent 3 weeks looking every single day for a new job in growth/digital marketing.

It was a real challenge to engage with all the startups' CEOs in Sydney, and ask if they’re hiring for one reason: It’s a repetitive process.

how-we-launched-a-35k-month-tool-to-send-bulk-linkedin-messages

Arthur Backouche, on starting COLDINBOX ($35,000/month) full story ➜

4. Start a time tracking app ($2.22M/year)

Dean A. Logan from New Jersey, USA started Labor Sync over 11 years ago, a time tracking app.

• Location: New Jersey, USA

As a roofer and family business owner for 17 years, I faced the ongoing struggle of keeping track of my employees, job order costing, processing payroll and ultimately losing money due to the mismanagement of time.

As an end-user, I knew I needed a product that could streamline these processes but couldn’t find a single product on the market that met the needs of my company. At that point, I realized that if I am struggling with these problems, surely plenty of other business owners with a largely mobile workforce are facing the same issue. Thus, Labor Sync began!

My father and I partnered with IT guru Joe Burger and beta tested within our own roofing company, Complete Roof Systems (CRS), to see how this technology could help us save both time and money. Joe had his own company and was a tenant of one of our roofing clients, she introduced me to Joe and we immediately hit it off.

how-i-launched-a-185k-month-employee-time-gps-tracking-app

Dean A. Logan, on starting Labor Sync ($185,000/month) full story ➜

5. Start an online courses business ($60K/year)

Lidiya Kesarovska from The Netherlands started Let's Reach Success almost 8 years ago, a online courses business.

• Location: The Netherlands

Back in 2013, I had already discovered my passion - personal development - and had realized writing is the best way to express myself. So I combined these and started a self-improvement blog.

Starting the blog was the best decision and not giving up on it over the years (even when no traffic or money was coming in) was what helped me move forward.

It was first just a hobby and I knew nothing about blogging. Over the years, after publishing a ton of content, gaining traffic, learning about SEO, email marketing, social media, and all the ways to monetize a blog, it became a real business.

how-i-created-a-5k-month-online-course-about-blogging

Lidiya Kesarovska, on starting Let's Reach Success ($5,000/month) full story ➜

6. Start a crm business ($1.92M/year)

Lars Helgeson from San Diego, California, USA started GreenRope over 12 years ago, a CRM business.

• Location: San Diego, California, USA

After being honorably discharged from the US Air Force, I struck out on my own to build a different kind of software company. One that focused on providing real, long-term value to customers. I taught myself how to write code and worked day and night for 3 years to build the first version of our email marketing software.

In 2008, I realized that we could better serve our customers by taking a broader, more holistic view of business management. We worked with hundreds of our customers to come up with solutions to real problems they were having every day and found out that most of those problems had to do with managing information. Most businesses have disparate departments, software, and data, and the integration of that data is often an afterthought. GreenRope solves this with a single, unified platform that sales, marketing, customer service, and operations staff log in to.

When we started with GreenRope, we focused on the core CRM, email, and website elements of running a business. Then, we expanded into project management, customer service, and a few other functions common to many businesses. The last part was building automation, scoring, and predictive analytics since we were able to gather data from all of the other parts of the business’s operations.

on-starting-a-160k-month-crm-automations-company-after-a-us-air-force-career

Lars Helgeson, on starting GreenRope ($160,000/month) full story ➜

7. Start a calendar sync tool ($2.12M/year)

Andrew Rogoff from London, England, United Kingdom started Resource Guru over 9 years ago, a calendar sync tool.

• Location: London, England, United Kingdom

My cofounder, Percy, and I decided to build it while we were working in marketing agencies where we experienced the headaches of resource scheduling. In almost every agency we worked in, people were using ugly spreadsheets to schedule their teams.

Starting out wasn’t easy. We had to figure out how to survive without our existing jobs and neither of us had any savings. I realized that, if I became a freelancer, I could earn more money in 7 months than I normally made in a year.

I’m from an entrepreneurial family. Both my grandfather and my father ran their own businesses and I was really keen to follow suit. There’s something about watching company profits going into other people’s hands when I’m working my ass off that I find really hard to take. So, when Percy made the suggestion to start our own company, it was an immediate “yes”.

how-we-built-a-resource-scheduling-app-to-2-1m-arr

Andrew Rogoff, on starting Resource Guru ($177,000/month) full story ➜

8. Start a planner business ($139K/year)

Jess Yasuda from Hobart, Tasmania, Australia started Chasing Planner Peace over 5 years ago, a planner business.

• Location: Hobart, Tasmania, Australia

When I started Chasing Planner Peace I was a mum of two very small children, working part-time in a job for the government. I found my job extremely unrewarding and boring and had a little avenue for creativity. I never dreamed that starting an Etsy store would lead to growing a company that could become a full-time career. I had always had it drummed into me to find a secure job and stick with it - don’t take risks!

After my second child was born I became interested in using a paper planner as a hobby. There’s actually quite a big community of people (mostly women) who combine organization and creativity and love using their planners as a memory-keeping, scrapbooking tool using stickers and washi tape to decorate.

I loved the idea of using Filofax type planners where you could really customize your planner by adding in what “inserts” (refill pages) you wanted. I would download printable inserts off Etsy for calendar pages, meal planning, etc. but I could never find a layout that really worked for me. I would also waste huge amounts of time, money and printer ink trying to print out the printable inserts - as every file was a different format.

how-i-started-a-12k-month-selling-productivity-planners-online

Jess Yasuda, on starting Chasing Planner Peace ($11,613/month) full story ➜

9. Start a task management software

Examples of a successful task management software:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a task management software:

10. Start a time management/productivity coaching business

Examples of a successful time management/productivity coaching business:

11. Become a youtube personality

Examples of a successful youtube personality:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a youtube personality:

12. Start a project management tool

Examples of a successful project management tool:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a project management tool:

13. Start a goal setting app

Examples of a successful goal setting app:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a goal setting app:

14. Start an online calendar business

Examples of a successful online calendar business:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a online calendar business:

15. Start a to do list business

Examples of a successful to do list business:

Here are some great videos on how to get started with a to do list business: