Looking to write a new Outdoor & Hiking blog post but experiencing some writer's block?
Coming up with new blog post topics and content ideas can be time-consuming and daunting.
What's even more challenging is coming up with a great content idea - one that will bring you the right traffic and resonate across your audience.
Writing a great blog post can take hours, days, and sometimes even weeks, so it’s critical that you do your research to ensure your post will reach your intended audience.
In this post, we provide you with:
- Outdoor & Hiking blog post topics to write about
- Outdoor & Hiking blogging ideas
- Other Outdoor & Hiking content ideas
- Real-world examples of Outdoor & Hiking blogs and topics
- Proven tips and strategies on **how to find the right Outdoor & Hiking blog ideas.
Outdoor & Hiking Blog Post Topics & Categories
Here are a few of the most popular Outdoor & Hiking blog post categories and topics to write about:
- Trail Runners
- Day Hiking
- Overnight Hikes
- Solo Hiking
- Group Hiking
- Treasure Hunting
- Pilgrimage Hiking
- Mental Health Hikers
- Mountain Camping
- Rock Climbing
- Photographer Hikers
- Work-related Hikers
- Competition-related Hikers
- Horseback Riding
How-to-guide content style
How-to-guides are a great way to share insight and knowledge across your audience.
These guides are informative and teach your reader how to complete a given task using step-by-step instructions.
The more value and answers you bring to your reader, the more they are likely to return to your site and, eventually, turn into a customer. Here a few things to remember when writing your "how-to-guide:"
- Write directly to your reader with clear and concise instructions
- Identify the logical order of your instructions and use numbered lists
- Use headings and bold to identify key stages in your step-by-step guide
- Use photos and videos as much as possible to provide context to your reader
How-To-Guide Outdoor & Hiking Blog Post Ideas
- Step-by-step itinerary for hikers to wants to hike Mt. Fuji
- How to choose trekking poles
- How to pick the best walking trousers for hiking
- How to survive in the wilderness as a solo backpacker
- How to become an expert tour guide
- How to re-create responsibility as trails are re-open
- How to be a responsible hikers
- How to plan your eco-friendly trek adventure
- How to survive a wild animal attack
- How to build a fire the traditional way
- How to find yourself on a map
- How to be a responsible campers
- How to avoid food pain while hiking
- How to prepare for winter mountain hikes
- How to get your family on an outdoor adventure together
- How to stay injury-free during your trek
- How to make the most of your staycation
- How to survive the cold on your camping
- How to identify and treat insect bites
- How to pack your backpack
- How to prepare for an out-of-country travel
- How to safely wander in a foreign place
- How to join group hiking activities
- How to protect your skin from the sun
- How to get a local adventure
- How to calculate your overall trip length
List-based content style
Lists are a great way to consolidate information and provide your user with a quick and simple read.
For those that want a quick answer or don’t have time to read a long article, lists are a great way to quickly answer your searcher's query.
List content is great for driving traffic to your blog, and they are often quick to create.
List-Based Outdoor & Hiking Content Ideas
- 12 must-have in your hiking bag
- 8 overlooked camping items
- 9 safety tips for kids on their first hiking experience
- 8 reasons you should try hiking
- 12 safety tips for newbie hikers
- Top 20 mountains around the world that you should try hiking
- 20 best hiking daypacks you must try
- 4 things to consider when buying a backpacking gear
- 8 tips for hikers who are using trekking poles
- 9 best countries for hikers to visit
- 8 best hiking jackets for women
- 5 best sun shirts this year
- 12 epic hiking trails in Asia
- 9 best men's shoes for hiking
- 12 best outdoor adventures for kids
- 10 best outfits for day hiking
- 12 best fall hiking trips
- 15 self-care tips for hikers
- 12 budget-friendly tips for hikers
- 12 light backpacking foods for day hiking
- 8 things not to bring on a day hike trip
- 9 camping tips for beginners
- 20 adventures in Europe that will change your life
- 16 best activities to add to your solo outdoor adventure
- 8 recommended hiking gears online
- 10 exotic hiking destinations in the world
Other blog post styles
There are various other blog post styles you can use to create content.
When you combine a mix of different blog post styles into your content strategy, you create an engaging experience for your audience.
Here are some other blog post styles you should consider experimenting with:
- Video content
- Case studies
- Interviews or Q&A's
Other Outdoor & Hiking Blog Post Topic Ideas
- Why backpacking in the grand canyon is the greatest
- An interview with a professional hiker
- My top 8 trails or hikes and why
- Surviving the urban jungle
- Organizing a girls-only hiking adventure
- Camping or Glamping?
- What you need to know before hitting the mountain
- Hiking comfortably while raining
- The joy of reaching the top mountain
- Is mountain hiking worth it?
- Why do people love hiking?
- My urban hike experience
- How hiking helps your mental health
- Why autumn is the best time to ride your bike
- The basics of hiking for beginners
- Dealing with skin sensitivity as a hiker
- How climbing relief us from our stresses
- What to pack for a family day hike
- What hiking has taught me
- How is it to have an unplanned hiking adventure
- Why I never miss a wilderness sunrise
- On being resourceful but responsible hikers
- Planning a hiking trip during a pandemic
- Lightweight vs Ultralight backpacking
- Planning your next kid's hiking day trip
Guide: How To Find The Right Blog Post Topic & Content Ideas
Finding the right content type and topic for your blog is critical. The last thing you want is to spend hours and days writing a piece of content that doesn’t end up performing well.
We’ve outlined tips to help you find the right blog post topic
1. Find Blog Post Topics Using Google
Google search is a great (and free) tool for finding a content type and topic.
You can actually use google autocomplete to see what people are searching for:
2. Find Blog Post Ideas Through Competitors and Useful Websites
A great way to find content types is by seeing what your competitors with similar audiences are doing.
There are a few different ways you can do this:
- Manually going through different websites to see what others are writing about
- Use a tool like ahrefs to see top-performing websites and topics
3. Find Content Ideas Using Google Search Console
Google search console is a great and free way to see what your audience is searching for:
4. Make Sure You Can Perform Well For The Content
Just because your audience is searching for something, doesn’t always mean you can win for that content.
Consider looking at existing search results and other top-performing websites. Then, ask yourself a few questions:
- Are these top-performing sites massive businesses? If so, what would it take to rank for something like this?
- Is the existing content in the search results good quality?
- Are there ways that I can improve this content type? (ie. adding photos, videos, optimizing keywords, making the posts longer and more valuable to the reader, etc)
Finding a blog post topic and writing a great blog post involves research, basic SEO knowledge, and time.
It’s important to consider all of these factors prior to writing a blog post so you can make the most of your time and resources.
If you're looking for more tips and strategies to grow your business, check out our business ideas database here
Want to start your own business?
Hey! 👋I'm Pat Walls, the founder of Starter Story.
We interview successful business owners and share the stories behind their business. By sharing these stories, we want to help you get started.
Interested in starting your own business? Join Starter Story Premium to get the greatest companion to starting and growing your business:
- Connect + get advice from successful entrepreneurs
- Step by step guides on how to start and grow
- Exclusive and early access to the best case studies on the web
- And much more!
Did you know that brands using Klaviyo average a 95x ROI?
Email, SMS, and more — Klaviyo brings your marketing all together, fueling growth without burning through time and resources.
Deliver more relevant email and text messages — powered by your data. Klaviyo helps you turn one-time buyers into repeat customers with all the power of an enterprise solution and none of the complexity.