Starting a tutoring side hustle is a great way for teachers and students to earn extra income every month. If you consider becoming a tutor, find an ideal tutoring niche, and craft a tutoring website. Find your tutoring clients and market your side hustle online. You can choose to offer online tutoring as a part-time engagement or a full-time engagement.
Here are some real life success stories of starting a tutoring business:
1. SoFlo Tutors ($1.2M/year)
Adam Shlomi (from Miami, FL, USA) started SoFlo Tutors over 3 years ago.
Hey everyone! My name is Adam Shlomi and I am a 22-year-old senior at Georgetown University from South Florida. I am the founder of SoFlo SAT Tutoring, an online SAT/ACT tutoring company that provides exceptional test prep to students across the country. I started this business in my bedroom almost a year ago while I was recovering from ankle surgery. I couldn’t walk for 6 months and SoFlo gave me the motivation to get up in the morning.
SoFlo currently brings in average revenue of $15,000 a month and has seen a linear increase in student sign-ups each month since its official inception in March 2019. Since our customer lifetime is short –our students study for and take the SAT, get the score they want, and then no longer require our services– we invest in and rely heavily on the quality of the service we provide to attract future customers. Happy customers and significant score increases have helped spread the word and grow the brand.
2. Lingoci ($1.44M/year)
Alex Redfern (from Singapore, Singapore) started Lingoci almost 6 years ago.
Hi, I’m Alex & I’m the Founder of Lingoci.com, a platform for online language tutoring. We have students and tutors all over the world, connecting via our website and communicating via Skype and Zoom. Currently, 7 languages are available: Spanish, French, German, Swedish, Italian, Dutch and Japanese.
I launched the website with $300 in January 2017 and it now does around $60,000/month in revenue.
3. Miss Excel ($3.6M/year)
Today I have my friend Kat Norton on the show. Kat goes by the name Miss Excel on TikTok and if you are on the platform, you have probably seen her videos.
Kat Norton (from New York, New York, USA) started Miss Excel over 2 years ago.
- Kat Norton (@miss.excel on Instagram and TikTok) enthusiastically imparts Microsoft Excel knowledge to people, companies, and educational institutions through her line of Excelerator Courses and specialized group training sessions.
- Kat has over 1 million TikTok followers, which she has used to launch a successful software training company in just two years. After posting her first video in June 2020, she never had to look back.
- In just 10 days, she gained 200,000 new Instagram followers and currently has 639K followers on the platform.
- She typically earns between $250,000 and $300,000 per month, and once ,she made $100,000 in just 24 hours.
Listen to the full podcast on podcasts.apple.com ➜
4. Part-Time YouTuber Academy ($4.5M/year)
Ali Abdaal (from ) started Part-Time YouTuber Academy almost 6 years ago.
- Ali Abdaal is a junior doctor who also runs the Part-Time YouTuber Academy, a website with tutorials for aspiring YouTubers.
- Ali has a YouTube channel with over 3M subscribers and over 218,836,000 total views, he generates around $4.5M+ income from 15 sources.
- He has uploaded more than 400 high-quality videos on YouTube, where he talks about leading a happier, healthier, and more fruitful life.
- Ali has been producing content online for more than ten years and YouTube has become a source of steady income for him. Now he helps other aspiring YouTubers turn this into a full-time career.
Read the full story on entrepreneurshandbook.co ➜
5. Loaded Landscapes ($180K/year)
Note: Click here to download Marc’s top tips for turning a hobby into a profitable website from this episode. Marc Andre made over $1.1 million dollars from his photography hobby. But what’s interesting is that he never: got paid to take pictures sold any of his photos held any photography works…
Marc Andre (from Pennsylvania) started Loaded Landscapes almost 11 years ago.
Marc Andre is the creator of Loaded Landscapes, a blogging website specializing in travel, wildlife, and landscape photography. He also offers Lightroom presets and Lightroom training.
He previously built & sold 3 photography-related websites - that used to sell digital products to other photographers.
The journey with Loaded Landscapes began in 2012. Marc wanted to upgrade from a point-and-shoot camera to a nice DSLR. So, he set himself a challenge to see if he could raise the $5k to start a photography-related side hustle.
Over the following six years, Marc increased the size of his company, added more products, and launched two more websites centered around photography. This helped him generate more than a million dollars in revenue.
Read the full story on sidehustlenation.com ➜
6. Coach Carson ($498K/year)
If you had 2 years to earn $1 million, what would you do? In this episode Chad Carson from the Real Estate and Financial Independence Podcast breaks down his strategy. (And I share mine at the end.) Links and Resources:
Chad Carson (from Clemson, SC, USA) started Coach Carson almost 14 years ago.
Chad Carson is a real estate investor and a successful business coach helping people attain financial independence and do more essential things in life.
He owns a successful real estate business in Clemson, South Carolina, and through his website, CoachCarson.com, he offers online coaching to people who want to invest in real estate.
His book Retire Early With Real Estate is a bestseller on Amazon. He enlightens and gives small investors the tools they need to succeed in real estate investing and with their money to focus more on the essential things in life.
Listen to the full podcast on podcasts.apple.com ➜
7. Workee ($12K/year)
Subscribe: https://www.youtube.com/c/NathanLatkawatchWorkee CEO Ihor Bauman: Helping freelancers to manage business online... Visit them: www.workee.netSee m...
Ihor Bauman, Artem Kanaki and Yevhen Kyselov (from Lewes, Delaware, USA) started Workee almost 3 years ago.
- Founders Yevhen Kyselov, Creative Lead, Artem Kanaki, and Ihor Bauman jointly built Workee, a simple tool to assist freelancers and professionals run their online businesses effortlessly.
- Workee offers a huge number of services required to efficiently run and manage your business. With Workee, you can create a personal website, book & schedule appointments, make video calls with clients, manage payments & invoicing, and so on.
- This platform is highly suitable for freelancers, tutors, coaches, therapists, psychologists, and consultants among a lot of other professions.
- The startup recently secured EUR 600,000 in Pre-Seed funding with the goal of becoming a unicorn.
Read the full story on itkey.media ➜
Hey! 👋I'm Pat Walls, the founder of Starter Story.
We interview successful business owners and share the stories behind their business. By sharing these stories, we want to help you get started.
Interested in starting your own business? Join Starter Story Premium to get the greatest companion to starting and growing your business:
- Connect + get advice from successful entrepreneurs
- Step by step guides on how to start and grow
- Exclusive and early access to the best case studies on the web
- And much more!