This article is a part of our encyclopedia, and is editable by you. Edit ➜
What Is Customer Service?
Customer service is the act of supporting and advocating for customers in their discovery, use optimization, and troubleshooting of a product or a service
Great customer service is something that you may want to consider prioritizing from day one. Good customer support will not only retain existing ones but will also directly impact future sales.
Do you know that 77% of customers are more loyal to businesses that offer top-notch customer service? Therefore, offering excellent customer service should be your top priority as it will make your business stand out from your competitors' and will increase the percentage of loyal customers.
In this post, we look at important things you need to know when it comes to ensuring great customer service.
Customer Service Key Takeaways
- Consumers want personal and engaging experiences that develop into relationships
- 86% of customers are willing to pay more for great customer service.
- When customers experience poor service, they switch to competitors
- Great customer service is at the core of high customer retention
How Great Customer Service Supports Your Marketing Efforts
Customer service is important to your business because it is what retains customers and extracts more value from them.
Here are the top 7 reasons to invest in high-quality customer service:
- Increases customer retention rate because satisfied customers are more likely to come back
- Great customer service is essential in relaying to customers your brand image, mission, and vision.
- Working to improving customer service results in increased revenue
- Happy customers will recommend your brand to their friends and relatives
- Professional customer service builds a better brand reputation
- Great customer service equals higher customer lifetime value
- Positive customer experiences build brand awareness
Therefore, customer service is no longer a cost center. Rather, it is an opportunity to generate more sales and improve brand awareness.
What does Great Customer Service Look Like?
Good customer service experiences are the result of a kind and customer-centric staff. Therefore, the customer-centric staff practices the following when handling their customers:
- Respond quickly: Customers appreciate a fast response whenever they ask questions or highlight an issue
- Act on customer Feedback: Whenever customer service employees act on customer feedback, it is an indication that customers' opinions mattered.
- Show empathy: Employees that understand customer’s point of view make the customer feel valued
- Maintain Updated FAQ Section: when customers want to find answers they can quickly view the FAQs or knowledge base on demand
- Provides Omnichannel support: We live in a world characterized by different communication channels and so customers want customer service that provides flexibility.
Real World Examples of Great Customer Service
Here are examples of how brands focus on maintaining great customer service.
1. How Adobe Ensures Timely Customer Service Responds To Customer Service Complaints Before they Happen
When Adobe had an outage due to the issue with Amazon Web Services, they posted a tweet about the issue before customers' complaints started trickling in. The Tweet contained a video of puppies, the lighten the mood.
This example shows that sometimes it is good for a brand to acknowledge and anticipate when customers are likely to start complaining. In this case, customers are patient and do not end up criticizing your brand.
2. How Tesla Offers Fast Customer Service
Tesla literally means it when it comes to providing great customer service. Fast customer service is convenient to the customers as they do not have to tow the vehicle or even sit around the repair shop for hours waiting to be served.
In this example, Chris called Tesla and within less than an hour, the issue was attended to. The example illustrates that customers value it when you respond on time and ensure show that you care about their convenience.
Great customer service is something that you may want to consider prioritizing from day one. Support for your customers will not only retain existing ones but will also directly impact future sales.
How To Deliver Great Customer Service
Here are important tips to guide you when it comes to customer service
- Know your product so that you can discuss the features and help customers troubleshoot
- Maintain a positive attitude whenever you speak to customers
- Solve customer problems creatively
- Respond quickly and appropriately
- Offer personalized customer service
- Provide informative FAQ page, clear product pages, and knowledge base
- Integrate customer service software to your service (see examples below)
Examples Of Effective Customer Service Solutions
- Zendesk: Makes things easy on your customers and sets your customer service teams up for success while keeping your business in sync.
- SproutSocial: Customer service software that helps facilitate conversations across all social media channels.
- SAP : Engage your customers by acting on insights and delivering hyper-personalized experiences.
- Facebook Messenger: enable customers to get fast, convenient messaging support on phones all over the world.
- Slack: Allows internal customers to seamlessly get support from IT or HR departments.
Customer service software and support ticketing system.
Businesses using Zendesk:
All-in-one social media management platform unlocks the full potential of social to transform not just your marketing strategy but every area of your organization.
- Try Sprout Social for free with a 30-day trial
- Standard: $89 per user/month (billed annually) or $99 month-to-month
- Professional: $149 per user/month (billed annually) or $169 month-to-month
Advanced: $249 per user/month (billed annually) or $279 month-to-month
Businesses using Sprout Social:
SAP Customer Experience
Capitalize on customer insight, improve front-line efficiency and effectiveness, streamline critical business processes
- Website: sap.com
A cloud-based set of proprietary team collaboration tools and services.
Businesses using Slack:
Facebook Chat App
Live chat with your customers using Facebook Messenger.
- Pricing: Freemium
- Twitter: @beeketing
- Website: https://apps.shopify.com/facebook-live-chat?ref=starter-story
Businesses using Facebook Chat App:
Contributors to this article:
- Pat Walls, Founder @ Starter Story
- David Gitonga, Writer @ Starter Story
- Ankita Ghosh
Want to start your own business?
Hey! 👋I'm Pat Walls, the founder of Starter Story.
We interview successful business owners and share the stories behind their business. By sharing these stories, we want to help you get started.
Interested in starting your own business? Join Starter Story Premium to get the greatest companion to starting and growing your business:
- Connect + get advice from successful entrepreneurs
- Step by step guides on how to start and grow
- Exclusive and early access to the best case studies on the web
- And much more!
Did you know that brands using Klaviyo average a 95x ROI?
Email, SMS, and more — Klaviyo brings your marketing all together, fueling growth without burning through time and resources.
Deliver more relevant email and text messages — powered by your data. Klaviyo helps you turn one-time buyers into repeat customers with all the power of an enterprise solution and none of the complexity.