How Much Do Website Builders Cost?
This article is a part of our encyclopedia, and is editable by you. Edit ➜
Paid website builders cost between $10 to $500 per website per month, however, there are some free options.
If you're just starting out, you shouldn’t need to pay more than $50 per month.
What are Some of the Best Website Builders?
There are a plethora of website builders in the current market. Below are some of the best and most recommended.
Best Free Website Builders (or have great free plan)
[todo: add quick pricing info at the end of the each description]
- Wix: Boasts intuitive designing capabilities with over 800 templates. Has free plan, paid plans start at $13/month.
- Weebly: A free way of building business websites but also has paid plans.
- Wordpress.com: One of the best builders for blogging platforms thanks to its flexibility and ubiquity.
- Squarespace: Popular for its improved aesthetic and persistent pursuit of easier ways to start a website.
- GoDaddy: This one has an awesome drag-and-drop interface and is perfect for those who need a hassle-free experience.
Best website builder for designers
Best website builder for e-commerce
- BigCommerce: Excellent for those who want to establish online stores and sell through almost all sales channels.
- Shopify: One of the most popular builders that helps you bring all your businesses online.
[todo: find other categories]
- Strikingly: Helps you build your brand without any design or coding skills.
- Jimdo: An easy way to create stores or professional websites.
- Ucraft: An excellent drag and drop website builder that needs no coding experience.
- SquareOnline: A great way to build an eCommerce website for all products you can think of selling.
- BigCartel: Helps makers and artists create online stores easily.
- Gator: A builder that allows you to look more amazing online.
- SITE123: An easy and free way to build a website with options for paid plans.
Cost of Some of the Best Website Builders
|Website Builder||Cost||Free Plan?||Free Trial?|
|1||Wix||Starts from $13 per month||Yes||No|
|2||Weebly||Starts from $12 per month||Yes||No|
|3||Squarespace||Starts from $6 per month||Yes||No|
|4||Wordpress.com||Starts from $4 per month||Yes||No|
|5||GoDaddy||Starts from $9.99 per month||Yes||No|
|6||BigCommerce||Starts from $29.95 per month||Yes||No|
|7||Strikingly||Starts from $ 8 per month||Yes||No|
|8||Jimdo||Starts from $ 10 per month||Yes||No|
|9||Shopify||Starts from $29 per month||Yes||No|
|10||SquareOnline||Starts from $12 per month||Yes||No|
|11||BigCartel||Starts from $9.99 per month||Yes||No|
|12||Gator||Starts from $9.22 per month||Yes||No|
|13||SITE123||Starts from $12.80 per month||Yes||No|
|14||Ucraft||Starts from $10 per month||Yes||No|
Costs Involved When Using Website Builders
[todo: combine this section with the section below]
You will pay more if you use a professional. These are easy, quick, and more convenient to use.
Example Cost: GoDaddy charges extra $12/month for premium support.
Most website builders have free custom domain plans. But this is usually just for the first year.
Example Cost: Squarespace changes $20-$70/year for an extra domain name. 
- Professional Assistance: You will pay more if you use a professional. These are easy, quick, and more convenient to use. You’ll pay a monthly or yearly subscription fee which is the primary cost.
- Domain Name: Most website builders have free custom domain plans. This is for the first year. Domain prices vary but will average $12 annually for the common .com domain.
- Applications: Adding applications to your website can be free or at a fee. Paid applications range from $3 to $12 monthly. You will select the apps you need and a plan that works best for you.
- Hosting, Themes, or Security: You don’t have to pay for hosting, themes, or security. Their costs are inclusive of the builder subscription.
What Features Of Website Builders Cost More?
- Website Hosting at $35 to $600 per year
- Website Domain costing between $12 and $60 per year
- Ecommerce Functionality at $20 t0 $24,000 per year
- Website Content costing between $0 and $5,000 per year
- SSL Certificate at $0 to $200 per year
How to Lower the Cost of Building a Website
1. Use Existing Templates
2. Go for Free Images
Use existing photographs and images. Ensure they are appropriate and of excellent quality for the pages you are using them for. There are sites with free photos that you can download and use. Two common ones are Unspash and Gratisography.
3. Reduce the Number of Website Pages
Only work on urgent pages like Homepage, About Us Page, Products or Service Page, Blog Page, and Contact Page ready. For instance, the timeline or company’s history can be posted later. Work on pages that produce sales first.
4. Reuse Content
If you have an old website head there and get content you can reuse in your new site. But, phase in more new content often.
5. Do It Yourself
DIY some of the tasks like writing content, finding relevant images, and test
Contributors to this article:
- Pat Walls, Founder @ Starter Story