A Cleaning & Maintenance business is a service-based business in which you are the owner, operator, and lone employee. In a cleaning and maintenance business, you provide a specific service such as carpet servicing or pest control. It's important to note that although it seems straightforward, this business type can grow very quickly if done properly.
Cleaning and maintenance can be a real hassle, especially if you have a lot of employees or just your own staff. The cleaning and maintenance industry generates over $40B a year in the US alone. This makes it one of the largest, most competitive industries in the USA.
Starting a cleaning and maintenance business is pretty easy. You can start small with residential clients or businesses. Just make sure you check with your local government to ensure licensing (or certification) requirements.
Here are some real life success stories of starting a cleaning & maintenance business:
1. MaidThis Franchise ($1.2M/year)
Neel Parekh (from Los Angeles, CA, USA) started MaidThis Franchise about 9 years ago.
Hey! My name is Neel Parekh and I am the Founder and CEO of MaidThis® & MaidThis® Franchise, a cleaning franchise that helps residential homeowners and short-term rental hosts (Airbnb, VRBO, etc) with their cleanings.
- We made our niche focus on cleaning Airbnbs and vacation rentals, in addition to regular home cleaning, which is a rapidly growing industry. We became the first cleaning franchise specializing in vacation rental cleaning.
- Local businesses are often pretty old school and typically aren’t the best with marketing, especially digital marketing. We’re bringing new-age marketing tactics to this old-school industry.
- Remote work: we’ve been able to stay extra nimble and lean with having a global workforce. This was initially done out of necessity so I could travel, but quickly became a huge competitive advantage. Our office team works across 8 different countries.
2. Mrs Buckét ($3M/year)
Name: Rachael FlanaganCompany: Mrs BucketCompany description: Domestic and commercial full service cleaning companyStarted in: 2005
Rachael Flanagan (from Swansea, UK) started Mrs Buckét over 17 years ago.
In 2005, Rachael Flanagan founded Mrs Buckét, a business providing industrial cleaning services.
They operate a commercial cleaning company that has won numerous awards. They provide commercial cleaning services and facilities to companies in the public and private sectors.
Mrs Buckét offers commercial building services to facilities in south Wales and Bristol for prestige car showrooms, offices, manufacturing & educational institutions.
When she started out, Rachael was only 18 years old, and she had just £20, which she used to buy a hoover and flyers.
Read the full story on startups.co.uk ➜
3. Go 2 Girls ($996K/year)
Read this inspiring story from Crystal Hamm about how she grew her maid service to a 7-figure business.
Crystal Hamm (from Raleigh, NC, USA) started Go 2 Girls almost 5 years ago.
Crystal Hamm founded Go 2 Girls, a woman-founded & women-operated house cleaning service co in Wake County, NC.
They provide cleaning services for bathrooms, bedrooms, kitchens, and living rooms.
Crystal wants to ensure that both her clients and staff are satisfied with the company’s service and work ethics.
The company also offers free cleanings to women undergoing cancer treatments.
Go 2 Girls supports various nonprofit organizations, including school fundraisers, The American Red Cross, Colitis Foundation, and The Salvation Army.
Watch the full video on youtube.com ➜
Hey! 👋I'm Pat Walls, the founder of Starter Story.
We interview successful business owners and share the stories behind their business. By sharing these stories, we want to help you get started.
Interested in starting your own business? Join Starter Story Premium to get the greatest companion to starting and growing your business:
- Connect + get advice from successful entrepreneurs
- Step by step guides on how to start and grow
- Exclusive and early access to the best case studies on the web
- And much more!