This article is a part of our encyclopedia, and is editable by you. Edit ➜
What Is A Welcome Email?
A welcome email is the first impression a company makes with a new subscriber.
If customers enjoy a positive experience, they will be likely to engage with your future email marketing efforts.
According to campaign monitor, welcome emails have an average read rate of 34%.
Therefore, it's important that you convey the right message off the bat! Here are some things to consider when creating a welcome email:
Welcome Email Key Takeaways
- Try not to introduce a new product or service right away
- Avoid sending welcome emails too late in the game - as soon as your customer provides you with their information, they should receive a welcome email in their inbox
- Consider creating a nurturing sequence so you can gradually build a relationship with your customer before convincing them to purchase your product/service
- Make sure your welcome email offers an authentic and personal touch when introducing your organization.
Understanding How Welcome Emails Work
As the name suggests, a welcome is sent to new customers to establish a positive initial impression of your company. Moreover, the welcome email creates an opportunity to introduce the new customers and establish a positive connection ahead of the first order.
A customer-focused, value-packed welcome email stands out in the customer's inbox. Therefore, create a personalized email to increase customer engagement and deliver six times higher transactional rates compared to future marketing emails.
Real-World Examples of Enterprises That Send Welcome Emails
1.Real Life Trading
Jeremy understands the importance of creating first-time impression through a personalized welcome email.
In the welcome email, he starts with the user's name, to create a personalized appeal. The email refers to the action taken by the user and adds a Call To Action button to direct the user to the dashboard.
By creating such personalized welcome emails, Jeremy has managed to hook users to the system, which is the key to getting the customers to register for courses on offer.
Today, Real Life Trading has monthly revenue of $160,000 per month, thanks to the smart marketing approaches.
Food52 is a recipe website founded by Amanda and Merrill. Apart from sharing test kitchen-approved recipes, Amanda and Merrill also market kitchenware needed to make the approved recipes.
Whenever a new user registers on the platform, a welcome email is delivered to the customer’s inbox. The welcome email features an attractive pre-header that ensures the customer opens the email.
Therefore, when the customer sees the food52 welcome email, he gets a taste of their brand's personality even before opening the email.
Getting Started with Welcome Emails
- Ensure you create a catchy subject line
- The tone of welcome emails should mirror your company’s culture and brand personality
- Create a stylish email template that suits your brand's guidelines
- Be engaging and creative
- Double-check emails before sending them
Taking the time to send a welcome email to your new customers is a thoughtful gesture that will not go unappreciated by the recipient.
Some easy-to-use email campaign tools can ease the experience of sending welcome emails. Here are great tools for your email marketing campaigns.
A marketing automation platform and an email marketing service.
The free plan, up to 2000 subscribers - what you get
- Send up to 12,000 emails per month
- Up to 2,000 subscribers
- Email support included for 30 days
"Essentials" plan Plans start at $10 per month
- Up to 5,000 subscribers $50 per month
- Up to 10,000 subscribers $75 per month
- Up to 25,000 subscribers $150 per month
Standard plan Plans start at $15 per month
- Up to 5,000 subscribers $75 per month
- Up to 10,000 subscribers $99 per month
Up to 20,000 subscribers $189 per month
Businesses using MailChimp:
Affordable Email Marketing Software for Small Business.
- 1,000 contacts $0/mo
- 2,500 $15/mo
- 5,000 $30/mo
- 10,000 $50/mo
Businesses using Mailerlite:
Customer communication platform for transactional and marketing email.
- 100 emails/day - Free!
- Up to 50k emails/day - $15/month
Up to 100k emails/day - $30/month
Businesses using SendGrid:
Contributors to this article:
- David Gitonga, Writer @ Starter Story
- Samantha Walls, Head Of Content @ Starter Story
- Pat Walls, Founder @ Starter Story
Discover the best strategies of successful business owners
Join our newsletter and receive our handcrafted recap with the best insights shared by founders in Starter Story each week.
Useful, convenient, and free:
Are you ready to boost your revenue?
Using Klaviyo will open up a massive, untapped sales channel and bring you closer to your customers!
Level up your email marketing with Klaviyo!