Establishing your app development is an essential first step in starting your business.
However, the reality is, the cost of app development can add up very quickly, so it’s important that you explore all your options before making any decisions.
Before we dive into the cost of app development, we must first understand exactly what app development is, and why it plays a vital role in starting your business.
What Is App Development?
App Development is considered to be apart of your app creation costs when getting your small business off the ground.
App development is the process of creating software intended to run on a mobile device.
In addition to coding, there are other elements to consider:
- back end development
Many businesses hire an expert that has the technical knowledge to design and develop an app.
Depending on the scope of your project, the cost can vary. Some business owners learn to code on their own to minimize these costs, and others, hire a developer to work for them part-time or full-time.
One of the most common questions we get at Starter Story is “How much does app development cost in 2021?
In this post, we will explain everything you need to know about:
- The average cost and breakdown for app development
- The best tools and services to use for your app development
- How to make the most of your money when investing in a app development
How Much Does App Development Cost?
- Minimum cost of app development: $1,000
- Maximum cost of app development: $20,000
- Average cost of app development: $10,500
This estimate depends on a number of factors, including which service or tools you choose, the scope of your business and your overall needs as it relates to app development.
Below, we will dive into the best tools and services to jumpstart your app development.
Best Tools And Services For App Development
There are plenty of different tools and resources available to help with app development.
It’s important that you do your due diligence to determine your exact goals as it relates to your app development.
First and foremost, you should ask yourself a few questions prior to starting your research:
- How much can/should I spend on app development?
- What value and return will app development bring to my business?
- Do I need a professional app development service or tool, or is this something I can do without?
- What will the ongoing costs for app development look like?
Once you have an idea as to what you are looking for, it’s time to begin the research process!
We’ve identified the top tools and services for app development:
If you're looking to hire talent to develop your app, there are plenty of freelancer networks you can use
This is known to be one of the most inexpensive approaches to developing an app:
How To Keep App Development Costs Low
It’s easy to get ahead of your budget as it relates to your app development.
After doing research on the different tools and services available, you should consider a few things:
- Is app development something I can do on my own?
- Is there a low cost or free way to get my app development (ie. freemium versions, partnerships or trade).
- Are there some parts of app development I can do on my own, and others I can buy or outsource?
It’s important you spend the time asking yourself these questions so that you are the most prepared when it comes to your app development.
To help you put your money where it matters, we put together a list of 20 free small business budget templates, including a startup cost template to help you get your business started.
What Other App Creation Costs Should I Know About?
App Development will be one of many app creation costs you will need to consider when starting your business.
To learn more about other app creation costs’s and best practices, we put together a list for you here:
- Apple Developer Program
- App Development
Hey! 👋 I'm Pat Walls, the founder of Starter Story.
Get our 5-minute email newsletter packed with business ideas and money-making opportunities, backed by real-life case studies.
- 4,818 founder case studies
- Access to our founder directory
- Live events, courses and recordings
- 8,628 business ideas
- $1M in software savings