This article is a part of our encyclopedia, and is editable by you. Edit ➜
What Is Gamification Marketing?
Gamification marketing is the incorporating of gaming elements into marketing campaigns, in order to motivate users to achieve a task.
Relatively speaking, gamification marketing taps into the principle of motivation science in order to transform menial tasks into an engaging experience.
Gamifying high-value interactions with customers drive more sales, stronger collaboration, deeper brand loyalty, and higher customer satisfaction.
Gamification Marketing Key Takeaways
- Gamification is crucial for areas that depend on user engagement and user motivation
- A properly executed gamification strategy can improve your engagement and reduce bounce rate
- Beware: Poorly executed gamification strategy could damage brand reputation
- Gamified systems must give users (1) the motivation to do something, (2) an ability, and (3) a cue to complete the action.
How Gamification Marketing Works
Gamification in marketing uses a popular game template to promote a new product or service. The marketing strategy can be used by any business across any industry, and it is one of the most creative ways to deliver a brand message.
Gamified elements can include:
- Achievements: Badges, levels, or points given to the users as a reward for reaching a pre-defined accomplishment.
- Leaderboards: Ranking users as per their performance in order to create competition and induce a higher involvement rate.
- Countdown: Challenging players to complete a task in a limited period.
- Progress: Asking users to progress in a certain activity while there is an element that displays the progression.
Therefore, gamification provides an immersive, engaging, and fun experience with your brand and helps customers to remember the brand name.
Why Does Gamification Marketing Work?
- You increase user engagement: There are chances to win a reward, and so engagement rates are higher than campaigns that lack gamification.
- Increased brand awareness: Visitors have a fun experience associated with your brand. Therefore, they keep your brand name in their minds for a long time.
- Drives customer retention: Gaming is a form of emotional marketing and so customers become loyal to your brand.
- An effective customer data collection technique: The approach offers the target users a possibility of having a fun time or a chance to win a prize making them more willing to give potential data.
- Optimize conversion rates: As players engage with gamified elements they are likely to respond to your CTA.
Real-World Examples Of Gamification in Marketing
Here are some of the top gamification examples from well-known brands
1. Dominos Pizza Introduces Catcher Game To Celebrate 10th Aniversary
Dominos pizza is known for its combination of sound marketing strategies, responsible for its huge success in the Pizza supply chain. One of the strategies used by Dominos is based on gamification marketing.
Dominos Singapore was celebrating its 10th anniversary and to drive user engagement, they came up with the Dominos pizza catcher game.
The game was available on Facebook and Instagram and involved catching pizza toppings to win vouchers, the vouchers were awarded online, and winners were allowed to redeem the prize instantly.
2. Unibet Gamification Campaign To Drive Brand Awareness
Unibet, a sports betting firm and online casino, faced the challenge of differentiating their service from the other competition. The firm wanted to increase brand awareness, and drive their mobile application downloads.
Unibet created an interactive and dynamic mobile game, where users put in the heart of the action, mimicking a popular football game. The participants had 60 seconds to see how many headers they could keep going without dropping the ball.
If the participant achieved a specified pre-established score, they won a £5 bonus in the form of a free bet.
3. How Superhuman Implemented Game Design Elements Inside Its Business Email Tool
Rahul Vohra, founder of Superhuman, shares how he built a game-like design inside of an email client and why people love using his product.
He breaks down the seven principles of game design and how they give users an experience that’s:
- fun, and
Watch the full video:
7 Practical Tips When Implementing Gamification Into A Marketing Initiative
- Understand your target audience
- Set goals beforehand
- Offer meaningful rewards to create a sense of competition and encourage engagement
- Spend time uncovering what works and what drives user engagement
- Make the game easy and fun
- Use interactive quizzes to engage the audience
- Tap into long-forgotten emotions
- Consider regional differences and provide tailored rewards
The Best Tools For Marketing Gamification
Are you determined to build a gamified campaign? Simple to use online tools allow you to build gamified sales campaigns.
Here are the top 5 tools you can use to build gamified marketing campaigns.
- Gamify: The best platform to create & manage your own gamification marketing campaigns.
- Influitive: A customer marketing platform that enables you to create and deliver personalized experiences that engage customers and let you discover, nurture, and mobilize your advocates at scale.
- LevelEleven Drive the behaviors that lead to sales and customer retention with personalized scorecards, real-time TV broadcasts, and data-driven coaching.
- Gleam Marketing gamification tool built to grow your business
- Ambition: Data-powered sales coaching and gamification platform for modern, remote teams that like to win.
The best platform to create & manage your own gamification marketing campaigns.
A customer marketing platform that enables you to create and deliver personalized experiences that engage customers and let you discover, nurture, and mobilize your advocates at scale.
Drive the behaviors that lead to sales and customer retention with personalized scorecards, real-time TV broadcasts, and data-driven coaching
Marketing gamification tool built to grow your business
Businesses using Gleam:
Data-powered sales coaching and gamification platform for modern, remote teams that like to win.
Contributors to this article:
Discover the best strategies of successful business owners
Join our newsletter and receive our handcrafted recap with the best insights shared by founders in Starter Story each week.
Useful, convenient, and free:
Did you know that brands using Klaviyo average a 95x ROI?
Email, SMS, and more — Klaviyo brings your marketing all together, fueling growth without burning through time and resources.
Deliver more relevant email and text messages — powered by your data. Klaviyo helps you turn one-time buyers into repeat customers with all the power of an enterprise solution and none of the complexity.