When it comes to starting your resume writing service, you may find yourself in a place where you have to make some big decisions.
You may be asking yourself:
- What's the first step in establishing my business?
- How much will it cost to start my resume writing service?
- How do I price my resume writing service?
- How do I market my resume writing service?
- ... so much more!
We walk you through all of the steps; from idea → starting → launching → growing → running your resume writing service.
The purpose of this guide is to act as an outline for the steps you'll need to take to get your business running successfully!
💡 Introduction To Starting A Resume Writing Service
Is Starting A Resume Writing Service Right For You?
There are many factors to consider when starting a resume writing service.
We put together the main pros and cons for you here:
Pros of starting a resume writing service
You can put as much time into the business as you'd like. If you like the work and have some initial experience, you can start small and manage all aspects of the business on your own.
• Ability to start your business from home
It's not necessary to have a physical storefront or office space to get your business started. You can do everything from the comfort of your own home, at least in the beginning!
• Little startup costs required
The cost to start a resume writing service costs significantly less money than most businesses, ranging anywhere from 1,167 to 41,669.
• Meaningful business connections
You never know who you will meet or get to work with for your resume writing service. This could be the start of an incredible business opportunity!
• No overhead costs
To get your resume writing service started, there are no costs associated with overhead, storage, packaging, etc. This will save you a lot of time and money!
• You are your own boss!
With starting a resume writing service, you are the one to make decisions for almost all of the operations. Calling the shots can be empowering and liberating!
• Predictable income stream
With a resume writing service, your income stream is typically predictable based on the number of customers you have signed up. This makes financial planning and outlooks much more seamless!
• Higher likelihood of getting referrals
The resume writing service is all about referrals, which is a very effective way of attracting and retaining customers. It's critical that you have a great referral program in place that incentivizes your customers to tell their friends about your product.
• Simple business model
A resume writing service has the advantage of a simple business model, which makes launching and building the business more seamless.
• You get to do something you truly love
With starting a resume writing service, you get to put your energy into something you are truly passionate about! You'll find yourself devoting as much time and energy as possible into the business to make it successful.
• You can decide who you work with
Gone are the days of working in a toxic work environment with employees that you may not vibe with. As a small business owner, you get to decide who you work and surround yourself with.
• Express your opinions
With your resume writing service, you have the ability to get your point across and express your opinions to a large audience, which can be very empowering.
• You establish yourself as an expert
Starting a resume writing service helps to establish yourself as an expert in your niche. In return, people are more likely to trust you, refer you to friends/family, and support your business.
• You can work from anywhere!
Not only can you start your resume writing service from home, you can also run your business from anywhere in the world. This is the entrepreneur dream.
Cons of starting a resume writing service
• Low margins
The gross margins for your resume writing service are typically around 50%, which can make it more challenging to incur new expenses and maintain profitability.
• Time commitment
With starting a resume writing service, all responsibilities and duties will be in your hands. Although this is not necessarily a negative thing, it's important to understand that your work-life balance may be a bit unbalanced at times. This can place a strain on friends and family and add to the pressure of launching a new business.
• Difficult to build trust with your customer
With a resume writing service and any online business, there is little physical interaction, which means it can be a lot more difficult to establish trust and clout with your customers. You'll need to go the extra mile with your customer to grab their attention as soon as they reach your site + assure them that your brand is legit and trustworthy.
• Impatient customers
Your resume writing service may offer an engaging user experience for your customer, but it's important to note that customers expect a lot when it comes to your product, and are more likely to become impatient with you and your product if there are any errors or bugs.
• Difficult to scale
With a resume writing service, it can be challenging to find ways to scale. Check out this article that discusses scaling your business and the challenges that come with it.
• Learning Curve
When you start your own business, you no longer have upper management to provide you with a playbook for your roles and responsibilities. You should know the ins and outs of every aspect of your business, as every decision will come down to you.
• Answering Phones
The resume writing service is still considered a traditional business, which means answering phones is a big part of the job. If you or your team miss phone calls, you could be missing out on potential revenue opportunities. If you are unable to attend to your phone throughout the day, it would be in your best interest to hire a call center or an employee dedicated to this.
- Home: Cell Press (11.9K Alexa Ranking)
- DayJob.com (29.4K Alexa Ranking)
- WorkInTexas (34.9K Alexa Ranking)
- CanadianVisa.org (37.8K Alexa Ranking)
- Management Consulted (84.4K Alexa Ranking)
Let's take a look at the search trends for resume consultant over the last year:
How To Name Your Resume Writing Service
It's important to find a catchy name for your resume writing service so that you can stand out in your space.
Here are some general tips to consider when naming your resume writing service
- Avoid hard to spell names: you want something easy to remember and easy to spell for your customers
- Conduct a search to see if others in the space have the same name
- Try not to pick a name that limits growth opportunities for your business (ie. if you decide to expand into other product lines)
- As soon as you have an idea (or ideas) of a few names that you love, register the domain name(s) as soon as possible!
Why is naming your resume writing service so important?
The name of your business will forever play a role in:
- Your customers first impression
- Your businesses identity
- The power behind the type of customer your brand attracts
- If you're memorable or not
It's important to verify that the domain name is available for your resume writing service.
You can search domain availability here:
Find a domain starting at $0.88
powered by Namecheap
Although .com names are the most common and easiest to remember, there are other options if your .com domain name is not available. Depending on your audience, it may not matter as much as you think.
It's also important to thoroughly check if social media handles are available.
As soon as you resonate with a name (or names), secure the domain and SM handles as soon as possible to ensure they don't get taken.
Here's some inspiration for naming your resume writing service:
- The French check availability
- Excellent check availability
- ComprehensiveRecommence check availability
- ExtensiveCollective check availability
- CurrentSpot check availability
- Begin Collective check availability
- The Prepared Sum Up Trading Co check availability
- Survey Co check availability
- Take Up International check availability
- ForegoingPro check availability
- The Winning check availability
- Following Take Up Pro check availability
- Full Sum Up check availability
- Resumption Group check availability
- Short check availability
- Recommence International check availability
- The Date Sketch Co check availability
- The Comprehensive Restart Co check availability
- Outstanding&Company check availability
- PersonalSummarize check availability
- Complete check availability
- FullCollective check availability
- Online Sum Up Trading Co check availability
- Impressive check availability
- Summarize Trading Co check availability
- Resumption Designs check availability
- English Take Up Co check availability
- Scannable Sketch Chronicles check availability
- Succinct Curriculum Vitae Works check availability
- Rapid Restart check availability
- General Survey Group check availability
- Curriculum Vitae Trading Co check availability
- Outstanding Sum Up check availability
- HistoricalSummarize check availability
- Survey International check availability
- The Extensive Survey & Company check availability
- OutstandingPlace check availability
- Successful Curriculum Vitae Spot check availability
- AbovePlace check availability
- The Successful Restart Collective check availability
- The Unsolicited Sketch Works check availability
- Careful Restart Designs check availability
- AbstractWorks check availability
- Admirable&Company check availability
- ScannableTradingCo check availability
- English Sum Up Spot check availability
- Clear Survey Works check availability
- Survey Chronicles check availability
- Mail Start check availability
- Rapid Begin check availability
- InterestingDesigns check availability
- PowerfulGroup check availability
- Curriculum Vitae Spot check availability
- Following check availability
- The French Resumption Collective check availability
- Best Restart check availability
- ClearSpot check availability
- Sum Up International check availability
- AcademicSurvey check availability
- Looking Sketch & Company check availability
- The Exhaustive Survey Works check availability
- The Personal check availability
- CreativeSumUp check availability
- Effective Survey & Company check availability
- Outstanding Sum Up Chronicles check availability
- AboveBegin check availability
- ExhaustivePro check availability
- The Scannable Begin & Company check availability
- The Official Sketch Designs check availability
- The Preemptive check availability
- The Succinct Begin Works check availability
- The Historical Sketch Trading Co check availability
- Standard Recommence check availability
- Best Restart International check availability
- The Succinct Survey Pro check availability
- Creative Begin Co check availability
- LengthySummarize check availability
- The Scannable check availability
- Restart Chronicles check availability
- Recommence Trading Co check availability
- ShortBegin check availability
- The Impressive Sum Up Spot check availability
- EffectiveBegin check availability
- EnglishSurvey check availability
- Exhaustive Start check availability
- TypicalCo check availability
- Sum Up & Company check availability
- The Exhaustive check availability
- Rapid Sketch Spot check availability
- The Federal Begin Chronicles check availability
- Accurate Restart check availability
- Useful Survey check availability
- ForegoingBegin check availability
- Start Trading Co check availability
- The Excellent Sum Up Co check availability
- OfficialCollective check availability
- Careful Start International check availability
- Date Summarize Chronicles check availability
- BasedStart check availability
- ProfessionalBegin check availability
- FairBegin check availability
- GoodChronicles check availability
- MailGroup check availability
- The Provide check availability
- Short Sum Up Designs check availability
- The Online Take Up Group check availability
- Online Recommence Co check availability
- Outstanding Begin check availability
- AcademicTakeUp check availability
- Begin Group check availability
- Briefest Curriculum Vitae Co check availability
- AbstractCollective check availability
- Traditional&Company check availability
- QuickRecommence check availability
- The Personal Begin Spot check availability
- Survey Trading Co check availability
- The Rapid Start Spot check availability
- The Following check availability
- FairResumption check availability
- Unsolicited Curriculum Vitae Designs check availability
- Preemptive Sum Up Works check availability
- Winning Sum Up Chronicles check availability
- English Summarize International check availability
- Concise Resumption Designs check availability
- Online Recommence check availability
- Accurate Survey check availability
- Best Curriculum Vitae Designs check availability
- Professional Restart check availability
- CompleteSpot check availability
- Provide Curriculum Vitae check availability
- Avec Curriculum Vitae Designs check availability
- AcademicWorks check availability
- Typical Resumption Group check availability
- The Convenient Take Up Trading Co check availability
- ConvenientPlace check availability
- The Preemptive Sketch Group check availability
- ConciseInternational check availability
- Interesting Take Up Spot check availability
- Take Up Designs check availability
- FairSurvey check availability
- The Unsolicited Curriculum Vitae International check availability
- Provide Survey check availability
- CompleteSurvey check availability
- Start International check availability
- French Take Up Place check availability
- Official&Company check availability
- FunctionalSurvey check availability
- The Preemptive Sum Up Group check availability
- Federal Curriculum Vitae Collective check availability
- FederalSketch check availability
- Best Begin Trading Co check availability
- Functional Summarize Trading Co check availability
- Page Sum Up Works check availability
- Scannable Sum Up International check availability
- TypicalInternational check availability
- Accurate Recommence Chronicles check availability
- Written Summarize Spot check availability
- ShortRestart check availability
- Traditional Sum Up check availability
- Mail Sketch check availability
- Winning Begin Group check availability
- The Electronic check availability
- StandardGroup check availability
- The Scannable Curriculum Vitae Spot check availability
- Abstract Sketch International check availability
- The Effective Begin Works check availability
- The Admirable Recommence International check availability
- The Page Curriculum Vitae Collective check availability
- Succinct Summarize & Company check availability
- The Official Recommence Pro check availability
- ShortSpot check availability
- Academic Curriculum Vitae Pro check availability
- Detailed Begin Chronicles check availability
- ConciseSurvey check availability
- The Exhaustive Begin Co check availability
- Winning Curriculum Vitae check availability
- Accompanying Take Up Group check availability
- AbleChronicles check availability
- PowerfulSummarize check availability
- Best Summarize check availability
- Successful Curriculum Vitae check availability
- FederalTakeUp check availability
- FederalDesigns check availability
- Concise Start International check availability
- ShortPlace check availability
- DateCo check availability
- Written Curriculum Vitae check availability
- Curriculum Vitae Pro check availability
- Foregoing Recommence Spot check availability
- Start Chronicles check availability
- PerfectSummarize check availability
- Take Up Works check availability
- Detailed Begin check availability
- ShortResumption check availability
- LengthyInternational check availability
- The Professional Curriculum Vitae International check availability
- The Academic Take Up Works check availability
- Survey Group check availability
- Winning Resumption Collective check availability
- Lengthy Restart International check availability
- CreativeBegin check availability
- Historical Curriculum Vitae Co check availability
- WrittenTradingCo check availability
- Careful Summarize check availability
- Based Survey check availability
- Curriculum Vitae International check availability
- ExtensiveGroup check availability
- The Good check availability
- Avec Curriculum Vitae check availability
- Current Recommence Works check availability
- Summarize Place check availability
- The Quick Take Up Spot check availability
- BestInternational check availability
- Federal Survey Group check availability
- The Federal Survey & Company check availability
- The Historical Resumption Pro check availability
- OnlineStart check availability
- French Recommence Place check availability
- Current Start check availability
- The French Sketch & Company check availability
- Brief Start Works check availability
- Convenient Survey International check availability
- EffectiveSketch check availability
- Outstanding Sketch Co check availability
- Recommence Designs check availability
- The Winning Take Up Spot check availability
- Resumption Chronicles check availability
- Accompanying Begin International check availability
- Impressive Restart check availability
- BriefestGroup check availability
- Powerful Sketch Works check availability
- The Prepared Start Collective check availability
- The Short Sum Up Chronicles check availability
- The Current Sum Up Designs check availability
- Prepared Sum Up check availability
- TraditionalSketch check availability
- Avec Sum Up Spot check availability
- Impressive Restart Trading Co check availability
- The Powerful Recommence Chronicles check availability
- AttractivePlace check availability
- Exhaustive Take Up check availability
- ProfessionalSurvey check availability
- Historical Resumption check availability
- Begin International check availability
- PreemptiveDesigns check availability
- EffectiveRecommence check availability
- Chronological Start & Company check availability
- BriefSketch check availability
- StandardSketch check availability
- The Based Take Up Trading Co check availability
- WrittenCurriculumVitae check availability
- The Comprehensive Survey Trading Co check availability
- English Summarize Place check availability
- Short Sketch check availability
- Following Curriculum Vitae Spot check availability
- AccompanyingSketch check availability
- Accurate Summarize Spot check availability
- CriticalStart check availability
- ValuableSumUp check availability
- AdmirableTradingCo check availability
- The Able check availability
- ClearInternational check availability
- The Best Sketch Collective check availability
- Preemptive Resumption check availability
- Good Restart Collective check availability
- Resumption Collective check availability
- Impressive Begin check availability
- AccompanyingPro check availability
- Start Place check availability
- Begin Spot check availability
- Attractive Take Up Place check availability
- The Biographical Sum Up Collective check availability
- PreparedSpot check availability
- Complete Start International check availability
- GeneralDesigns check availability
- SuccessfulPro check availability
- Online Sketch check availability
- Attractive Recommence check availability
- Abstract Survey check availability
- StandardSumUp check availability
- The Detailed Summarize Pro check availability
- Outstanding Restart check availability
- Winning Summarize Group check availability
- Extensive Curriculum Vitae check availability
- Briefest Resumption Place check availability
- TraditionalRecommence check availability
- Submit Resumption Collective check availability
- Foregoing Sketch check availability
- Creative Take Up & Company check availability
- Submit Sketch Group check availability
- Admirable Begin Place check availability
- Perfect Recommence Pro check availability
- Good Curriculum Vitae Co check availability
- Concise Curriculum Vitae check availability
- CarefulStart check availability
- Able Start Trading Co check availability
- ScannableInternational check availability
- Chronological Summarize Co check availability
- ChronologicalCurriculumVitae check availability
- Biographical Take Up Designs check availability
- The Typical Curriculum Vitae International check availability
- Powerful Take Up Designs check availability
- Full Summarize check availability
- DateChronicles check availability
- MailTakeUp check availability
- The Historical Recommence Co check availability
- The Best Survey Designs check availability
- Briefest Take Up & Company check availability
- StandardCo check availability
- BriefestSpot check availability
- Outstanding Restart Co check availability
- Succinct Start Designs check availability
- TraditionalDesigns check availability
- Quick Start check availability
- PreemptiveStart check availability
- AbstractRestart check availability
- The Date Summarize Designs check availability
- OutstandingSumUp check availability
- ExhaustiveResumption check availability
- Abstract Start Spot check availability
- ComprehensiveTradingCo check availability
- The Full Sketch Collective check availability
- The Winning Start Spot check availability
- GoodSurvey check availability
- Detailed Recommence Collective check availability
- ConvenientSurvey check availability
- The Following Take Up & Company check availability
- The Historical Restart Works check availability
- BriefestRecommence check availability
- The Briefest Resumption International check availability
- The Federal Take Up Trading Co check availability
- Chronological Curriculum Vitae check availability
- Critical Resumption Designs check availability
- Interesting Sum Up Pro check availability
- The Careful Resumption Designs check availability
- Written Resumption check availability
- ShortCurriculumVitae check availability
- French Survey Chronicles check availability
- CriticalGroup check availability
- Prepared Resumption & Company check availability
- Creative Recommence check availability
- The Succinct Summarize Designs check availability
- AboveCo check availability
- Complete Survey & Company check availability
- Looking Start Designs check availability
- The Federal Start International check availability
- OutstandingSketch check availability
- The English Restart Pro check availability
- ScannableSurvey check availability
- Federal Resumption Chronicles check availability
- The Briefest Start Designs check availability
- Functional Sum Up check availability
- The Impressive Recommence Group check availability
- Accompanying Recommence Works check availability
- ExtensiveWorks check availability
- The Winning Sum Up Trading Co check availability
- Resumption Place check availability
- Online Restart Place check availability
- The Above Sketch International check availability
- Personal Begin Co check availability
- Good Begin check availability
- The Briefest Survey Co check availability
- FederalPro check availability
- PreemptiveSpot check availability
- The Submit Start Group check availability
- General Recommence check availability
- Looking Summarize Collective check availability
- SuccessfulRestart check availability
- The Successful Survey Place check availability
- Typical Restart Pro check availability
- Above Sketch Group check availability
- Effective Start Pro check availability
- The Accompanying Start Pro check availability
- SuccinctPlace check availability
- The Detailed check availability
- ExhaustiveTradingCo check availability
- Accurate Sum Up check availability
- The Perfect Restart International check availability
- Concise Begin International check availability
- Foregoing Summarize Pro check availability
- Prepared Take Up check availability
- General Start International check availability
- Attractive Resumption check availability
- BasedSurvey check availability
- Successful Sum Up check availability
- Comprehensive Restart check availability
- WinningTakeUp check availability
- Succinct Sketch Group check availability
- Best Curriculum Vitae check availability
- BriefestPlace check availability
- Written Sum Up & Company check availability
- SuccinctCo check availability
- BasedRestart check availability
- The Briefest check availability
- The Good Begin Pro check availability
- The Valuable Begin Group check availability
- SuccessfulResumption check availability
- Admirable Curriculum Vitae Chronicles check availability
- The Prepared Sketch & Company check availability
- Brief Summarize Spot check availability
- PageTakeUp check availability
- ExhaustiveCollective check availability
- Full Sum Up Trading Co check availability
- The Mail Sum Up International check availability
- Concise Survey Pro check availability
- Page Begin Works check availability
- HistoricalSpot check availability
- The Full check availability
- AdmirableSumUp check availability
- The Following Sum Up International check availability
- MailInternational check availability
- ConciseSpot check availability
- AttractiveDesigns check availability
- HistoricalRestart check availability
How To Create A Slogan For Your Resume Writing Service:
Slogans are a critical piece of your marketing and advertising strategy.
The role of your slogan is to help your customer understand the benefits of your product/service - so it's important to find a catchy and effective slogan name.
Often times, your slogan can even be more important than the name of your brand.
Here are 6 tips for creating a catchy slogan for your resume writing service:
1. Keep it short, simple and avoid difficult words
A great rule of thumb is that your slogan should be under 10 words. This will make it easy for your customer to understand and remember.
2. Tell what you do and focus on what makes you different
There are a few different ways you can incorporate what makes your business special in your slogan:
- Explain the target customer you are catering your services towards
- What problem do you solve?
- How do you make other people, clients, or your employer look good?
- Do you make people more successful? How?
3. Be consistent
Chances are, if you're coming up with a slogan, you may already have your business name, logo, mission, branding etc.
It's important to create a slogan that is consistent with all of the above.
4. Ensure the longevity of your slogan
Times are changing quickly, and so are businesses.
When coming up with your slogan, you may want to consider creating something that is timeless and won't just fade with new trends.
5. Consider your audience
When finding a catchy slogan name, you'll want to make sure that this resonates across your entire audience.
It's possible that your slogan could make complete sense to your audience in Europe, but may not resonate with your US audience.
6. Get feedback!
This is one of the easiest ways to know if your slogan will be perceived well, and a step that a lot of brands drop the ball on.
Ask friends, family, strangers, and most importantly, those that are considered to be in your target market.
Here's some inspiration for coming up with a slogan for your resume writing service:
A More Brilliant Resume
The Most Creative Resume
Creative Resume, Satisfaction Guaranteed
Your Amazing Resume
Simple Resume, Built For You
Experience Beyond Resume
A Tasteful Resume
More Simple Resume
Tasteful Sum Up, Luxurious Resumption
The Fresh Resume
Quality Resumption, Quality Sum Up
Quality Resume, Redefined
Fresh Resume, Built For You
Creative Take Up, Beyond Sum Up
Tasteful Resume, Our Responsibility
Creative Summarize, Brilliant Curriculum Vitae
Experience Elegant Resume
Get Your Simple Resume
Fight for Simple Resume
Luxurious Reopen, Confident Sum Up
The Consulting Business Model
When implementing a consulting business model, you have a number of approaches to choose from:
Here are a few of the most common consulting business models:
1. The Time-Based Model
This is one of the more traditional consulting business models - where your rate, terms, and scope of work are outlined at the very beginning of the project.
Typically, with this model you would choose a day rate or an hourly rate.
2. The Project-Based Model
With a project-based model, you and your client agree on the scope of work you will be performing for a set amount of money.
There is typically a contract in place which covers the deliverables and expectations from both parties.
3. The Retainer-Based Model
The retainer model involves providing ongoing service for your clients over a specific period of time.
You may not provide a specific deliverable for your client, but instead, a broad scope of work over a set period.
4. The Consulting-Firm Model
This model is becoming more and more popular. The consulting firm model involves hiring freelancers or employees to complete work for your clients on your behalf.
Typically, in this situation, you still manage the relationship with the client, but you delegate some or all of the work to your team.
Which model should you choose?
The best way to determine which business model you will choose is to research other entrepreneurs or agencies in your space that are offering the same or similar service.
This will allow you to identify your competition, set your pricing, and determine your target audience.
How To Find Work As A
Nowadays, finding work as a is not difficult.
There are various platforms that allow you to build your profile and by the touch of a button, become exposed to thousands of businesses looking for your work.
Here are the most popular freelance platforms out there:
Here's what you need to know about the two most popular freelancer platforms + examples of businesses who use them:
The largest freelancing website, where businesses connect with talented freelancers.
Businesses using Upwork:
Freelance services marketplace at affordable costs.
Businesses using Fiverr:
Do I Have To Pay To Become A Freelancer on Fiverr?
It's free to join Fiverr.
There is no subscription required or fees to list your services. Freelancers keep 80% of each transaction.
Do I Have To Pay To Become A Freelancer on Upwork?
Upwork charges freelancers a sliding fee based on the lifetime billings with a specific client.
Here's how this breaks down:
- 20% for the first $500 billed with the client
- 10% for lifetime billings with the client between $500.01 and $10,000
- 5% for lifetime billings with the client that exceed $10,000
Check out Upwork's website for all the details.
🎬 How To Start A Resume Writing Service
Startup Costs For Your Resume Writing Service
If you are planning to start a resume writing service, the costs are relatively low. This, of course, depends on if you decide to start the business with lean expenses or bringing in a large team and spending more money.
We’ve outlined two common scenarios for “pre-opening” costs of a resume writing service and outline the costs you should expect for each:
- The estimated minimum starting cost = $1,167
- The estimated maximum starting cost = $41,669
|Startup Expenses: Average expenses incurred when starting a resume writing service.||Min Startup Costs: You plan to execute on your own. You’re able to work from home with minimal costs.||Max Startup Costs: You have started with 1+ other team members.|
|Office Space Expenses|
|Rent: This refers to the office space you rent out for your business. To minimize costs, you may want to consider starting your business from home or renting an office in a coworking space.||$0||$2,000|
|Utility Costs (office space): This refers to the first month's utility bill for your office space. If you are not responsible for this bill, this would not apply to starting your resume writing service.||$0||$150|
|Office Supplies: Although these may seem like minor costs, things like your desks, chairs, pens, paper, filing cabinets do add up. To avoid these adding up too much, try to be as lean as possible and go paperless!||$25||$1,000|
|WiFi: Whether you work from home or in an office space, WiFi is an expense that's tough to avoid. Although the cost is minimal in most cases, it should be appropriately budgeted for each month!||$10||$100|
|Total Office Space Expenses||$35 (min)||$3,250 (max)|
|Employee & Freelancer Expenses|
|Payroll: This number depends on if you decide to pay yourself a salary upfront and how many employees you have on payroll. At first, many founders take on all responsibilities until the business is up and running. You can always hire down the road when you understand where you need help. Keep in mind, if you do plan to pay yourself, the average salary founders make is $50K.||$0||$4,000|
|IT Support: You may find yourself needing IT support when starting your business. It may not be possible (or necessary) for you to hire someone full-time, but hiring on a freelancer platform such as Upwork is a great way to save money and resources.||$0||$500|
|Other Employee Expenses: Aside from payroll and benefits, there are other costs associated with hiring employees. This includes the cost to advertise the job, the time it takes to interview candidates, and any potential turnover that may result from hiring the wrong candidate.||$0||$1,000|
|Employee Reward Ideas: It's important to recognize and reward employees - whether they hit their goals or are doing an exceptional job. This doesn't have to cost you a lot - simply taking them out to lunch, giving them a gift card or offering a pay-check bonus are all ways to recognize your employee! Here are 65 ways to reward your employees.||$0||$500|
|Total Employee & Freelancer Expenses||$0 (min)||$6,000 (max)|
|Equipment & Supply Expenses|
|Technology Office Equipment: This includes (but is not limited to) physical items such as: laptops, cameras, monitors, microphones, speakers, headsets. Technology needs grow as your company evolves, so to minimize costs, try and only purchase what is needed for you to run your business at the time.||$500||$5,000|
|Total Equipment & Supply Expenses||$500 (min)||$5,000 (max)|
|Website builder: The cost of your website will vary depending on which platform you choose. There are many website builders on the market, so it's important you choose the right one for your business and overall goals. To learn more about your options + how to build a great website, check out this article.||$15||$100|
|Web Designer: If you have the necessary skills to design your website, then it may not be necessary for you to hire someone. However, if you do decide to go that route, make sure you establish an understanding of upfront cost, design and what the ongoing costs will be to manage the site. Here is what to expect when hiring a web designer.||$0||$6,000|
|Register Your Domain: Once you decide the name of your business, you will need to make sure the URL is available and purchase the domain. You can check availability and register your domain here.||$12||$75|
|Email hosting: Email is a critical piece for running your business. Once you have your domain name, you will want to set up email accounts for each user on your team. The most common email hosts are GSuite (typically starting at $6+ per user, per month) or Microsoft Office (typically starting at $5+ per user, per month). The number of email accounts you set up will determine the monthly cost breakdown.||$5||$75|
|Server Hosting: To start a resume writing service, you will need to set up and manage a server. The cost for this is typically billed monthly and depends on the platform you choose (typically ranging anywhere from $0-$50/mo).||$0||$50|
|Website chat function: If customer service is a big piece of your business, you will want to consider implementing a chat bot on your website. Typically, there are different tiers of pricing and some businesses even offer freemium services. To find what chat software is best for your business, check out this guide.||$0||$75|
|Total Website Costs||$32 (min)||$6,375 (max)|
|Business Formation Fees|
|Small Business Insurance: Depending on which state you live in and the business you're operating, the costs and requirements for small business insurance vary. You can learn more here.||$500||$2,000|
|Permit and License Fees: Depending on your industry, there are certain licenses and permits you may need in order to comply with state, local, and federal regulations. Here is an article that goes over all the permits and licenses you may need for your resume writing service.||$50||$700|
|Trademarking: Filing trademark registration will protect your brand and prevent other businesses from copying your name or product. USPTO has several different types of trademarks, so the cost to apply can vary (typically anywhere from $400-$700).||$0||$700|
|Lawyer Fees: Although you may want to avoid attorney fees, it's important that your business (and you) are covered at all costs. This comes into play when creating founder agreements, setting up your business legal structure, and of course, any unforeseen circumstances that may happen when dealing with customers or other businesses.||$0||$1,500|
|Obtain a patent: Securing a patent can be a very valuable tool, but it's important that you are 100% sure this will be a smart business move for you, or if you may not be ready quite yet. A basic utility patent typically costs anywhere between $5,000 and $10,000 to file. Here is a great resource to walk you through the entire process.||$0||$10,000|
|Set up business: LLC & Corporations: The first step in setting up your business is deciding whether your business is an LLC, S Corp or C Corp. The cost for this depends on which state you form your business + which structure you decide on. We put together an article that goes over the 10 Steps To Setting Up A Business.||$50||$500|
|Total Business Formation Fees||$600 (min)||$15,400 (max)|
|Design Programs & Software: These programs might include the Adobe family of design tools: Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign and others. This is typically a monthly subscription ranging from $10-$50/mo.||$0||$50|
|Email marketing tool: If you plan to grow your email list and email marketing efforts, you may want to consider investing in an email marketing platform (ie. Klaviyo, MailChimp). We put together a detailed guide on all of the email marketing tools out there + the pricing models for each one here||$0||$100|
|Accounting & Invoicing Software: When starting your resume writing service, it's important to have an accounting system and process in place to manage financials, reporting, planning and tax preparation. Here are the 30 best accounting tools for small businesses.||$0||$50|
|CRM Software: CRM (customer relationship management) software is used to track your company’s interactions with clients and prospects. Although this is not a necessary tool to have for your resume writing service, implementing this in the beginning may set your business up for success and save you a lot of time later on. For a full list of best CRMs to use for your business, check out the full list here.||$0||$250|
|Project Management Software: You may want to consider using a project management and collaboration tool to organize your day-to-day. This can also be very beneficial if you have a larger team and want to keep track of everyones tasks and productivity. For a full list of project management tools, check out this full list here.||$0||$25|
|Internal Communication Tool: If you plan to have multiple members on your team, you may want to consider an instant message tool such as Slack or Telegram. The cost is usually billed per month (approx $5/user/month) or there are freemium versions available on many platforms.||$0||$20|
|Social Media Management Tools: If you plan to do social media marketing for your resume writing service, you should consider investing in a social media automation or publishing tool. This will save you time and allow you to track performance and engagement for your posts. Here is a list of 28 best social media tools for your small business.||$0||$50|
|Payroll Software: The main purpose of payroll software is to help you pay your team and track each of those payments (so that you don't have to do it manually). If you do not have any employees or have a very small team, payroll software may not be necessary at this stage. Here are the 11 best payroll tools for small businesses!||$0||$200|
|Online data storage: It's important to make sure the information for your resume writing service is stored and protected should something happen to your computer or hard drive. The cost for this is affordable and depends on how much data you need to store. To learn more about the different options and pricing on the market, check out this article.||$0||$299|
|Total Software Expenses||$0 (min)||$1,044 (max)|
|Advertising & Marketing Costs|
|Business Cards: A resume writing service involves quite a bit of customer interaction, whether that is attending tradeshows, sales calls or simply having face to face interaction with prospective clients. Business cards are a great way to stay front of mind with your clients.||$0||$50|
|Customer Research & Surveys: Many resume writing service's conduct industry and consumer research prior to starting their business. Often times, you need to pay for this data or hire a market research firm to help you in this process.||$0||$300|
|Networking Membership Fees: Joining local networking groups or your chamber of commerce is a traditional yet effective way to promote your resume writing service - but these fees add up! It's important to choose the right group(s) that align with your business and help with growth.||$0||$250|
|Direct Campaigns, Printing and Mailing: Although it may sound old-school, traditional marketing methods can be a cost-effective way to drive awareness for your brand. This includes flyers, postcards, sales letters, coupons, special offers, catalogs and brochures.||$0||$300|
|Influencer Marketing: Partnering with like-minded influencers is one of the most effective ways to grow your social media presence. Many small businesses simply gift a free item in exchange for an influencer post, or pay the influencer directly.||$0||$750|
|Press: If your business and story is unique enough, press and media attention may come to you, but odds are, you may need to do your own outreach and budget for this. We put together a guide here that discusses different press opportunities (both free and paid).||$0||$500|
|Google Ads: With Google Ads you have the ability to control how much you spend by simply setting a monthly budget cap. Additionally, with these ads you only pay for results, such as clicks to your website or phone calls! It's okay to start with a small budget at first and make changes accordingly if you see valuable returns.||$0||$300|
|Facebook & Instagram Ads: With Facebook and Instagram ads, you set your budget and pay for the actions you want (whether that be impressions, conversions, etc).You can learn more about pricing based on your impressions here.||$0||$350|
|Total Advertising & Marketing Costs||$0 (min)||$2,800 (max)|
|Training & Education Expenses|
|Consulting fees: You may find yourself needing to hire a consultant for different aspects of your resume writing service. The cost for this varies depending on the scope of work and length of contract.||$0||$1,000|
|Total Training & Education Expenses||$0 (min)||$1,000 (max)|
|Credit Card Processing Fees: If you process credit cards then you will need to deal with interchange fees - which is usually around 3% of total charges. These fees are often forgotten about and can hurt cash flow if not taken into account.||$0||$300|
|Time!: Time is money! When starting a business, think about how much time you are spending on certain tasks that could be delegated to another team member or automated. Additionally, spending too much time on tasks that aren't associated with revenue is a hidden cost of running a business.||$0||$500|
|Total Other Expenses||$0 (min)||$800 (max)|
|Total Starting Costs||$1,167 (min)||$41,669 (max)|
Raising Money For Your Resume Writing Service
Here are the most common ways to raise money for your resume writing service:
You may not need funding for your resume writing service.
In fact, many entrepreneurs take this approach when starting their own business, whether they have a little amount of cash or a substantial amount to get started.
So what exactly does the term "bootstrapping" mean?
This method essentially refers to self-funding your businesswithout external help or capital and reinvesting your earnings back into the business**
Bootstrapping means building your company from the ground up with your own, or your loved ones, personal savings and reinvesting all earnings back into the business
Here are some tips to consider when bootstrapping your business:
- Use your savings as your capital - one of the best ways to bootstrap your business is to collect your savings and use them as startup capital. This will also help you avoid using your personal or business credit cards when getting started.
- Determine exactly how much capital you need and how much capital you have to get your business off the ground. Generally, when bootstrapping your business, you may want to consider starting a business that involves less startup capital.
- Consider starting a business that will generate immediate returns so you can put money back into the business
- Be as lean as possible - this refers to cutting down expenses as much as possible, such as payroll, fancy software tools, unnecessary travel, renting an office, etc
- Consider outsourcing instead of hiring - in the beginning, you may not need to hire someone permanently to help run your business. It tends to be much less expensive to outsource work to a freelancer and hire someone permanently down the road!
Want to learn more about bootstrapping your business? Check out this article
VC funding is a traditional and long process, but an effective way to raise money for your business.
The term "VC funding" refers to venture capital firms investing in businesses in exchange for equity.
The VC's (venture capitalists) are an individual or small group investing in your business and typically require substantial ownership of the business, with the hope of seeing a return on their investment.
VC's are typically the best approach for businesses with high startup costs - where it would be very difficult to raise the money on your own or through a loan.
When deciding whether to take this approach, it's important that you have a few things in place first, and know what you're getting yourself into:
Determine if your business is ready
Having an idea is not enough to get VC funding.
Typically, VC's will check to make sure you have these things in place prior to closing any deal:
- An MVP (Minimal Viable Product)
- A founding team with all proper documents in place (articles of organization, business formation)
- A validated idea with actual customers buying your product/service
Get everything in place and build a pitch deck
A VC individual or firm will be expecting a fine-tuned presentation that gives an overview of your business.
Here's what you should consider including in your pitch deck:
- Management team, their previous experience + current roles in the business
- Market challenge and solution
- Company financials - including a P&L statement, cash flow statement, and projections
- Company progress
- Investment amount - how much do you need and why?
Research the right VC to fund your business
Research the types of VC investors out there and what niche they focus on.
Then, put together a list of target VC's you want to approach and your strategy around setting up meetings.
Be sure you have everything in place (as discussed above) before setting up any meeting!
Make sure the terms and expectations are right for your business
Committing to VC funding is a big deal and a decision that should not be made lightly.
Although the money and experience from VC's can help your business quickly grow, you are also giving away a stake in the company, and the money comes with strings attached.
Be sure you do your due diligence in finding the right investor - one that truly believes in the growth and success of your business.
What Skills Do I Need To Succeed For My Resume Writing Service?
With a resume writing service, there are several essential skills and characteristics that are important to identify prior to starting your business.
Let’s look at these skills in more detail so you can identify what you need to succeed in your day-to-day business operations:
Resarch and Writing Skills
Research and writing skills are critical when starting a resume writing service. Here's what this looks like:
- Basic computer & technology skills (Microsoft office or Google sheets/docs knowledge, data input, and proficiency in typing)
- Creativity & originality in your work and approach
- Great communication skills and ability to meet deadlines
- Understanding of SEO
Other skills that businesses find valuable include digital marketing skills, basic web design, and accounting abilities. Some employers may also look for a resume writing service that has a bachelor's degree or formal education.
Additionally, you may want to consider putting together a portfolio of past work and experience. This includes samples of writing/research pieces, from school projects to internship work to career experience.
Business Savvy Skills
When starting a resume writing service, there are a few fundamental business skills you will want to learn in order to be successful:
- Leadership and training skills: A great team starts with YOU. Make sure you have all company policies and training procedures in place prior to hiring your team
- Decisive and self-confident: Over the course of your career, you will need decisions that could impact your business significantly. It's important you are able to think clearly and rationally about these decisions.
- Ability to understand the financials: You don't need to be an accountant, but it is important that you are able to clearly understand and define metrics such as expenses, revenue, profit, margins, COGS, etc.
- Strategic Thinking: Setting clear goals and benchmarks, identifying opportunities, risks. Ability to effectively communicate these insights to your team.
These are a few of many business savvy skills you should have (or work on) when starting a resume writing service.
For a full list, check out this article here.
Coaching and leadership skills are critical to have when starting a resume writing service.
Here's what this looks like:
- Empathy & Emotional Intelligence: The ability to identify and manage the emotions/needs of your clients is a critical part of the job
- Motivation: Motivating and encouraging your clients to push themselves physically and often mentally. You will be holding them accountable!
- Patience: Results don't happen overnight - it's important both you and your client are able to remain calm and patient throughout the process
Advice For Starting A Resume Writing Service
We've interviewed thousands of successful founders at Starter Story and asked what advice they would give to entrepreneurs who are just getting started.
Here's the best advice we discovered for starting a resume writing service:
Mike McRitchie, founder of Critical Path Action ($2.5K/month):
Get started with something inexpensive that interests you. Then keep going as you try things and learn.
Read the full interview ➜
Alex Benjamin, founder of Recruiter Written ($2K/month):
It took about five weeks until we received our first client, but wound up booking $1600 in total that month.
Read the full interview ➜
Write a Business Plan
Writing a business plan from the start is critical for the success of your resume writing service.
Because this allows you to roadmap exactly what you do, what your overall structure will look like, and where you want to be in the future.
For many entrepreneurs, writing out the business plan helps validate their idea and decide whether or not they should move forward with starting the business.
You may want to consider expanding upon these sections in your business plan:
- Executive Summary: Brief outline of your product, the market, and growth opportunities
- Overviews and Objectives: Overview of your business, target customers, and what you need to run your business
- Products and Services: Specifics on the products and services your business will provide
- Market Opportunities: Analysis of customer demographics, buyer habits and if your product is in demand
- Marketing: Outline of your marketing plan and how you plan to differentiate yourself from other customers
- Competitive analysis: Analysis of your competition and the strengths and weaknesses therein
- Operations: Hierarchal structure of the company and what it will take to run the business on the day-to-day
- Leadership Team: Detailing roles and responsibilities of each manager based on their specific skill-set
- Financial Analysis Understanding of all expenses, operating budgets, and projections for the future.
Learn more about how to write a business plan here
Determine Which Business Bank Account You Need
There are hundreds of banks out there, and it can be overwhelming to find one that's right for your business.
Here are some factors you may want to consider:
- Location - Is your bank close enough that you can easily make deposits or get cash?
- Low Fees - Make sure to understand any and all fees associated with setting up and maintaining your bank account. Ask for a list - banks usually try to keep this hidden and in the fine print.
- Online Banking Services - Make sure you can easily navigate through your online portal and you have easy access to everything you need.
- Line of Credit - What do your options look like (even if you don't need this now, you may need this down the road).
- Every bank has something that differentiates them from the rest, so make sure whatever that is applied to your needs and values.
Check out this list of the 13 Best Banks for Small Business in 2020 and what makes them so unique.
Setting Up Your Resume Writing Service (Formation and Legal)
When it comes to setting up your business, you may find yourself in a place where you have to make some financial and legal decisions.
The first thing you'll want to decide on is whether you want to be an LLC, S-Corp, or C-Corp.
These three options are found to be the most common when starting a small business, and all serve to protect your personal assets and also provide you with certain tax benefits.
- LLC: All income and expenses from the business are reported on the LLC personal income tax return.
- S corp: Owners pay themselves salaries + receive dividends from profits.
- C Corp: C Corps are separately taxable entities that file a corporate tax return (Form 1120). No income tax is paid at the corporate level and any tax due is paid at the owners individual expense.
Depending on where you're conducting business, you'll also want to consider securing the proper permits, licenses and liability insurance.
Need to start an LLC? Create an LLC in minutes with ZenBusiness.
How Do I Pay Myself As A Small Business Owner?
Most entrepreneurs start a business to do something they love- but at the end of the day, you still have bills to pay (maybe now more than ever).
But it's important to strike the right balance - if you pay yourself too much, you could be putting your business at risk.
There are two common ways to pay yourself as a business owner:
1. Owner's Draw
Many entrepreneurs pay themselves through an owner's draw. This means that you are technically sean as "self-employed" through the eyes of the IRS and are not paid through regular wages.
At the point that you collect money from the draw, taxes typically are not taken out - so make sure you are prepared to pay these taxes once you file your individual return.
As an owner who takes a draw, you can legally take out as much as you want from your equity.
This type of compensation is suited for Sole props, LLCs, and partnerships. If you’re an S corp, you can pay yourself through both a salary and draw if you choose.
If you decide to pay yourself a salary, you will receive a set and recurring amount. This will be taxed by the federal government and the state you reside in.
The reality is that it can be really complicated to set your own salary, so we have some tips for you to consider:
- Take out a reasonable amount that allows you to live comfortably but also sets your business up for success
- Consider the number of hours you are working weekly + the type of duties you are performing.
- Set your salary based on your industry-standard, location, and profits (or projected profits)
- Look at your P&L statement: Deduct your own pay from that amount. This is important so you can first tackle important business expenses, and then pay yourself from the amount leftover.
- Pick a payroll schedule (and stick to it)! In the US, it's most common to pay yourself and employees twice a month.
To learn more about how to pay yourself and what is a reasonable amount, check out this article.
How To Price Your Resume Consultant
One of the most challenging and critical pieces to starting your resume writing service is determining how much to charge for your resume consultant.
When businesses under-price their product, this can be extremely detrimental to their bottom line and reputation.
Often times, businesses under-price their products to drive demand and volume, but that last thing you want is for customers to view your product/service as "cheap." Additionally, this can have a big impact on the type of customer you attract, which can be difficult to recover from.
On the other hand, when businesses over-price, this tends to be just as damaging to the business.
When customers buy, it's likely that they will explore the internet and look at other competitors to ensure they're getting the best value + deal. This is why it's so important that you research your competition and understand where you land in the marketplace.
Here are some factors to consider when pricing your product:
Understand your customer
It's important that out of the gates, you identify the type of customer you want to attract and how much they're willing to pay for your service. One great way to do this is by surveying your customers. Here are some important items you'll want to takeaway:
- Customer demographic: Age, gender, location, etc.
- Buying habits of your customer: What they buy + when they buy
- Level of price sensitivity with your customer
All of these segments will help you identify the type of customer you're attracting and how to price your product accordingly.
Understand your costs
When pricing your resume consultant, it's critical that you first identify all of your costs and consequently mark up your resume consultant so you can factor in a profit.
The actual cost of your resume consultant may include things like:
- The actual cost to make the product (ie. raw materials, supplies, manufacturer).
- Shipping + overhead fees
- Operating costs to run your business
You may want to consider creating a spreadsheet with every single expense involved in operating/owning your business. This will give you an idea as to what you need to generate in order to at the very least, break-even and will help you price your products to factor in a profit.
Create revenue goals
When determining the price of your resume consultant, you'll want to create goals for revenue + how much profit you want your resume writing service to make.
This process is simpler than you may think:
- Think about your breakeven cost (by completing the above step).
- Create a revenue goal based on your break-even cost
- Evaluate the # of items you plan to sell in a given period (make sure this is a realistic number)
- Divide your revenue goal by the number of items you plan to sell
This figure will help determine your estimated price per product in order to meet your revenue goals.
Evaluate your competition
The last piece in determining how to price your resume consultant is by simply looking at your competition.
The best way to do this is by finding like-minded businesses that offer product(s) with similar perceived value. Then, you can compare prices of the different businesses and determine where your resume consultant fits best in the marketplace.
All of these factors play an equal part in pricing your resume consultant, so it's important you evaluate each one individually to come up with an accurate price that will help optimize your business from the start.
Rate Calculator: How to Calculate The Price For Your Resume Consultant Services
Our calculator is designed to be simple and easy to use.
The goal is to help you set realistic expectations and understand the hourly rate you should be charging to make your desired profit.
Please input below:
Identify Target Customer
A very critical piece in building resume writing service is to identify your ideal target customer.
- Develop a niche and create a consistent brand that reflects your target customer.
- The colors, logo, content, and overall website should resonate with your target customer and should draw them in by helping them solve their specific "need".
Lydia Lee, founder of Screw The Cubicle identifies exactly the type of customer her services are curated for:
My core work focuses on helping corporate professionals transition their expertise and skills into an independent career where they choose a pathway like freelancing, consulting, and solopreneurship to earn a great living.
From self-guided courses like WorkReinvented to my 90 Day Launch program, the mission is to support passionate individuals to build the life they want with a business they can love.
Building an MVP (Minimal Viable Product)
When building a resume writing service, it's critical that you first validate your product/service rather than rushing to build it right away.
This could save you months, if not years of building the wrong product/service.
If you're hoping to decrease any sort of risk that comes with launching your resume writing service, designing a prototype can be a great way to de-risk your situation.
The point of your resume consultant prototype is that it doesn't have to be perfect.
In the beginning stages, it doesn't matter how rough V1 of your prototype is, it's more important to just get started and you can always refine from there based on feedback from your network and most importantly your customers.
How To Build A MVP
Here are several different ways of building a prototype/MVP:
- Start by building a landing page to see if customers actually need your product and if they are willing to pay for it
- Build a very basic version of your idea and ask for immediate feedback from potential customers
- Present a problem and solution via Facebook/Instagram Ads and see what the response is like
Austin Belcak, founder of Cultivated Culture dives deep into the process of designing and prototyping their product:
I’d tried launching a bunch of products (which all failed) before my flagship course finally took off. The big difference was taking the time to validate up front.
I wanted to make sure people would buy what I was selling before investing time to create it.
I started by sending an email to my audience asking if anyone would be interested in beta testing a premium resource around job searching. That was my first point of validation, I wanted to see if people were even interested in the general idea.
After reaching a critical mass of replies (I aimed for 50), I used Google docs to create an outline of the course. It walked through:
- Why it’s so hard to land jobs today (immediately addressing a pain point)
- My story (qualifying myself)
- Introduction of the course - what it is and what to expect
- A module-by-module breakdown of what’s included-
- Testimonials from people in the audience who had seen success
- Pricing (with a 50% discount off the future “retail price” with a working payment link)
I also created a survey that asked people:
- If they were interested in buying the course (yes/no)
- What they loved about the course
- What was missing from the course
- What questions they had about the course
- Then I replied to each interested person and asked them to read through the course outline and then fill out the survey.
Of the responses, I singled out people who said they would buy the course and encouraged them to pre-order using the payment link (offering a 50% discount and early beta access).
I read a lot about tiered pricing leading up to the course launch so I planned to launch with three sticker prices of $47, $147, $297. The first price was for a version of the course that allowed access to 2 out of the five modules. The second was for the full course, and the third was for the course along with a 30-minute coaching session.
Given the pre-order beta was an “MVP,” I only mentioned the middle price so it came in around $73 for beta users.
My goal was to get a 10%+ to sell-through rate. I had 50 people “interested” so I needed at least 5 buyers. I knew that if I could get 10% of people to put money down for something that didn’t exist yet, that was a good sign.
I ended up getting 20 pre-orders which validated the product and I spent the next two months building it!
🚀 How To Launch Your Resume Writing Service
Build A Website
Building a website is imperative when launching your business, and with the right tools in place, this can be a simple task to check off the list (without having to hire someone).
- Pick a domain name that's easy to remember and easy to type
- Choose a Web Hosting Plan (ie. Shopify, Squarespace)
- Make sure you choose the right theme and design
- Implement the proper page structure (ie. about page, contact page, pricing etc)
To learn more about how to build a stellar website with little stress, we give you all the details on this step-by-step guide.
Best Website Platforms To Use For Your Resume Writing Service:
There are a variety of websites platforms out there, and it's important to choose the right one that will set you up for success.
Here's everything you need to know about the two most common platforms for your resume writing service:
Free and open-source content management system based on PHP and MySQL.
Free to use/open source but you will need to pay for the hosting.
Businesses using WordPress:
The all-in-one solution for anyone looking to create a beautiful website.
- Personal Plan: $12/month
- Business Plan: $18/month
- Basic: $26/month
Businesses using Squarespace:
Once you have chosen the domain, web hosting, and platform, it's time to get started with the design phase.
Themes are a great way to produce the fundamental style and identity of your website - this includes everything from your font design to your blog post styles.
One of the best ways to get started is to simply explore the various themes (free or paid depending on what you're looking for) and test them on your site.
If web-design really isn't in the cards for you, you may want to consider outsourcing a web designer to help bring your vision and brand to life.
Traditional Launch Strategies For Your Resume Writing Service:
There are various different ways you can launch your resume writing service successfully.
Here are a few different strategies to get customers excited about your resume writing service:
- Set up a Facebook page for your business. This is a great way to establish an online presence
- Host an event in a fun location with drinks & food. This is a great way to get exposure in the local community.
- Get Press! Pitch your story to the media and you may just land in an amazing publication
- Live sales to get customers excited
- Send a hand-written letter in the mail with a discount on your services to the local community/neighborhoods.
Alex Benjamin, founder of Recruiter Written dives deep into the process of launching the business:
The beautiful thing about setting up a service-based company was that I knew what services to offer. Since I knew the “what” the next step was to focus on the “how.” I knew I needed to create a process that would be repeatable, customizable, and be able to support all industries and positions. Over a couple of weeks, I created numerous workflows, client interview forms, resume worksheets, pricing charts, questionnaires, and other supporting documents. Resume templates were created and categorized as were checklists to get ready for launch.
It took about five weeks until we received our first client, but wound up booking $1600 in total that month.
I am assuming that if you are reading this, we share something in common: we like to do our research. A few books that I found valuable in the startup process include, Side Hustle: From Idea to Income in 27 Days and The $100 Startup: Reinvent the Way You Make a Living, Do What You Love, and Create a New Future by Chris Guillebeau as well as The 4-Hour Workweek: Escape 9-5, Live Anywhere, and Join the New Rich by Timothy Ferris.
To create Recruiter Written, the shortlist was indeed short. It included setting up the company as a legal entity, creating a website, collecting payments, and marketing. In short, the process was easy and cheap, costing around $600. The initial investment included setting up all of the legal stuff (setting up an LLC was extremely easy and I didn’t find the need to hire a lawyer or accountant), reserving a P.O. Box, marketing materials, and creating the websites (including the domain, hosting, and email).
The most complicated part of the process, by far, was setting up the website. In all fairness, this is the first website that I have ever created from scratch. I have helped develop website skeletons and content in the past, but nothing from a programming standpoint nor anything from conception through launch. The most time-consuming task was content creation. I wanted to create a website that was aesthetically pleasing, easy to navigate and offered readers value outside of booking our services (including resume tips and our blog).
Once we launched, the next hurdle was funneling visitors to the new site. A DIY lesson in search engine optimization (SEO) helped quite a bit, but we also needed to start banging down doors and directing more traffic. After all, we were asking customers to book a $200 service without knowing ANYTHING about us. Since I was trying to get the business up and running on a minimal budget, rather than using Google AdWords I decided to try free marketing methods. I utilized a mixture of my LinkedIn network (which at the time was around 16,000 connections and is now getting close to the maximum of 30,000) and free mass mailing platforms (including Mailjet and a trial of Mail Chimp). To boost our backlinks, I set up our social media pages, responded to Reddit posts, and, most importantly, was a regular responder on HARO (Help a Reporter Out).
To test the process, I had helped out a friend who was unemployed at the time, creating his resume for free in return for his testimonial. I’m sure it was a coincidence, but after being out of work for over six months, he wound up getting the first position he applied to while using the new and improved resume. I give him all the credit but hope the resume helped at least a little bit.
It took about five weeks until we received our first client, but wound up booking $1600 in total that month.
🌱 How To Grow Your Resume Writing Service
Social Media Advertising
Social Media Advertising is one of the leading ways to get the word out when it comes to resume writing service.
There are various different Social Media platforms available to you. Some may be more critical for your marketing efforts than others, however, it's important to have an understanding of what's out there and available to you.
Let's talk about a few of the main platforms and what makes them unique:
- Facebook Advertising - more than 2 billion monthly users. Facebook is the best for lead generation + capturing email addresses for e-commerce businesses.
- Instagram Advertising - approximately 500 million monthly users and has a higher audience engagement rate than any other platform. Instagram ads are best for linking to a product page or landing page and reaches the 18-29 age group most effectively.
- Twitter Advertising- Small businesses typically use twitter ads to drive brand awareness, but the platform is meant more for organic engagement (and is not as heavily used for paid advertising)
- Pinterest Advertising - 175 million monthly users and most effectively reaches the female audience. Pinterest is great for promoting products without "promoted". The promoted pins have a way of blending right in.
- LinkedIn Advertising - 227 million monthly users and is geared towards the B2B market and generates the highest quality leads. Great platform for recruiters, high-end products and services that will help businesses
It's important to first define your goal/objective so that you don't waste time and money into the wrong platform:
Here are some different questions to ask yourself as it relates to your goals:
- Do I want to simply drive brand awareness?
- Do I want to drive users to my website to gather information?
- Do I want to increase sales and get my customer to take action?
From there, choose the platform that targets your audience best and start experimenting!
Learn more about social media advertising ➜ here.
Founder Andy Hayes talks about mastering FB ads and the pixel:
The biggest bang for your buck will likely be mastering Facebook and it’s platform - which we all know is pay for play, so you’ll have to come up with a small amount of budget to start for marketing.
We’ve spent countless hours (and paid numerous coaches) before we cracked the code that works for us on Facebook, but it is working really well for us now.
Some of the most important things to know when it comes to FB Ads:
- Start with retargeting (that’s showing ads to people who already know you but did not purchase). Master this - and start building information on your Facebook Pixel - before you do anything else
- Once you have that down, try working with the 1% “Lookalike” audience to prospect for new customers. This may take awhile because your pixel audience is small, so try layering on interests - 1% Lookalike and your largest competitor, for example. Don’t use interest-only targeting until you master this.
- Great photography and videography is key, as is smart copy. Research what’s out there in your industry and constantly test - what works for one company may not work for other people.
- Make sure you have good offers. For example, we have a $5 trial for our subscription, which converts affordably - if we promoted our subscription with the standard $30 front charge, it wouldn’t be as cost-effective.
Grow Your Email List
The more engaged list of emails, the more engaged customers, which ultimately leads to more sales.
One of the best ways to start growing your list is by providing your customer with something free (or discounted) in return.
This could also be anything from:
- Fascinating case study
- Video series
- Free week of the product
- Discount on the product
Learn more about how to grow your email list and improve email marketing ➜ here.
Dylan Jacob, founder of Brumate states their email collection tactic that is proven to work:
We use Spin-a-Sale for this (you spin a wheel for a discount code in exchange for subscribing to our email list). This has been the best email-collecting tool we have found because the customer truly feels like they won a prize rather than just a coupon code.
Even if a customer doesn’t convert right away, if we have their email we have a 19% chance of converting them into a future customer whether that is through future promotions, new releases, or simply just sending an email at the right time for a purchase to finally make sense for them.
We also have a return customer rate of over 14%, so one out of every 6 people we convert will end up buying from us again with an average order value of over $60.00.
Add an exit-intent popup to your online store
A great way to double, or even triple, your email opt-in rate and to grow your list is to add an exit-intent popup to your site, and offering a discount or content upgrade for subscribers.
Here's an example of what that might look like:
One thing that I spent years NOT doing, that I now kick myself about, is adding an "exit intent pop-up" to our site, which lets people enter a sweepstakes to win a Xero Shoes gift certificate.
That one idea has added over 100,000 subscribers to our email list, which is one of our most effective marketing channels.
Improve Your Email Marketing
Different types of emails
Here are the most common types of email campaigns you can send to your customers and their benefits:
- Welcome emails - the perfect way to provide information from the start with a clear CTA. Make sure to tell your customer everything they need to know about your product or service.
- Newsletters - a great way to give customers updates or send out your latest content
- Product launch emails - the quickest (and easiest) way to increase sales is by selling to current customers. Make sure they're the first on the list to know about your new product
- Promotional emails - promote discounts, deals coupons etc. Try and make this feel exclusive and for a limited time only
- Abandoned cart emails - give your customers a reason to complete their purchase!
Here's a great resource for finding curated email designs, for all types of email campaigns!
Abandonded Cart Flow
The abandoned cart workflow is one of the most effective strategies for turning your lead into a customer, and a powerful tool to have if you're an e-commerce business.
Think about all the times that you went on a shopping frenzy only to add items to your cart and then either forget or realize nows not the right time to pull the trigger.
Then, minutes later you receive an email saying "Hurry up! Your cart is waiting - and we want to provide you with 20% off your order."
Maybe that's the special touch (and discount) you needed to pull that trigger.
Implementing this workflow can automatically trigger this for your business every time a customer abandons their cart.
Here's a great example of an abandoned cart email from Brooklinen:
Things they do well:
- Showcase 5-star reviews from other customers
- Offer a small discount + free shipping
- Great design + clear call to actions!
Improve your SEO
SEO is not just about driving traffic to your site, it's about driving the RIGHT traffic to your site, and ultimately, converting leads into customers.
One of the most important aspects of SEO is understanding what your customers are searching for, otherwise known as "keyword research."
Here are some tools that can help you choose the right keywords for your resume writing service.
- Google Ads Keyword Planner invaluable for discovering search trends.
- Google Search Console is very helpful once your website is up as it shows you what words/phrases are generating traffic.
- Ahrefs and SEMRush are paid tools that allow you to look at results of your competitor's website.
Publish Great Content
Finding keywords is an important piece of the puzzle, but Google also ranks your site based on the actual content you produce, as this is what your customers are reading and engaging with.
There are various different "forms" of content that you may want to consider diversifying on your sites, such as blog posts, articles, studies, and videos.
So let's discuss what google considers "good content:"
- Length - This will vary depending on the page, however, generally having a sufficient amount of content helps search engines recognize that your site is a good source for a specific topic
- Engagement - The longer people stay on your website to read your content, the higher Google will rank your website. It's important to have informative and "thick" content that keeps people reading
- Avoid Duplicating Content - Google will recognize this and may consider your content to have low value
- Ensure pages load quickly - This will also help with engagement and time spent on your website
- Shareability - Create content that people want to share, and is easy for them to share, especially to their social media accounts (ie. "click to tweet" is a great example of this).
Another element of creating good content is creating consistent content.
If (and hopefully you are) publishing content frequently, it's important to stick to a schedule - this helps build brand trust and easy user experience with your customers.
Planning out your content with a content calendar is key to staying consistent.
Here are a few great content calendar tools that can help you:
Backlinks are an important piece to SEO, as they allow for other websites to link to your content.
Search engines recognize that other sites are essentially "verifying" your content and essentially rank you higher because of this.
Of course, some links are more valuable than others and can affect your site in different ways.
For example, if a highly valuable and credible site like the New York Times links to a page on your website, this could be remarkable from an SEO perspective.
Aside from organically getting mentioned from other sites, there are other ways that you can increase and earn backlinks:
- Create infographics with relevant data that people want to share
- Promote your content on different sites/look into "guest blogging"
- Contact influencers/journalists/bloggers and ask them to mention you!
- Write testimonials for other sites in exchange for a backlink
- Leverage existing business relationships
Build A Blog
One of the most effective ways to build brand awareness and grow your business is through consistently blogging.
We've outlined some useful tips for you to consider when creating content:
Consistency and Quantity
Quality is important, but it should be the standard for any content you publish.
What’s more important is consistency and quantity.
Consistency is as simple as committing to publishing and sharing a certain number of posts per week. For me, that’s three per week right now.
This kind of commitment is key, because one day, a random post will blow up, and you will have never expected it.
The easiest mind trap is to think "I’m posting too much", and “I need to give my readers/audience/this platform a break”.
This is nonsense.
There is no such thing as oversaturation. Well, there is, but it is just someone else’s opinion.
For every person that tells you you are posting too much, there is another person that wants even more of your content.
You should ignore people’s opinions on how much you post.
Patience & Persistence
Keep posting, keep trying, and keep putting out good content on the regular. Your time will come, and when it does, it will change everything.
The only thing you have control over is your content.
You can’t control how people will react to it. You can’t control pageviews, likes, or shares.
So the only metric you should focus on is how much content you can put out in a week, month, etc.
Where to share your blog content
I know it sounds obvious, but the best places to share your content is on your mailing list. It is guaranteed traffic and it is a great way to get rapid feedback from your most loyal readers.
Send newsletters often. I have done once a week since starting, and I’m moving to twice a week soon.
Work on increasing your mailing list as well. Look into ways to increase your conversion rate to your mailing list. I added a flyout popup thing to my site and now I’m collecting ~30 emails per day.
An email newsletter is one of the most powerful assets you can have and it is worth its weight in gold.
Reddit is one of my favorite places to promote content.
It is a very scary place because you will often get banned or heckled, but it can really pay off.
Create social media accounts for your blog, the main ones I use:
Twitter Facebook Instagram LinkedIn
Set up Buffer and share all of your blog posts to all of your accounts. All of these little shares really do add up.
Automate this as much as possible. I automated all of my social media for Starter Story.
When I started out, I put together a spreadsheet of relevant Facebook groups for my niche, and I would post to these groups whenever I had a big story I wanted to share.
Build A Facebook Community
Building a community is a great way to grow your network and your business.
There are several different ways of building a community, one of the most effective (and simplest) ways is to build a Facebook group
Setting up the group page takes less than 10 minutes, and we've outlined ways the top 5 ways to create an engaging and successful group:
- Make the group exclusive. This may sound counter-intuitive, however, this ensures privacy and that the group will feel comfortable posting and engaging with members.
- Try to be warm and welcoming. A great way to do this is by having a "Member Monday" where you welcome new members and ask them to introduce themselves in the group
- Use polls/surveys. This is a great way to know your audience and see what people want more of in the group (more business tips, networking opportunities, etc).
- Include influential people & conduct AMA's (ask me anything). This is a great way to get members engaged
- Host an in-person (or virtual) event with members in the group. This will create stronger relationships and build a strong community.
Mike Doehla, founder of Stronger U, an online nutrition company noticed that his customers needed a little motivation and sense of community:
Most diets are lonely so we wanted to give support and a community.
I think many people fail diets because there is no one to talk to and no accountability.
You can by a book, or google a meal plan but who’s going to keep you on track? We will. The entire SU community.
We give our members access for life to our Facebook community filled with people around the world who are looking out for everyone’s success.
Most diets make up arbitrary rules and we thought they just didn’t make sense. Meal timing, Cutting carbs, butter in coffee, sugar being the devil? Ehh no need to overthink that stuff.
We’ll give you the science behind of what we do and show you what actually matters based on real research.
Luckily we have a PhD at our disposal to educate our staff and members so everyone is getting the most up to date information out there.
🏃🏼♀️ How To Run Your Resume Writing Service
How To Retain Customers For Your Resume Writing Service
Retaining customers is one of the most effective ways to grow your resume writing service.
Oftentimes, it's easy to find yourself focusing on generating new customers, vs retaining your current ones.
Look at it this way - you are 60-70% more likely to sell a new product to an existing customer than you are a new customer.
That's not to say that finding new customers and revenue streams is not important, however, the easiest (and most inexpensive) source of new revenue is right there in front of you.
Here are some ways you can retain customers for your resume writing service:
- Responding to comments on social media
- Send discounts (or freebies) to loyal customers
- Provide valuable content, for free
- Write a hand written thank you note
- Provide awesome customer service and build relationships with customers
To find out more tips and tricks on retaining customers, check out this article ➜ here
Alex Benjamin, founder of Recruiter Written dives deep into the process of attracting and retaining customers:
Running metrics is a regular practice in the recruiting industry, so it was only natural that I started to track the source of our business from day one.
I am sure all you are wondering where we see the best results. The answer is quite simple, referrals, referrals, and more referrals.
During the early days, the best (and free) marketing came from our podcast episode on Chris Guillebeau’s The Side Hustle School. Around four to five months after our launch, I stumbled onto one of the HARO daily emails to find that Chris was looking to interview fellow Side Hustlers, so I jumped on the chance. He put together an excellent episode that, to this day, still brings in new customers regularly.
Overall, every marketing avenue has produced customers, including email marketing, direct LinkedIn message campaigns, and having a presence on online forums.
Even handing out business cards and putting a magnet on my car has brought in customers. But, I am sure all you are wondering where we see the best results. The answer is quite simple, referrals, referrals, and more referrals.
It is a humbling compliment that about half of new business comes from referrals. I take it as a sign that we are providing high-quality documents that are positively impacting our customer’s lives. It is not uncommon to finish up one of our customer’s resumes to then have their spouse, colleague, friend, or even an acquaintance of an acquaintance reach out the following week. The referral business has grown so much that other marketing efforts are on hold.
Also, I like to maintain contact with existing customers, not to sell anything, but simply check in to see how they are doing. Quite a bit of business comes from updating resumes or LinkedIn profiles after our customers move into a new position. Since a simple update is well less labor-intensive, special pricing is offered. It is much cheaper and more effective to keep a resume, or LinkedIn regularly updated than it is to have to start from scratch, a task that is much easier once both are in excellent shape.
Diversify Your Product Line
Adding new products to your business is a great way to expand into new markets and grow your business.
It's important to note that adding new products and diversifying may not be in the cards for you right this moment, and that's okay. You can always consider it down the road.
Here are some reasons you may want to considering adding/diversifying your product
- Meeting the needs of your customers
- Establish yourself as a top provider in your industry and stay ahead of the game with competition
- Resistance to downturns/trends fading
- Create new revenue streams
How To Crush The Sales Process For Your Resume Writing Service
You may find yourself in a spot where you're ready to hire a few (or many) salespeople to support the sales conversion process.
Regardless if you have one or thirty salespeople, it's critical that you assign them specific roles and responsibilities to nurture the client and provide excellent support.
Mike Korba, co-founder of User.Com walks us through the entire sales process and which teams are responsible for what:
User.com Sales Process
Each user and account is qualified with a specialist. For business leads, they are handled by the sales team, and if they are qualified we give them a demo, more than often at the end of their fourteen-day trial. If they’re happy they’ll add a payment, and get an account manager, so a customer support and success team who will help implement the solution and to use the technology.
Sometimes, users will convert naturally on their own, after using the freemium product and finding it to be something that they will find beneficial.
After they convert, we help with onboarding, give them some personalized tips for their specific business or industry to grow plus all kinds of support, for whatever they need - something we take huge pride in.
The team is right now more than 30 people, with more than half working on the IT and product side, and the rest are in three teams: Support, Marketing, and Sales who all work together very closely.
Word of Mouth
The most tried and true way to grow a resume writing service is through word of mouth - some entrepreneurs would say it's more important than all social media.
Why you should focus on word of mouth:
- Consumers trust word of mouth above all other forms of marketing
- 92% of consumers believe recommendations from friends and family over all forms of advertising
- 64% of marketing executives indicated that they believe it is the most effective form of marketing
Learn more about word of mouth in our guide: 30 Ways Founders Grow Their Business ➜
As a brand, you want to deliver an experience that authentic, honest and transparent.
Don't make the mistake of giving your audience less credit than they deserve.
If you go around chasing every trend and only focused on yourself and money, you’re going to lose very quickly.
There have been many times where we have been tempted to do this but stayed true.
Sure we sacrificed sales, but we kept our integrity, played the long game and people saw and appreciated that, and really began emotionally investing in the brand.
Build a Referral Program
Word of mouth is one of the best ways to get the word out about your business and acquire new customers. Especially when you are starting out, it’s important to build a solid referral program to encourage existing customers to help you find new ones.
A great way to do that is by offering a reward (ie. credit on your service or cash) to customers that refer you to their friends and family.
A fantastic referral program will help with clout, credibility, and establishing yourself in the space.
We put together the best resources on the internet to help you start your resume writing service.
- Productivity tools such as Google Suite
- Payments tools such as Paypal or Square
- Blog tools such as WordPress
- Crm tools such as Hubspot
- Stock images tools such as Unsplash, Pixabay or Pexels
- Platform tools such as Weebly
- Killer Consulting Resumes!
- 4 Professional Resume Writers Explain How To Get Started
- 3+ Consulting Resume Examples (Template & Guide)
- How I Became A Consultant Despite Being A [Terrible] Student
- How To Write A Resume: Tips From Deloitte
- How I Make $30K/Year On The Side Writing Resumes
- How I Started A Profitable Resume Writing Side Project