This article is a part of our encyclopedia, and is editable by you. Edit ➜
What Is Content Marketing Partnerships?
Content marketing partnerships involve collaboration with other brands on specific content projects, such as:
- Link sharing: one business creates the content, and other brand shares with their audience (and vise-versa)
- Co-creation: both brands create content together, such as whitepapers, infographics, articles, blogs, videos, etc. These are then shared equally amongst each brand's audience.
This can be extremely helpful for SEO and brand exposure. Plus, it can be a fun way to interact and learn from another business.
In this post, we explain how content marketing partnerships work.
Content Marketing Partnerships Key Takeaways
- The top content marketing goals among marketers are generating quality leads and increasing website traffic.
- Over 80% of marketers are using content marketing actively.
- The biggest challenge for content marketers is finding partners with adequate content and topic expertise.
Understanding How Content Marketing Partnerships Work
Trying to market using your own content can feel overwhelming.
That does not mean you stop creating content for your marketing campaigns.
Forming the right content marketing partnership could help you reach out target audience.
Ideally, content marketing partnerships are where you identify a viable content creator, and enter into agreements to promote each other’s content on individual platforms.
Content marketing partnerships will expose your brand and products to their audience, and vice-versa.
Therefore, such partnerships help brands build collective authority as experts in the chosen fields.
Real-World Examples of Content Marketing Partnerships
1. Optum Gets Into Content Marketing Partnership With Washington Post To Deliver Awareness
Optum is a healthcare company that played a huge role in opioid prevention, treatment, and recovery.
In its collaboration with the Washington Post, Optum uses a mix of video, sound, stats, and photography to create a truly unique piece of content that delivered detailed insight into the opioid crisis.
While Optum really took the lead on creating the content, it was posted by the Washington Post.
Both parties benefitted from the partnership with Optum given a platform from which to voice the dangers of opioids and the Washington Post providing readers an intriguing piece of journalism.
2. Easterseals Gets Into content Marketing Partnership With Variety To Reach Target audience
Easterseals is a charitable organization working on changing how the world defines and views disability.
The strategic content partnership with an entertainment magazine variety seeks to explain to readers the underrepresentation of people with disabilities in the entertainment industry.
The piece of sponsored content is a win-win situation since Easterseals got the message to the target audience, while the entertainment magazine had insightful content for their audience.
How To Start Content Marketing Partnerships
1. Determine Most Valuable Keywords
Keywords make the foundation of any content marketing. Remember that focusing on general keywords gets you lost.
Once you have the keywords, you can begin searching the top authoritative websites.
2. Finding Most authoritative Websites
Now that you have conducted the search for keywords, you need to find authoritative websites.
It is always better to get backlinks from websites with more authority. Therefore, search and list the authoritative websites.
3. Go for Websites That Match your Niche, and Style
Not all websites will help you when it comes to content marketing partnerships.
It helps if you scrutinize the websites, and identify the ones that match your niche and style.
Check out the author's bio and research their content style before pitching for a content marketing partnership.
Make sure you can match their expectations too.
4. Develop a Relationship With Content Marketing Partners
You may follow the content marketing partner on social media or even subscribe to their RSS feeds.
Start interacting with them through comments, and ask questions to help you understand them and deliver to their expectations.
Content marketing partnership involves a similar concept to guest blogging.
Done right, content marketing partnership can do wonders when it comes to expanding brand reach and enhancing reputation.
For a successful experience, follow the tips we have shared here.
Contributors to this article:
- Pat Walls, Founder @ Starter Story
- David Gitonga, Writer @ Starter Story
- Ankita Ghosh
Want to start your own business?
Hey! 👋I'm Pat Walls, the founder of Starter Story.
We interview successful business owners and share the stories behind their business. By sharing these stories, we want to help you get started.
Interested in starting your own business? Join Starter Story Premium to get the greatest companion to starting and growing your business:
- Connect + get advice from successful entrepreneurs
- Step by step guides on how to start and grow
- Exclusive and early access to the best case studies on the web
- And much more!
Did you know that brands using Klaviyo average a 95x ROI?
Email, SMS, and more — Klaviyo brings your marketing all together, fueling growth without burning through time and resources.
Deliver more relevant email and text messages — powered by your data. Klaviyo helps you turn one-time buyers into repeat customers with all the power of an enterprise solution and none of the complexity.