What Is Craigslist?
Craigslist is a classified advertisements website with sections devoted to jobs, housing, for sale, items wanted, services, community service, gigs, résumés, and discussion forums.
Since the mid-1990s, Craigslist is still going strong and has over 60 million U.S. users. Besides, Craigslist attracts 50 billion page views every month.
Based on such statistics, craigslist provides an effective advertising platform for your brand.
In this post, we look at important facts about Craigslist advertising and share some cool examples to inspire you.
Craigslist Key Takeaways
- Craigslist gets an estimated 10 million unique visitors per day
- To enjoy an excellent exposure on Craigslist follow the applicable rules
- Craigslist users comprise buyers and sellers
- Many of Craigslist’s daily visitors are qualified buyers, looking to make immediate purchases.
- The platform features a very simple interface and several highly targeted sub-sections
How Craigslist Works
Craigslist is an online classified and forum site allowing users to post items for sale or seek out items they are hoping to purchase.
For startups, Craigslist is a great way to reach potential customers.
The user-friendly website features highly targeted sub-sections where businesses can get the word out about a new product or even a job offer. Alternatively, startups can generate website traffic by including links on their Ad descriptions or forum posts.
Craigslist is available globally, offering businesses the opportunity to target a global customer base. Therefore, advertising on Craigslist provides brands a great exposure, which is important in maximizing sales and brand awareness.
The platform charges for ads in selected cities, but no charge is made for any successful sale or contact.
To participate in any forum discussions or to post your own classifieds, you need to create a Craigslist account. Since you interact with strangers on Craigslist, Take precautions to protect yourself from fraud.
Note that illegal and inappropriate Craigslist postings are easily identifiable through the customer flagging system.
What Makes Craigslist Different From Other Marketing Channels?
Here are a handful of ways craigslist is different from other marketing channels:
- Posts are hyperlocal making it easier to test new locales
- Craigslist posts are seen based on how recent rather than on the keywords
- Craigslist is a text-heavy platform rather than feature images like is the case in social media
- The short lifespan of posts means you can test different kinds of content
- Craigslist features an organic and fast-moving nature
How To Promote Your Ad On Craigslist
When creating Craigslist ads, it is important to spend time putting in the effort that will improve Ad performance. Here are important things to bear in mind when creating a Craigslist listing
- Write clear titles that stand out
- Use a clear call to action
- Ensure shorter lines
- Add testimonials
- Include relevant keywords/search terms
- Add a link to your website
- Include images of the product you are advertising
- Re-post your Ads every two days
- Create multiple Ads
Real-World Examples Of Successful Craigslist Use-Cases
Here are great examples of how to use Craigslist to grow your business.
1. How Gary White Increased His Real Estate Business Using Craigslist
Gary White is a Real estate professional who uses Craigslist to generate leads. One of the secrets behind his success is the ability to ensure professional craigslist listing. Gary includes a link to his website to the Craigslist ads, so that interested buyers copy the link and paste it to the web browser. That way, the interested buyers find the contact details and sends inquiries.
Gary also uses a lead nurturing strategy to increase the conversion rates. Before Craigslist, he had little traffic to his website, but upon using Craigslist, he is now generating over a hundred leads. He insists on consistency when it comes to Craigslist.
2. How Almar Building & Remodeling Uses Craigslist To Generate Leads At Minimal Cost
Allison Guido, the General Manager of Almar Building & Remodeling was looking for a new way to target potential customers at minimum cost. Posting on Craigslist helped her generate leads from the internet.
Of the leads generated from the internet, one-third or more are from Craigslist. Since she started using Craigslist, the lead generation cost has declined significantly. Typically, she creates different ads for the firm's offerings and highlights the features using images and clear descriptions.
Ways to use Craigslist
You can build a strong strategy to use Craigslist for your store. Here are different ideas for you to leverage Craigslist to your advantage:
- Go to Craigslist forum and connect with relevant people on the forums
- Go to relevant Craigslist forum to research and build audience profiles
- Sell directly on Craigslist
- Contribute to forums to generate direct website traffic
- Test product descriptions to use in different marketplaces
Contributors to this article:
- Pat Walls, Founder @ Starter Story
- David Gitonga, Writer @ Starter Story
- Ankita Ghosh
Hey! 👋I'm Pat Walls, the founder of Starter Story.
We interview successful business owners and share the stories behind their business. By sharing these stories, we want to help you get started.
Interested in starting your own business? Join Starter Story Premium to get the greatest companion to starting and growing your business:
- Connect + get advice from successful entrepreneurs
- Step by step guides on how to start and grow
- Exclusive and early access to the best case studies on the web
- And much more!