This article is a part of our encyclopedia, and is editable by you. Edit ➜
What Is A Business Card?
A business card is a card bearing information about a business or an individual.
Business cards may seem like an "old" way to market yourself, but they still may be worth it.
A skillfully designed business card can be your best marketing tool especially if you meet many clients in person.
Business Card Design Key Takeaways
- When designing a business card, ensure it is easy to slip the card into your wallet
- The business card should have a good visual design, readability, and distinctive style
- The information displayed on your business cards should be clear to read and simple to understand
- Always include your email address, working phone number, and social media profiles
- The reverse card of your business card can be great for providing a link to your landing page or special discounts to the cardholder.
Understanding How Business Cards Work
Despite the exponential development of means of communication, business cards remain a handy marketing instrument and a part of business etiquette.
Giving your business card to contacts shows you respect and value the person.
In contrast to exchanging phone numbers, business cards are a physical object and allow you to support the visuals printed on the card with tactile sensations.
Maximize the promotional impact of your business cards by making them unique, look and feel professional, and credible.
Essentially, from the look, the business card should highlight your professionalism and quality of service.
Therefore, business owners should do the best to create a long-lasting and favorable impression.
Real-World Examples of Startups that Use Business Cards
1. Egypt Creek Landscaping
Egypt Creek is a top-rated landscaping and snow removal company in Michigan, USA.
Craig Wolff, the business owner, believes in the power of business cards in marketing his company.
The business card features a minimalist design but communicates to the cardholder what the business does. The backside is used to highlight the company's services.
2. Randy Charboneau
Randy Charboneau, a realtor at independence Realty uses business cards to market his business.
Randy puts his face to the business card so that it is easy for the business cardholder to remember him. The business card is easy to carry in a business card holder, while the designer included the relevant contact information.
For the realtor, marketing his business is easier using the business card, especially when attending real estate industry seminars.
How to Design and Use a Business Card to Market Your Startup
- Choose appropriate business card shape
- Define the business card size depending on the standard of your target country
- Add business logo and other relevant graphics that define your business
- Include all necessary text indicating your name, company name, your position, and your contact information
- Choose a professional typography
- Consider special finishes
- Pick card design tool and finalize the design
We found these tools to help you in designing business cards.
Free graphic-design tool website. Drag-and-drop format with access to over a million photographs, graphics, and fonts.
Businesses using Canva:
Business Card Maker
Vector graphics editing program with extensive editing functionality and templates to create professional business cards
- Website: canva.com
Businesses using Business Card Maker:
Business Card Designer Plus
Business card designing tool that provides customizable templates, shape tools, bar codes, and text effects
- Website: camdevelopment.com
To market with business cards, you may consider either or all of the following ideas:
- Creating a referral program on your card to reward cardholders who refer you to their network
- Make a game of business card distribution that rewards cardholders who get your card to most peoples hands
- Collaborate with past clients to display your business card at his location
Discover the best strategies of successful business owners
Join our newsletter and receive our handcrafted recap with the best insights shared by founders in Starter Story each week.
Useful, convenient, and free:
Are you ready to boost your revenue?
Using Klaviyo will open up a massive, untapped sales channel and bring you closer to your customers!
Level up your email marketing with Klaviyo!