The harsh truth is - depending on your approach, cold emails can go one of two ways:
- Pushy and ingenuine - typically leading to no response and lack of acknowledgment.
- Effective, personalized, and relevant to the customer- typically granting a response or at least a little curiosity...
Cold emails, if done the right way, are a great way to acquire new clients.
So, let's talk about general tips for crafting the perfect cold-email:
General Tips For Acquiring New Clients:
- Keep it short - the more you say, the more of a chance the reader will get bored or confused and not make it to the end of your email.
- Define and research your target audience- this builds trust and shows your customer that you truly care
- Personalize the content of your email - put yourself in their shoes... would you open an email that looked like it was mass-sent out to hundreds of other prospects?
- Demonstrate how your service will solve your customer's problem
Pro-tip: Send compelling follow-ups. You can automate follow-ups inside Gmail with Pigeon (and it's completely free).
High Performing Email in Action:
Here’s a breakdown of each sentence in an email to new clients that performs super well for me.
Sentence #1 - Something unique
- Do your research
- Stroke their ego
Sentence #2 - Get to the point
- What is the purpose of your email?
- Don’t beat around the bush
Sentence #3 - Introduce yourself
- Who are you
- Why are you important
- Keep this to one sentence
Sentence #4 - Benefits and social proof
- What’s in it for them?
- Explain the benefits
- Using words like SEO and using
- Use numbers (70k monthly readers) and stats.
- Use social proof - link to other brands you’ve worked with, testimonials, or articles written about you.
Sentence #5 - Pique their interest
- “If you’re interested, I can send you more details” - this implies there’s more to learn.
- Make it easy to respond - all they need to do is reply with one sentence “I’m interested” - rather than being confused on how to respond.
Discover the best strategies of successful business owners
Join our newsletter and receive our handcrafted recap with the best insights shared by founders in Starter Story each week.
Useful, convenient, and free:
Did you know that brands using Klaviyo average a 95x ROI?
Email, SMS, and more — Klaviyo brings your marketing all together, fueling growth without burning through time and resources.
Deliver more relevant email and text messages — powered by your data. Klaviyo helps you turn one-time buyers into repeat customers with all the power of an enterprise solution and none of the complexity.