This article is a part of our encyclopedia, and is editable by you. Edit ➜
What Is Email Marketing?
Email marketing is the act of sending a commercial message to a group of people using email.
Marketing via email is a highly effective strategy used by entrepreneurs to advertise, request business, or to build brand awareness.
According to Backlinko, shoppers spend more when marketed to through email, compared to those who do not receive email offers.
Therefore, email marketing is an essential tool that helps entrepreneurs to reach target audience.
Email Marketing Key Takeaways
- Email marketers need to focus beyond acquiring new customers and use email campaigns to engage and retain the existing customers
- Email campaigns generate more ROI compared to other platforms. Thus, marketers need to increase their email marketing budget.
- When sending out sales campaigns via email, add a human touch to your content. Otherwise, you are likely to experience a low Click-Through Rate
- Email lists segmentation helps to ensure you are sending relevant emails to particular audience.
- To determine which email campaigns generate more leads, use the A/B approach
Understanding How Email Campaigns Work
Entrepreneurs use email service providers to send marketing emails. However, the entrepreneur works on building an emailing list consisting of the target audience.
With an emailing list ready and a reliable email marketing tool, the entrepreneur sends emails that are informing, driving sales, and building a community around your brand.
An email marketing campaign can consist of three to ten emails sent over several days or weeks.
The type of email campaign depends on the marketer's objectives. Email marketing is effective because email is accessible to people of different age groups. Moreover, email campaigns open the door to a wider range of audiences.
When it comes to cost, email campaigns are extremely cost-effective and offer pricing packages that suit all budgets.
The more engaged list of emails, the more engaged customers, which ultimately leads to more sales.
One of the best ways to start growing your list is by providing your customer with something free (or discounted) in return.
This could also be anything from:
- Fascinating case study
- Video series
- Free week of the product
- Discount on the product
Learn more about how to grow your email list and improve email marketing ➜ here.
Real-World Examples of Entrepreneurs that Use Email Marketing
Dylan Jacob, founder of Brumate is an example of entrepreneurs who have realized that email marketing is so important.
To grow the emailing list, Jacob uses the "Spin-a-Sale" strategy where a customer will spin a wheel for a discount code in exchange for subscribing to our email list.
According to Jacob, the "Spin-a-sale tactic" has been the best email-collecting tool because the customer truly feels like they won a prize rather than just a coupon code.
to attract more sales, Jacob uses the retargeting tactic through sending future promotions, new releases, or simply just sending an email at the right time for a purchase to finally make sense for them.
As a result of email marketing, Brumate enjoys a customer return rate of over 14%. Thus, for every 6 people they convert, one will end up buying from us again with an average order value of over $60.00.
2.Barnes & Noble
Barnes & Noble is an American bookseller founded in 1917.
The bookseller uses email campaigns to alert their subscribers of new books. Through creative and consistent email campaigns, B&N reaches their customers and keep growing the brand.
Starting Email Marketing Campaigns
- Understand who you're emailing.
- Create a goal for the campaign.
- Outline the email or emails that will be included in the campaign.
- Spend time on the subject lines.
- Write copy that's suited for them.
- Use a comprehensive email builder.
- Include personalization elements and excellent imagery.
- Include calls-to-action where appropriate.
- Test your emails and make sure they work on all devices.
For effective email marketing campaigns, use trusted emailing tools. Examples of email marketing tools available today are:
Affordable Email Marketing Software for Small Business.
- 1,000 contacts $0/mo
- 2,500 $15/mo
- 5,000 $30/mo
- 10,000 $50/mo
Businesses using Mailerlite:
A marketing automation platform and an email marketing service.
The free plan, up to 2000 subscribers - what you get
- Send up to 12,000 emails per month
- Up to 2,000 subscribers
- Email support included for 30 days
"Essentials" plan Plans start at $10 per month
- Up to 5,000 subscribers $50 per month
- Up to 10,000 subscribers $75 per month
- Up to 25,000 subscribers $150 per month
Standard plan Plans start at $15 per month
- Up to 5,000 subscribers $75 per month
- Up to 10,000 subscribers $99 per month
Up to 20,000 subscribers $189 per month
Businesses using MailChimp:
Contributors to this article:
- Pat Walls, Founder @ Starter Story
- Samantha Walls, Head Of Content @ Starter Story
- David Gitonga, Writer @ Starter Story
Want to start your own business?
Hey! 👋I'm Pat Walls, the founder of Starter Story.
We interview successful business owners and share the stories behind their business. By sharing these stories, we want to help you get started.
Interested in starting your own business? Join Starter Story Premium to get the greatest companion to starting and growing your business:
- Connect + get advice from successful entrepreneurs
- Step by step guides on how to start and grow
- Exclusive and early access to the best case studies on the web
- And much more!
Did you know that brands using Klaviyo average a 95x ROI?
Email, SMS, and more — Klaviyo brings your marketing all together, fueling growth without burning through time and resources.
Deliver more relevant email and text messages — powered by your data. Klaviyo helps you turn one-time buyers into repeat customers with all the power of an enterprise solution and none of the complexity.