At Starter Story, we find and catalogue business case studies from all over the internet, for you! This case study was not conducted by Starter Story, but it has been verified by our team. You can check out the full story here.
- Adrian Rosebrock founded PyImageSearch, a company that offered digital courses on visual image detection and image classification in Python.
- Adrian originally had a Ph.D. in computer science and worked a day job before becoming an entrepreneur.
- PyImageSearch was successful, and Adrian sold the business in 2021.
- This case study contains Adrian’s journey as an entrepreneur, including the decision to start blogging, launch a Kickstarter campaign, and hire employees.
How they got started
- PyImageSearch was founded to provide a basic product that could be created and sold within 30-60 days.
- The goal was to learn marketing and customer communication skills.
- Previous ventures had focused on scientific or healthcare markets and were unsuccessful.
- PyImageSearch focused on providing knowledge that would help customers professionally.
- The aim was to invest in personal and entrepreneurial development.
Success Story Of PyImageSearch
- In the early days of PyImageSearch, Adrian relied on social media and discussion groups like LinkedIn, Reddit, and Hacker News to promote the business.
- PyImageSearch was a blog aimed at explaining technical computer vision and artificial intelligence concepts through code and working projects rather than theory.
- Reddit and Hacker News were essential in attracting an audience interested in practical applications and demos of the code.
- PyImageSearch aimed to spark its audience’s imagination by showing projects’ code and output results.
- Adrian wrote the first PyImageSearch book in 10 days.
- He had a small email list of 100-200 people when he launched the book.
- He created a sales page and set a price of $19 for the book, not knowing if anyone would buy it.
- He sent an email to his list announcing the book and made a few sales on the first day.
- The experience of making sales through email was very rewarding for Adrian.
Hey! 👋 I'm Pat Walls, the founder of Starter Story.
Get our 5-minute email newsletter packed with business ideas and money-making opportunities, backed by real-life case studies.
- 4,818 founder case studies
- Access to our founder directory
- Live events, courses and recordings
- 8,628 business ideas
- $1M in software savings