This article is a part of our encyclopedia, and is editable by you. Edit ➜
What Is Foursquare App?
Foursquare is a local search-and-discovery mobile app developed by Foursquare Labs Inc. The app provides personalized recommendations of best places to visit based on users:
- Current location
- Previous browsing history
- Check-in history
Over 50 million people use Foursquare to discover great businesses. Therefore, creating a foursquare account provides your brand a great approach to attract foot traffic to your business.
Foursquare Key Takeaways
- Brands use the Foursquare app to vary their content, in order to create compelling campaigns.
- Only verified business owners have access to the Foursquare merchant platform
- Foursquare venues become active immediately while Foursquare pages take about two weeks
- Brands pay a fee to create a Foursquare partner badge
Understanding How Foursquare App Works
When users download and install Foursquare App into Smartphones, the app notifies the user's friends about what friends are doing and vice-versa.
To maximize the benefits of the Foursquare app, the app pulls a list of nearby businesses or attractions, whenever the user checks in. Then, the app will notify businesses where the user is and the time of arrival.
This is where businesses with a Foursquare account benefit because user's friends see which locations they eat, shop, work, and more.
Therefore, whenever friends visit the same locations, they are influenced to check out the same venues, based on the recommendations from the trusted connection.
Examples of Businesses Using Foursquare Successfully
Here are great examples of brands using Foursquare to deliver successful campaigns
1. How Anheuser-Busch InBev used Foursquare Tech To Deliver Targeted Ads
The world’s largest brewer, Anheuser-Busch InBev, wanted to create product awareness in stadiums, and drive brand association with the NFL.
Using foursquare real-time audience segments, Bon & Viv delivered 7.5 Million mobile ads to fans during the games at 27 NFL stadiums leading into the playoffs.
The campaigns resulted in:
- 31% lift in brand recall
- 28% lift in ad recall
- 18% lift in purchase intent.
2. L.L . Bean Leveraged Location To Showcase its Summer Products
L.L. Bean an American, privately-held retail company, wanted to drive brand awareness and engagements around the seasonal products.
Foursquare identified and analyzed outdoor enthusiasts, providing rich insights on where they go in the real world. Utilizing user-generated content and machine learning, Foursquare developed location-contextual media units recommending the top outdoor spots nearby.
Foursquare delivered video and high-impact display advertisements, optimizing in real-time. As a result, LL Bean exceeded benchmarks for rich media engagement by 2 times and time spent by 1.5 times.
How To Begin Using Foursquare Marketing
- Claim your businesses location
- Use and promote local updates
- Offer Foursquare specials
- Add engaging tips about your company
- Create the foursquare page
- Use lists on your page
- Add Foursquare Plugins to your website
- Enhance your events
- Create Foursquare badges
- Use signs at your business locations
Visit the Foursquare website today and signup.
Independent location data platform for understanding how people move through the real world.
Businesses using Foursquare:
Contributors to this article:
- Pat Walls, Founder @ Starter Story
- David Gitonga, Writer @ Starter Story
Want to start your own business?
Hey! 👋I'm Pat Walls, the founder of Starter Story.
We interview successful business owners and share the stories behind their business. By sharing these stories, we want to help you get started.
Interested in starting your own business? Join Starter Story Premium to get the greatest companion to starting and growing your business:
- Connect + get advice from successful entrepreneurs
- Step by step guides on how to start and grow
- Exclusive and early access to the best case studies on the web
- And much more!
Did you know that brands using Klaviyo average a 95x ROI?
Email, SMS, and more — Klaviyo brings your marketing all together, fueling growth without burning through time and resources.
Deliver more relevant email and text messages — powered by your data. Klaviyo helps you turn one-time buyers into repeat customers with all the power of an enterprise solution and none of the complexity.