This article is a part of our encyclopedia, and is editable by you. Edit ➜
What Is A Press Release?
A press release is a marketing strategy that involves sending out a newsworthy bulletin.
Targeting journalists and potential customers, the press release provides a popular approach for getting immediate brand exposure.
For startups, getting more press is an attractive approach to gain traction, so that target customers know who you are, and what you are offering them.
Press Release Key Takeaways
- Press releases provide immediate brand exposure
- If done right, a press release could potentially increase sales
- New startups should focus on issuing press releases that provide an opportunity to gain some initial traction to their website, shop, or products
Understanding Press Releases
The first step when preparing a press release is defining a clear objective and outlining reasons why you think the release is important.
Focus on putting together newsworthy content, which will catch the attention of your target audience.
Do include a provocative and SEO-friendly press release headline.
In addition, the press release should include a strong call to action so that your audience knows what to do next.
Real World Examples: Press Release
Upwork is a great example of a company that uses press releases to reach their target audience.
Recently, Upwork released a press statement about the companies earnings.
During the press release via CNBC, the CEO of Upwork took the opportunity to let their users know about the companies new industry category dubbed “the work marketplace”.
Further, the company emphasized that companies in the US are facing employee shortage, and so, there is the need for those companies to source freelancers through their platform which connects them to global talent.
From the above example, it's clear that the announcement of company earnings is a newsworthy topic that is interesting, hence attracts the target audience.
Want to learn more about Upwork?
The largest freelancing website, where businesses connect with talented freelancers.
Businesses using Upwork:
Another example of companies that gets more press through news releases is Nestle. The company made a bold decision to announce the recent acquisition of Essentia.
During the press release, Nestle makes it clear their intention to reform the global water industry.
The press release not only talks about their acquisition but also explains to customers what to expect in years to come.
This provides a great opportunity for the company to inform their customers of the recent acquisition, and also to builds customer trust.
How to Get Started
To create a press release, follow these steps:
- Come up with a powerful headline
- Go straight into the details of your presser
- Offer a choice quote to backup the arguments
- Supply appropriate background information
- Keep the details of the press release clear and accurate
- Include mixed media to enrich your press statement
- Distribute the press release to specific media outlets
- Give reporters adequate lead time to create the writeup
- Share the press release on your channels, and encourage others to do so as well!
Contributors to this article:
- Pat Walls, Founder @ Starter Story
- Samantha Walls, Head Of Content @ Starter Story
- David Gitonga, Writer @ Starter Story
Want to start your own business?
Hey! 👋I'm Pat Walls, the founder of Starter Story.
We interview successful business owners and share the stories behind their business. By sharing these stories, we want to help you get started.
Interested in starting your own business? Join Starter Story Premium to get the greatest companion to starting and growing your business:
- Connect + get advice from successful entrepreneurs
- Step by step guides on how to start and grow
- Exclusive and early access to the best case studies on the web
- And much more!
Did you know that brands using Klaviyo average a 95x ROI?
Email, SMS, and more — Klaviyo brings your marketing all together, fueling growth without burning through time and resources.
Deliver more relevant email and text messages — powered by your data. Klaviyo helps you turn one-time buyers into repeat customers with all the power of an enterprise solution and none of the complexity.