This article is a part of our encyclopedia, and is editable by you. Edit ➜
What Is Business Mentorship?
Mentorship is a relationship between two people where the individuals with more experience, knowledge, and connections pass along the knowledge to a junior individual within a certain field.
In business, mentorship offers critical support and guidance needed to improve the problem-solving skills and develop business leadership skills.
Therefore, juniors put the skills and ideas they get from seniors to make decisions with more confidence.
Business Mentorship Key Takeaways
- When you mentor, you set an example on how to move a business forward
- Business mentorship contributes to loyalty and commitment to business success
- Mentorship relationship requires proper planning
- Mentorship involves a stepwise development
Understanding How Business Mentorship Works
At its best, business mentoring activates the skills of the mentee within the current role. The business mentor helps groom the mentee for the next role.
Therefore, business mentoring provides a confidential sounding board, thinking room, and support throughout crucial and often complex decision-making processes.
Ideally, business mentorship is a highly effective way for improving business performance.
Business mentorship provides the following benefits:
- Personal development
- Increased job satisfaction
- Honing essential leadership skills
- Developing self-knowledge and self-awareness
Business mentorship compared to attending networking events, where attendees learn from each other.
Examples of Successful Business Mentorship Programs
Here are cool examples of businesses that flourish through mentorship programs.
1. General Electric Mentorship Program Equips Employs Tools they Need
General Electric , an American multinational, is a leader in mentoring and was one of the companies to adopt reverse mentoring.
The company’s mentoring program encourages collaborative learning and brings in top executives to mentor employees at all levels.
The mentorship program allows executives and employees to build real, human connections. Besides, the program encourages employees to develop themselves while equipping them with the tools they need to succeed.
2. How Whole foods Is Transferring Knowledge and Expertise through Mentorship Program
Whole Foods is a multinational supermarket headquartered in Austin Texas.
The multinational runs a mentorship program aimed at tapping into the existing knowledge, skills, and experience of team members and transfer to others.
The mentorship program enables the company to close generational and engagement gaps while shaping the company’s future by creating a powerful workforce.
The mentees gain valuable insights and learn the organization's priorities, and gain self-confidence to handle challenges and reach new goals.
How To Run A Successful Mentorship Program
- Define program objectives before the mentorship program begins
- Inspire mentees to be proactive
- Create program awareness to ensure better engagement and guarantee better outcomes
- Engage the participants actively
- Leverage the resources and content
- Monitor and manage the program
- Provide participants resources and content to supplement the mentorship program
- Take advantage of mentoring tools to run a successful program
Examples of Mentoring Tools
To improve your results, use the following tools.
- MentoringComplete: Comes with a matching algorithm that boasts a 90% success rate.
- Pushfar: Easy to set up and run engaging mentoring programs
- Graduway: Combines technology and big data to automate the mentor-mentee matching process
Comes with matching algorithm that boasts a 90% success rate.
- Pricing: Freemium
- Twitter: @bizmentoring
- Website: https://www.mentoringcomplete.com/mentoringcomplete
Easy to set up and run engaging mentoring programs
- Pricing: Freemium
- Website: www.pushfar.com/mentoring-software
Combines technology and big data to automate the mentor-mentee matching process
- Website: graduway.com
Contributors to this article:
- Pat Walls, Founder @ Starter Story
- David Gitonga, Writer @ Starter Story
Discover the best strategies of successful business owners
Join our newsletter and receive our handcrafted recap with the best insights shared by founders in Starter Story each week.
Useful, convenient, and free:
Did you know that brands using Klaviyo average a 95x ROI?
Email, SMS, and more — Klaviyo brings your marketing all together, fueling growth without burning through time and resources.
Deliver more relevant email and text messages — powered by your data. Klaviyo helps you turn one-time buyers into repeat customers with all the power of an enterprise solution and none of the complexity.