If you're looking to boost your email open rates and increase sales, your email subject line is the first (and most important) step in achieving those goals.
Did you know that 33% of email recipients open emails because of an engaging subject line?
That's why it's critical to craft a catchy email subject line that will get you the traffic and conversions you deserve.
We've put together a list of 412+ donation email subject lines (that work!).
Some are proven examples from other successful campaigns, and some are creative ideas to inspire you.
Creative Email Subject Line Ideas
- Relying on you
- Be a part of our special night!
- _____ hаs а Gift fоr Yоu
- one last thing
- Happy New Year’s from the Charleston Symphony
- When journalism is a crime
- _____: An Excellent Choice
- What’s your resolution?
- This Holiday, Remember the Trees
- Can you help X?
- Eugene was ready to give up
- Steve, A Great Way to End 2021
- Last Day for Free Shipping
- _____ December News
- Your last tax-deductible day
- Steve, there’s still time to take action on mega-dairies
- Fwd: simply put
- Re: Serena Williams’ story
- DEADLINE: Just 1 more day to order custom-printed cards
- How Sherlock Changed the World
- Your tax-deductible gift to MoMA
- Before midnight
- Your Gift Matched Dollar for Dollar
- So many ways to say THANK YOU, we couldn’t pick just one.
- You were there for me
- It’s Not Too Late to Help!
- ’tis the season for sea turtles
- Kona’s Happy Ending
- Today is the last day of the _____ Challenge: Thanks for your support!
- Steve: Make a difference before 2021 ends
- Your new title
- Help. My name is TODAY.
- A gentle but urgent nudge – please give today!
- Five Days Left to Make a Tax-Deductible Donation
- Grateful to be alive
- Beyond the 2017 headlines
- At this very moment
- Exclusive Gift Offer Enclosed
- simply put
- [MATCH] From New York to Nicaragua
- Last-minute holiday ideas
- On this #GivingTuesday and EVERY DAY
- Spread hope this holiday season
- A sleepless vigil
- Thank you! We met our goal.
- Think out of the box this holiday season
- Take one last action in 2021
- Newtown, we are with you.
- Less than 24 hours to double your gift
- Give _____ your support on #GivingTuesday
- Give Today. Win the Challenge.
- Your donation will change lives
- Merry Christmas from Breezy and all the Animals at the _____
- last minute
- See? We couldn’t have done it without you
- An unprecedented year
- _____’s Campaign Update: Still $3,000 from our matching gift goal
- Deadline: Midnight Tomorrow!
- Gifts that wow and change lives – inside
- Give a Little Kindness Before Midnight Tonight
- Don’t let 2021 end without being a part of this
- Cyber Monday ONLY: All Unwrapped gifts matched!
- You still have a few hours to make a 2021 gift to _____’s animals
- Final opportunity to double your impact!
- Happy Christmas from Team _____
- Call the Midwife Holiday Special
- Deadline: Only hours left
- URGENT: year-end deadline
- What Will You Do Before Midnight?
- How will you change the world today?
- Jane Goodall wants you to find your role to play…
- Make change possible
- Still Time to Save $800 on Your Taxes
- Important Deadline Reminder
- $1 Becomes $2 and Changes More Lives
- Last Chance
- He risked everything. Show him it was worth it.
- Five reasons why you should support _____
- Giving thanks this #GivingTuesday
- There is still time to make your 2021 donation!
- Jeremy, Join Us for the Celebration!
- Friend, please donate before midnight!
- Still looking for gift ideas for your family?
- Hurry! It’s Not Too Late
- An early Christmas gift
- Save the Date- Girls’ Night Out!
- Great gift ideas + free shipping!
- All I want is some truth
- Be a Fan with Publix and P&G
- Tax Deadline Just Days Away
- Act Now: Nature Needs You in South Carolina
- When soldiers rape, where do you turn?
- Change isn’t easy – but that doesn’t stop you
- Get in the Holiday Spirit, Little Macy, Very Special Music
- Act Now: Nature in South Carolina Needs You
- A few last minute ideas…
- You will want to support this. But you have less than 48 hours to do so
- Be the light
- What hunger feels like
- Abused For a Cruel Sport – Blossom’s Story
- Maximize your tax credit by the December 31 deadline
- EXPIRING: Your tax deduction & triple gift
- Help us improve more lives in 2014.
- full potential
- TODAY ONLY: Your gift is doubled & rewarded!
- It’s not too late to make a 2021 gift!
- What’s Your New Years Resolution?
- Reminder – _____ Online Event – Disaster Ignored – December 4th
- Donate today and your name could appear on KDKA-TV!
- Support Children’s Hospital on #GivingTuesday!
- With your help, we can reach thousands of families
- Give hope to grieving families on #GivingTuesday
- You Can Invest in Opportunity Today
- Giving Tuesday: Good deeds and good deals
- Early Investments Give Kids a Shot
- _____ Celebrates the Holidays
- Commit to lasting solutions. (Monthly match ending)
- Help birds!
- Steve, will you help Baby Yolee?
- Still Looking for the Perfect Gift?
- You make #GivingTuesday possible
- I know you’re not thinking of ignoring this message
- Last Chance: Stand Up for Forests Today
- 3x Match: We need your response, Jeremy.
- 48 hours left: Be the light
- Friend, multiply your impact
- 2 days left to give
- Just hours left to join our Year-End Drive
- Last-minute gift
- Our world’s one and only hope
- 39 hours
- LAST DAY: We need you
- Free shipping ends Monday
- NestWatch eNewsletter: An intimate look at nesting roadrunners, and why some birds go all out
- Give 100%
- Giving Tuesday
- Make Your Tax-Deductible Gift to Nature
- Join ______ for #GivingTuesday and have your gift doubled
- A very special video for you from the animals at the _____
- ‘Tis the season!
- You Make an Incredible Difference in South Carolina
- Great Places: A Message of Thanks
- Steven – Review Your 2021 Donations
- News from _____ – December 2021
- We’ve got the good news you need from Feb…
- Giving Tuesday: Make a Difference for Animals
- Give the gift of the ocean
- Bring warmth to a family in more ways than one – gift a coat or blanket today!
- Last day to triple your impact! Make your year-end gift today.
- There’s still time
- DEADLINE: don’t miss this chance to become a Champion
- NEEDED: Warm Hearts, Warm Homes
- Last Chance: Up to 40% off _____-Inspired Gifts
- Help us reach out!
- FREE 2-day shipping – ends at midnight.
- Re: 11:59 PM
- Today is the last day
- Free Holiday Shipping until December 16
- fwd: Protect them from the cold (GIFT MATCH)
- What’s Happening at _____!
- “FW: URGENT: Just hours remain”
- Free shipping. Plus, a free personalized greeting card.
- 8 Incredible Things You’ve Done This Year
- Race Ricky Bobby
- Let’s go!
- Make the holidays brighter for sick children — every gift doubled!
- Happy Holidays from _____
- Find the Perfect Gift on Cyber Monday
- 3 important facts
- Claim Your Calendar Before December 31st
- Give Hope from the Heart
- How can you help on Giving Tuesday?
- Three days only: All donations matched 2 to 1!
- Thank you and Happy New Year!
- Be a Hero Like Albert!
- Last Chance: Holiday Shipping Deadline
- Just $25 can save a life. And your gift doubles!
- Jeremy, make sure your gift is counted in 2017!
- DEADLINE: Make your tax-deductible gift by midnight
- Adopt-a-Bat for your Valentine TODAY (to get it by February 14)!
- Enter to win
- Your support can change lives
- FWD: We can’t do it WITHOUT YOU!
- Reminder: Go behind the scenes at _____
- Help cancer survivors like me
- A New Lease on Life
- Only 72 hours left to change baby George’s life…
- Hours left: but still short of our goal
- Consider your holiday shopping finished.
- Why I’m writing to you on a Saturday
- Holiday greetings from the sea
- Invest in One Family
- This Holiday, Deliver Safe Birth to Women
- Today is #GivingTuesday!
- You make our discoveries possible
- A simple, monthly act that changes lives
- Last chance to give the best. gift. ever.
- Midnight tonight
- Last chance!
- Shop meaningful gifts no one will want to return
- How are you celebrating the holidays?
- Last Chance to Give a Little Kindness
- LAST chance to triple your impact
- Help your local homeless shelter, arts programs, and animal rescue–all at the same time
- DEADLINE: One day left to double your 2017 year-end gift!
- We can’t do it WITHOUT YOU!
- Re: Take one last action in 2021
- Last chance: DOUBLE your dollars!
- Urgent: Ministry Partners Needed
- This is it
- Can we talk about X?
- New Ways to Give and DOUBLE your Donation
- No Justice for Braveheart After Kitten’s Killer to Serve No Jail Time
- Very Last Chance to Make a 2021 Tax-Deductible Gift
- Steve, the ocean needs our help
- With 48 Hours to go, stakes just got higher
- [tax deadline] 2x the hope for 2018
- Frankie Muniz has a Message for You!
- Double your impact and help save lives
- The first to respond
- Too many moms dying in your state
- FW: Help us improve more lives in 2014
- Sharing Our Husky Holiday Spirit
- Last Chance: Give by Midnight Tonight
- Happy Holidays!
- We were ready
- Six Days Left to Make a Tax-Deductible Donation
- Think outside the (gift) box
- Share a world of discovery
- Vote For Your #1 Nature Photo by Midnight
- They came back
- ACT QUICK: Homeless kids need this match
- Your tax-deductible donation
- Every hour counts
- An update on 2021 at _____
- Give Strength
- Make your gifts count in 2021
- Looking Ahead to 2018 and the Future of Immunotherapy
- next year
- Last Member Shopping Days Of The Year STARTS TODAY
- Jeremy, last chance to make your year-end gift!
- Urgent: What if _____ disappeared?
- Impress your Valentine with a gift that lasts longer than flowers AND changes lives!
- Give the Gift of Typhoon relief: Your chance to double your impact ends Monday
- Great holiday gifts from only $10
- Time is running out
- Puppy Left to Suffer with Broken Legs
- This week, help protect the ocean
- Still Time to Claim Your Tax Credit
- Two more days
- Invest in families on #GivingTuesday
- Member Previews Start Tomorrow
- Steve, your December newsletter: help _____ stop bear baiting for good
- In memory of his five-year-old sister…
- Imagine 2014
- Only hours left to give in 2021
- Our gift to you this holiday season
- Save the rainforest. Save tigers.
- Receive Monthly Developments Magazine
- GIFTS TRIPLED: A baby named Jeremy born in your community
- Thank you!
- Urgent! Final deadline
- Year-End Drive starts today — don’t miss out
- I have a great role for you
- It’s December 24 — is your shopping done?
- [TRIPLE MATCH]: Babies are counting on you
- Multiply your good – we’ll match your gift until Dec. 31
- You still have time to make a 2021 gift to Ottawa’s animals
- Your thoughts?
- Global update: What we’ve accomplished together in 2021
- Gifts that make a difference: double your impact
- There’s Still Time!
- Deadline extended! Custom-printed cards available until midnight
- 48 Hours Remain: Make a difference before 2014!
- After 1 Year, this Bundle of Joy Is Home
- Shop $50 or more, get a free membership!
- A special thank you from _____
- Steven — our last email
- Membership Happenings – December 2021
- Start the new year right
- Ricky Bobby would have never walked again
- No More Time – Help Us Now
- Off the Sidelines: Help Us Reach x2 as many athletes!
- Reporting: Red Cross Blood Shortage In National News
- Today is the day
- Driven to drug use in a ‘treatment’ center
- Help free another human rights hero
- The perfect gift? Search no further.
- We need you, more than you need us
- 2018 Annual Fund campaign: Make a difference
- Children flogged in Syrian secret prisons
- Dirty. Diseased. Deadly.
- Peace and Joy
- Make a Difference Before 2017 Ends
- Don’t wait: Unwrapped cards are going in the mail at midnight!
- Important News
- Lives are on the line
- We ? snow days
- Honor Your Loved Ones This Holiday Season
- Home for the Holidays
- The secret to our success
- for our kids
- A Power Couple
- We need you to continue the fight
- I hear sleighbells…
- The minimum wage isn’t cutting it.
- Putting clients first in India
- Hours left to meet our match deadline
- Today is the Day!
- Double your gift: help two animals with one donation
- The best gift
- Last chance to make your tax-deductible gift
- Tomorrow is the Big Day!
- Tomorrow is the Final Day to Give a Little Kindness
- Don’t stand by and let this happen to the ocean
- Act now to protect birds and biodiversity
- Almost out of time
- Happy New Year from the _____
- It’s Been an Awesome Year at _____ and _____
- [TRIPLE MATCH ALERT] 3 times the impact for wildlife
- _____ eNews: Read Our Review of the Top Binoculars of 2021
- Make your 2021 Year-End Gift Before MIDNIGHT
- Today Only: Free Shipping + 20% Member Savings
- Five days left – show your support now
- Annual _____ Membership Renewal
- Urgent: Steve, Just Hours Remain
- Celebrate the Holidays with the _____
- ONLY 3 Days Left!
- The last thing you do this year.
- One Day Left to Make a Tax Deductible Donation
- It’s a New Year – and we’re grateful for you!
- Don’t miss this opportunity!
- Drumroll please…
- Add your name to our holiday message for sick kids
- Jeremy, multiply your impact
- GBBC eNews: The 2014 Poster, Tricky Finches, and New Video
- Match Made! Year End Giving
- Can’t argue with the math
- 2017 is almost over. Make your gift.
- Double your impact
- Your search is over!
- Will you lift your voice in prayer?
- A worthy tradition
- There is still time for you to give the gift of love to an animal at the _____
- FINAL chance: 2017 is ending
- The Greatest Gift
- Only a few hours remain
- Double your year-end gift.
- The best New Year’s resolution you’ll make!
- They were in their pajamas
- Warm Holiday Wishes From _____
- Where did you spend your Thanksgiving?
- Today is your chance
- ? Last chance to buy Name a Roach pins, socks, and chocolates!
- re: falling behind
- The Look of Love
- Jeremy, Still Need a Valentine’s Gift?
- A gift that lasts decades? Find out how
- Click. Print. Give the perfect last minute gift.
- Urgent: Armed militias terrorize civilians in human rights hotspot
- Just one day left to make your tax-deductible gift
- Make a Gift, Change a Life
- Uphill battle
- Our Pledge To Serve America’s Military Families
- US Plea Bargains | Nelson Mandela
- Your kind, compassionate and generous spirit
- December e-newsletter: Our New Year’s Resolution!
- We couldn’t have done it without you
- Clinical Trial Gives Survivor Hope
- Truth for yesterday, today and tomorrow
- The gift of the season
- Surprise! 20% Member Savings + Free Shipping
- Philanthropy Matters December 2021
- Only 3 days left to give in the year
- You have 48 hours to give this gift:
- WATCH: 5 Reasons We’re Celebrating
- Snow storms, tropical rains, and you
- The good news: it only takes a minute to give a student a better future
- URGENT: 48 hours left to have your gift matched
- Urgent deadline. Match increased – all gifts doubled.
- A remarkable year
- Celebrate #GivingTuesday!
- Last call: Deadline’s just a few hours away
- Help _____ Deliver Hope to the Philippines
- Hours left: why your support counts
- Risk of severe hunger – please read
- An ocean of a deal for you!
- Steven — please read a personal appeal from _____’s founder
- Best Bang for the Buck for Birds
- Apollo set the standard. We follow his lead.
- URGENT: Just hours remain
- FINAL DAY: Triple your gift for moms and babies
- _____ Annual Gathering: Violence Prevention
- Five minutes can change lives
- The Race Is On to DOUBLE Your Gift!
- Go behind the scenes at _____
- Deadline Approaching
- Steve, you could save Jodi.
- [UPDATE] Tax bill
- Steve, campaign update: Wildlife crime takes centre stage at London’s City Hall
- 300 Champions – are you one?
- Last chance to support nonprofits nationwide with a single gift…
- Are you sitting this out?
- Celebrating the Season Together as One Family
- Be a Hero for Trees
- _____ Has A Gift For You
- One more name for your gift list
GUIDE: How To Write A Great Subject Line
As we mentioned above, crafting a catchy subject line is critical to the performance of your email campaign.
While just a few words may seem like a small piece of your overall message, this is the first impression your audience will have before they decide whether to open your email.
If your subject line isn't engaging or appealing enough, there's a chance it could get buried in your reader's inbox.
Let's go over the proven tips on how to craft a subject line that boosts engagement:
What makes a great subject line?
First, let's discuss the fundamentals of creating a great subject line:
- Spark interest and curiosity
- A clear and urgent call to action
- An offer/intriguing discount
- Personalization (this can be done by sending out different versions of emails to subscribers based on their preferences)
- Relevance - make sure your subject line covers the current trends and topics within your industry
5 Tips To Crafting a Great Subject Line
Now, let's dive into the specifics of how to create a great subject line for your next campaign:
1. Use a familiar sender name
Although this may seem obvious, it's a piece many marketers miss the ball on.
Your readers want to feel like your email is coming from a human and not a corporation or automated system.
One of the easiest and most effective ways to do this is by changing the sender's name to YOUR name or someone in the company that is well known.
Here's a great example of this from Marketing Examples
Avoid the "no-reply" sender name at all costs. This makes your email feel unfamiliar, unapproachable, and less personable.
2. Keep your subject short and to the point
If your subject line is too long, it will get cut off, which could impact your reader's chances of opening your email.
The rule of thumb (for both mobile and desktop) is to keep your subject line under 50 characters.
3. Add personal touches to your subject line
If you have access to information about your subscriber (ie. name, location, etc), you can use this to benefit your subject line and catch your readers attention.
It's important not to go overboard here, but adding even the simplest touch such as their name can build trust and rapport.
Here's a great example of a personalized email + offer I received from BarkBox with my dog's name in the subject line:
4. Avoid making any false promises
Your subject line makes a commitment to your reader, so it's important you don't stretch the truth just to simply get more opens and clicks.
In the grand scheme of things, making false promises will end up hurting your open rate as your readers will lose trust in you.
5. Give them a sneak peek of what's inside
Telling your subscriber what is inside helps with open and clicks.
For example, if you're providing your reader with a free guide or e-book, consider making your subject line something along the lines of:
"Your FREE marketing e-book awaits!"
If you want your email campaign to perform well, it all starts with your subject line.
Think about the emails you receive in your inbox and what makes you click vs what gets buried - odds are, the same habits go for your customer.
We hope you enjoyed our guide + list of 412+ donation email subject lines (that work!).
Want to start your own business?
Hey! 👋I'm Pat Walls, the founder of Starter Story.
We interview successful business owners and share the stories behind their business. By sharing these stories, we want to help you get started.
Interested in starting your own business? Join Starter Story Premium to get the greatest companion to starting and growing your business:
- Connect + get advice from successful entrepreneurs
- Step by step guides on how to start and grow
- Exclusive and early access to the best case studies on the web
- And much more!
Are you ready to boost your revenue?
Using Klaviyo will open up a massive, untapped sales channel and bring you closer to your customers!
Level up your email marketing with Klaviyo!