This article is a part of our encyclopedia, and is editable by you. Edit ➜
What Is Product Line Expansion?
Product line expansion simply refers to a way of focusing on your customer's requirements and offering them variants of the current products that they already love.
Before undertaking the product line expansion strategy, consider listening to customers' feedback. Focus on understanding their current pain points and look at ways to make your products appeal to a broader market.
It's important to note that adding new products and diversifying may not be in the cards for you right this moment, and that's okay. You can always consider it down the road.
Product Line Expansion Key Takeaways
- Product line expansion does not necessarily mean you will keep the same customers. You could introduce a brand new product targeting a brand new audience.
- When expanding the product line, it is imperative to focus on product quality. Sacrificing any of the quality of your product in order to expand, sets your brand for failure in the long term.
- Before choosing the product expansion strategy, research and understand the upcoming trends. Remember, some trends fade quicker than others. It's important to find and create a sustainable solution for your audience.
Understanding Product Line Expansion
After small business gains traction in the market place, the business owner can take advantage of brand strength by pursuing product line expansion.
Product expansion strategy may include the vertical or the horizontal products to your original:
Vertical product line expansion features creating new variations of your original product.
Thus, you could add new colors or materials to the existing product.
Horizontal product line expansion entails the introduction of complementary products.
Therefore, horizontal product expansion allows the company to make more products targeting the current or new customer base.
Although both product expansion strategies are viable, each method depends entirely upon your business goals and resources.
Real World Examples of Product Line Expansion
Uber Technologies Inc was founded in San Francisco in March 2009 as a ridesharing app.
Twelve years later; the company is active in over 900 cities, with millions of users relying on the ridesharing app. To ensure customer satisfaction, Uber provides a wide range of ride preferences.
Thus, a customer can enjoy a personalized comfort level by selecting from the wide range of options available on Uber.
For Uber, changing how people can request rides from point A to Point B was just the beginning.
Today, customers can request food delivery service through Uber Eats, while the company is also committed to improving public transport for all, as well as provision of health care to those who need it.
Coca Cola is another example of a company that has practiced product line extension.
Over the past century, the soft drink company has introduced variations of its coke soda. These variations range from packaging to flavor.
Coca cola`s product extension strategy has made sure that customers can enjoy their favorite drink regardless of the preferred flavor or packaging.
How to Get Started with Product Line Expansion
To ensure a successful product line expansion, follow these tips:
- Listen to your customers for ideas on improving your existing offerings and suggestions for completely new products or services
- Look at ways your product or services could appeal to a broader market and look at what you can offer new markets
- Get the inside scoop on what is happening in your industry to see where the market is headed
- Expand your product distribution channels to attract more customers and appeal to new markets
- Having a scalable infrastructure and foundation is crucial when expanding the product vision
Contributors to this article:
- David Gitonga, Writer @ Starter Story
- Samantha Walls, Head Of Content @ Starter Story
- Pat Walls, Founder @ Starter Story
Want to start your own business?
Hey! 👋I'm Pat Walls, the founder of Starter Story.
We interview successful business owners and share the stories behind their business. By sharing these stories, we want to help you get started.
Interested in starting your own business? Join Starter Story Premium to get the greatest companion to starting and growing your business:
- Connect + get advice from successful entrepreneurs
- Step by step guides on how to start and grow
- Exclusive and early access to the best case studies on the web
- And much more!
Are you ready to boost your revenue?
Using Klaviyo will open up a massive, untapped sales channel and bring you closer to your customers!
Level up your email marketing with Klaviyo!