Establishing your it support is an essential first step in starting your business.
However, the reality is, the cost of it support can add up very quickly, so it’s important that you explore all your options before making any decisions.
Before we dive into the cost of it support, we must first understand exactly what it support is, and why it plays a vital role in starting your business.
What Is IT Support?
IT Support is considered to be apart of your software expenses when getting your small business off the ground.
IT support installs and configures hardware and software and solves any technical issues that may arise.
IT support can be used internally or for your customers experiencing issues with your product/service.
There are a variety of tools and software you can use to help with any technical issues you or your customers are experiencing. This is a great option for businesses that do not have the means to hire a team of professionals.
One of the most common questions we get at Starter Story is “How much does it support cost in 2021?
In this post, we will explain everything you need to know about:
- The average cost and breakdown for it support
- The best tools and services to use for your it support
- How to make the most of your money when investing in a it support
How Much Does IT Support Cost?
- Minimum cost of it support: $150
- Maximum cost of it support: $2,000
- Average cost of it support: $1,075
This estimate depends on a number of factors, including which service or tools you choose, the scope of your business and your overall needs as it relates to it support.
Below, we will dive into the best tools and services to jumpstart your it support.
Best Tools And Services For IT Support
There are plenty of different tools and resources available to help with it support.
It’s important that you do your due diligence to determine your exact goals as it relates to your it support.
First and foremost, you should ask yourself a few questions prior to starting your research:
- How much can/should I spend on it support?
- What value and return will it support bring to my business?
- Do I need a professional it support service or tool, or is this something I can do without?
- What will the ongoing costs for it support look like?
Once you have an idea as to what you are looking for, it’s time to begin the research process!
We’ve identified the top tools and services for it support:
While Intercom is mainly a live chat interface, it's also a pretty full featured CRM and customer communication platform.
You can engage your leads or existing customers with email marketing and segmentation.
(for the all-in-one solution)
- Essential - $87/month
- Pro - $153/month
How To Keep IT Support Costs Low
It’s easy to get ahead of your budget as it relates to your it support.
After doing research on the different tools and services available, you should consider a few things:
- Is it support something I can do on my own?
- Is there a low cost or free way to get my it support (ie. freemium versions, partnerships or trade).
- Are there some parts of it support I can do on my own, and others I can buy or outsource?
It’s important you spend the time asking yourself these questions so that you are the most prepared when it comes to your it support.
To help you put your money where it matters, we put together a list of 20 free small business budget templates, including a startup cost template to help you get your business started.
What Other Software Expenses Should I Know About?
IT Support will be one of many software expenses you will need to consider when starting your business.
To learn more about other software expenses’s and best practices, we put together a list for you here:
- Design Programs & Software
- IT Support
- CRM Software
- Project Management Software
- Internal Communication Tool
- Social Media Management Tools
- Email marketing tool
- Online data storage
- Payroll Software
- Accounting & Invoicing Software