This article is a part of our encyclopedia, and is editable by you. Edit ➜
What Is A Customer Of the Month Program?
Customer of the month is a loyalty program that aims at promoting brand loyalty in order to increase your profits through repeat buying.
According to a study published by Havard Business School, holding on to just 5% of your customers can increase your profits by as much as 25% to an astounding 95%.
One of the effective strategies when it comes to brand loyalty is the customer of the month program. The employee of the month award goes to the customer who brought more value to the business. By rewarding the customer, you challenge other customers to perform better in order to scope next month’s award.
- Customer loyalty programs build stronger customer relationships
- A company's most loyal customers are also its most profitable 
- Have a clear definition of what determines the winner
- Offer a valuable prize to gain attention for the program
- Invest in customer research to make sure you craft the right program
Understanding How Customer Of The Month Program Works
Customer of the month programs encourage brand loyalty and build long-term relationships with customers.
It is important that there is a clear definition of the criteria for the 'customer of the month' is clear, and public information. It is important that you are fair in your decision.
To pick your "customer of the month", you should look at the following criteria:
- Volume of purchases
- Repeat purchase cadence
- Ability to purchase more products and services
- Speed of payment
- Customer profitability
- Loyalty over time
How to Set Up A Successful Customer Of The Month Program
- Study your current customers through surveys, interviews and monitoring customer comments
- Set goals and measure them
- Set a budget
- Pick the right customer
- Let them know they won
- Let the public know they won via social media
- Ensure you do this every month!
Benefits of running a customer of the month program
- Retain existing customers
- Increases customer lifetime value
- Builds personal relationships
- Creates brand advocates
A dedicated customer of the month program is a great way to say a big thank you.
Real-World Examples Of Successful Customer Of The month Programs
Here are inspiring examples of the successful customer of the month programs you can copy from
1. Your Co-op Rewards Customers For Providing Insights To Improve Products and Services
Your Co-op is a UK company providing broadband, energy, phone, and mobile services to residential and commercial customers.
The company, set up a customer of the month program, aiming at rewarding their loyal customers for providing insights to improve the products and services.
The winner receives a free credit and is recognized on the company’s website. From this example, it is clear that running a customer of the month program does not have to be expensive.
Customers are delighted to receive freebies and even recognition. Besides, a customer of the month program does not have to be based on rewarding customers for spending. You can reward the customers for merely contributing to product design or even referrals.
2. Steadfast Rewards Loyal Customer Of The Month
Steadfast is a managed IT infrastructure company focusing on providing solutions that best suit customer's requirements.
To boost brand loyalty and establish long-lasting relationships, the company set up a customer loyalty program that saw winners enjoy free brand exposure on steadfast blogs, social media announcements, and a personalized customer of the month plaque.
The program was open to new and existing customers. To enter, the customers just needed to share their steadfast stories.
Steadfast choose a participation matrix that is simple and straightforward to the customers. Besides, the company knew that their target customers are interested in brand publicity and so they choose to reward them with a free chance to be featured on the company’s blog, social media posts as well as a personalized customer plaque
Contributors to this article:
- Pat Walls, Founder @ Starter Story
- David Gitonga, Writer @ Starter Story
Want to start your own business?
Hey! 👋I'm Pat Walls, the founder of Starter Story.
We interview successful business owners and share the stories behind their business. By sharing these stories, we want to help you get started.
Interested in starting your own business? Join Starter Story Premium to get the greatest companion to starting and growing your business:
- Connect + get advice from successful entrepreneurs
- Step by step guides on how to start and grow
- Exclusive and early access to the best case studies on the web
- And much more!
Did you know that brands using Klaviyo average a 95x ROI?
Email, SMS, and more — Klaviyo brings your marketing all together, fueling growth without burning through time and resources.
Deliver more relevant email and text messages — powered by your data. Klaviyo helps you turn one-time buyers into repeat customers with all the power of an enterprise solution and none of the complexity.