If you're looking to boost your email open rates and increase sales, your email subject line is the first (and most important) step in achieving those goals.
Did you know that 33% of email recipients open emails because of an engaging subject line?
That's why it's critical to craft a catchy email subject line that will get you the traffic and conversions you deserve.
We've put together a list of 106+ best award email subject lines .
Some are proven examples from other successful campaigns, and some are creative ideas to inspire you.
Creative Email Subject Line Ideas
- Do you want to win $100?
- Fabletics: Your Butt Will Look Great in These Workout Pants
- The Sooner You Know [blank] The Better
- WARNING Only 178 Tickets left...
- Private Invite
- Spooky discount 75% off Mastermind
- I'm closing it down!
- ... this failed miserably
- Take X minutes to get started with [blank]... you'll be happy you did!
- The Muse: We Like Being Used
- Why [impressive number] of People are [taking desired action]
- $100 or $100.00? (It makes a difference)
- [blank] May Be Causing You To Lose Out On [desired result]
- Baby Bump: Yes, I'm Pregnant. You Can Stop Staring At My Belly Now.
- Sublime Stitching: Bummed you missed out? Console yourself...
- Answered: Your Most Burning Questions About [blank]
- BloomThat: Better than a pumpkin spice latte!
- UrbanDaddy: You've Changed
- Seriously, get this book.
- [First name], Can You Help Us Connect With Your Friends in [city name]?
- My Gift to you...
- [Case Study] [Result of Case Study]
- See How Easily You Can [desirable result]
- [Newspaper/Magazine/Media Outlet] Just Named Us Company Of The Year
- Don't buy this from Amazon!
- [SWIPE] 10 Best Customer Survey Questions
- My new book! (and a big mistake)
- This is embarrassing but...
- The Biggest Lie In [your industry]
- Warby Parker: Pairs nicely with spreadsheets
- Thank You!
- Benefit Cosmetics: Do you like to watch?
- OpenTable: Licking your phone never tasted so good
- If You Don't [blank] Now, You'll Hate Yourself Later
- Refinery29: 10 bizarre money habits making Millennials richer
- Join me in congratulating...
- Use THIS to become an Authority (in ANY market)...
- How To Take The Headache Out Of [blank]
- Who Else Wants [desired result]?
- Move Loot: Seat Your Heart Out
- Why I blank
- Still doing it the old way?
- You're About to Miss Out
- What can you win today?
- Imagine [desired result] And Loving Every Minute Of It
- Why you shouldn't [do what I desire them to do]
- Influitive: So I'll pick you up at 7?
- We’re giving away a $50 credit. Find out how to win
- Do Not Try Another [blank] Until You [take desired action]
- I’m giving away 5 prizes today — don’t miss out!
- I was wrong...
- The PERFECT traffic platform?
- Travelocity: Need a day at the beach? Just scratch n' sniff your way to paradise...
- This critique gets uncomfortable at times
- Groupon: There are no deals in this email
- The 3-step Content Marketing plan
- 2016 will be a land grab (Get Yours)
- You could win this…seriously…
- Groupon: Deals That Make Us Proud (Unlike Our Nephew, Steve)
- Eater Boston: Where to Drink Beer Right Now (Sent at 6:45am on a Wednesday)
- [Mutual connection] recommended I get in touch.
- Giveaway! A cozy home care package
- How [impressive number] Got [desired result] in [time period]
- Your [blank] Doesn't Want You To Read This [blank]
- [Case Study] Numbers don't lie
- Gap: Mondays are suddenly AWESOME
- Survey Results (sort of...)
- Big Celebrity Announcement
- Call me crazy, but...
- Give Me [short time period] and I'll Give You [desired result]
- Now You Can Have [something desirable] Without [something challenging]
- Join [impressive number] of Your Peers that [take desired action]
- How to Build an Unstoppable Business (2nd Edition)
- If You Can [blank] You Can [desired result]
- MAJOR announcement! (big changes at [your company])
- Question about [recent trigger event].
- Uber: Since we can't all win the lottery...
- Bad News
- [blank] May Be Dangerous To [something precious]
- Big News! We're Launching Our New Product In 3 Days
- The YouTube Gold Mine
- How to get paid [Literally]
- Question about [a goal they have].
- I'm Done Talking to You About This
- Never Suffer From [undesired result] Again
- Don't buy [Product Name] until you read this
- I LOVE this little tool!
- I'm pulling the plug...
- Ideas for [thing that's important to them].
- Have you considered [thought / recommendation]?
- Read this before clicking "Send"
- The Quickest & Easiest Way To [desired result]
- Here's a Quick Way to [solve a problem]
- Paid traffic not converting? Download this...
- Grubhub: Last Day To See What This Mystery Email Is All About
- Your chance to win, inside!
- The Bold Italic: Just P100ho You: Where to Eat SF's Best Pho
- Thoughts about [title of their blog post].
- Frankly I'm a little surprised
- How Emily Faith got 76,974 YouTube views in 10 days...
- Overstock: Seriously. We'd like to thank you.
- My 2016 business plan...
- How [customer first name] Made Over $15,000 After Reading Our Book
- [First Name], quick question for you.
GUIDE: How To Write A Great Subject Line
As we mentioned above, crafting a catchy subject line is critical to the performance of your email campaign.
While just a few words may seem like a small piece of your overall message, this is the first impression your audience will have before they decide whether to open your email.
If your subject line isn't engaging or appealing enough, there's a chance it could get buried in your reader's inbox.
Let's go over the proven tips on how to craft a subject line that boosts engagement:
What makes a great subject line?
First, let's discuss the fundamentals of creating a great subject line:
- Spark interest and curiosity
- A clear and urgent call to action
- An offer/intriguing discount
- Personalization (this can be done by sending out different versions of emails to subscribers based on their preferences)
- Relevance - make sure your subject line covers the current trends and topics within your industry
5 Tips To Crafting a Great Subject Line
Now, let's dive into the specifics of how to create a great subject line for your next campaign:
1. Use a familiar sender name
Although this may seem obvious, it's a piece many marketers miss the ball on.
Your readers want to feel like your email is coming from a human and not a corporation or automated system.
One of the easiest and most effective ways to do this is by changing the sender's name to YOUR name or someone in the company that is well known.
Here's a great example of this from Marketing Examples
Avoid the "no-reply" sender name at all costs. This makes your email feel unfamiliar, unapproachable, and less personable.
2. Keep your subject short and to the point
If your subject line is too long, it will get cut off, which could impact your reader's chances of opening your email.
The rule of thumb (for both mobile and desktop) is to keep your subject line under 50 characters.
3. Add personal touches to your subject line
If you have access to information about your subscriber (ie. name, location, etc), you can use this to benefit your subject line and catch your readers attention.
It's important not to go overboard here, but adding even the simplest touch such as their name can build trust and rapport.
Here's a great example of a personalized email + offer I received from BarkBox with my dog's name in the subject line:
4. Avoid making any false promises
Your subject line makes a commitment to your reader, so it's important you don't stretch the truth just to simply get more opens and clicks.
In the grand scheme of things, making false promises will end up hurting your open rate as your readers will lose trust in you.
5. Give them a sneak peek of what's inside
Telling your subscriber what is inside helps with open and clicks.
For example, if you're providing your reader with a free guide or e-book, consider making your subject line something along the lines of:
"Your FREE marketing e-book awaits!"
If you want your email campaign to perform well, it all starts with your subject line.
Think about the emails you receive in your inbox and what makes you click vs what gets buried - odds are, the same habits go for your customer.
We hope you enjoyed our guide + list of 106+ best award email subject lines .
Discover the best strategies of successful business owners
Join our newsletter and receive our handcrafted recap with the best insights shared by founders in Starter Story each week.
Useful, convenient, and free:
Did you know that brands using Klaviyo average a 95x ROI?
Email, SMS, and more — Klaviyo brings your marketing all together, fueling growth without burning through time and resources.
Deliver more relevant email and text messages — powered by your data. Klaviyo helps you turn one-time buyers into repeat customers with all the power of an enterprise solution and none of the complexity.