This is an archive of the Starter Story newsletter, which is read by 241K people every week.
In each issue, we share the biggest business ideas that are working today, along with case studies of founders who are making millions every month. Sign up today ➜
Frankie says relax
Americans spend $143,280 to “treat themselves” in a lifetime (2018 data). With as much as 60% saying that they’d rather spend big bucks on a luxurious experience rather than on a luxury item.
And with the world just coming out of a global pandemic, people are craving feel-good experiences.
This trend has helped an NYC day spa reach $3M/year in revenue short after almost closing due to COVID.
But there are more types of businesses making money in the relaxation space:
- An $18K/month bath products brand
- A $13K/month mobile meditation studio
- A $20K/month pet spa
- A $150K/month healthy superdrinks brand
By the numbers:
- $47.5B -> global spa market size
- 3 -> years took this spa to go from $30K to $240K per month
- 100+ -> case studies of wellness-related businesses
This type of business can be done in any city, which is not a problem because there’s a huge trend of people spending their vacations in their own city. Avids of experiences.
Tends to be a very lucrative business, with high average tickets. The average American will spend as much as $368 on a special, one-time experience.
Join Starter Story
There is no secret to building a profitable business. All of the information can be learned, so why not learn it from others who have already done it?
Join Starter Story to access our database of 3,000+ successful business case studies. See the exact timelines of how founders built their businesses to thousands of customers.
Get real answers to questions like:
- How do people find great business opportunities?
- What did they do to get their 10 first clients?
- What challenges do they face at every stage and how to overcome them?
Join Starter Story Premium for $2.58/week. A no-brainer investment for your business.
(1) This guy makes $600K/year with a simple online directory. Building a directory is not a very “sexy” business, but it’s super low cost to start, and you can focus on literally any niche. Achieving a high Google rank will result in an inbox flooded with requests to be included (and you can charge money for that).
(2) This $500K/year business teaches people a unique way of making a living. I am fascinated by this formula of building online properties to capture leads.
I’m not surprised that it’s doing so well, leads are expensive and if you can figure out how to get them, you got a lucrative business in your hands. See more examples: $120M/year (lawyers), $9M/year (local SEO monitoring).
The power of Reddit
Although it’s largely overlooked in the mainstream social media conversation, Reddit is where a lot of viral content gets early traction, before it ends up on Twitter or gets butchered by dads on WhatsApp.
If you hang out there long enough, you just might find your next business idea. Some examples:
- This guy got inspiration from Reddit to create his $9K/month product
- This guy used Reddit to validate his $180K/year business idea
- These co-founders met on Reddit and started their $48K/year business
- This guy used Reddit to triple his business revenue
And did you know? The founders of Coinbase (a $16B company) met on Reddit.
By the numbers:
- 52M -> Reddit’s daily active users
- 2.8M -> subreddits are currently active
- 1.2M -> members in r/Entrepreneur
If you’re looking to find a business opportunity, hang out in theme-related subreddits and listen to the community.
To identify growing trends, check out what subreddits are gaining more members.
I personally used it to get the first Starter Story users, and it worked! Here’s a post I wrote a while back detailing how I cracked Reddit.
Thanks for reading!
Want to start your own business?
Hey! 👋I'm Pat Walls, the founder of Starter Story.
We interview successful business owners and share the stories behind their business. By sharing these stories, we want to help you get started.
Interested in starting your own business? Join Starter Story Premium to get the greatest companion to starting and growing your business:
- Connect + get advice from successful entrepreneurs
- Step by step guides on how to start and grow
- Exclusive and early access to the best case studies on the web
- And much more!
Did you know that brands using Klaviyo average a 95x ROI?
Email, SMS, and more — Klaviyo brings your marketing all together, fueling growth without burning through time and resources.
Deliver more relevant email and text messages — powered by your data. Klaviyo helps you turn one-time buyers into repeat customers with all the power of an enterprise solution and none of the complexity.