When it comes to using social media for your business, using the proper hashtags is key to getting discovered and reaching a larger audience.
In addition, hashtags can also help you identify what's trending in your industry, and most importantly, help you stay up to date with other competitors in the space.
Essentially, hashtags make finding information, products and services easier for social media users. A unique hashtag has the ability to make your message stand out, and could in turn, result in higher conversions.
We've put together a list of 120+ trendy hashtags for your board game  + a step by step guide on how to find and use the right hashtags for your posts.
Most Popular Hashtags:
2nd Most Popular Hashtags:
3rd Most Popular Hashtags:
More Popular Hashtags:
Guide: How To Choose The Right Hashtags For Your Instagram Post
What is a hashtag?
Hashtags are a way to connect your content to a specific theme, community, topic or conversation.
Hashtags make it easier for users to discover your content and allow you to reach a much larger audience.
Here are some fundamentals to keep in mind when using hashtags:
- If you want to use hashtags to enhance your social strategy, make sure your account is public
- Keep your hashtags brief and easy to remember. Try not to put too many words together on the same hashtag
- Limit the amount of hashtags you use on one specific post - most of the time, quality > quantity (we will get into the details of this later in the guide)
- Make sure you do not use any punctuation, spaces or symbols in the hashtag (other than the # at the beginning of the word)
Why are hashtags important?
The truth is, the hashtags you use on your posts can either make or break your strategy.
Some businesses make the mistake of slapping together words that looks and sounds good - when in reality, this could do more harm then good to your strategy.
The main reason hashtags are so critical to your overall strategy is because they have the ability to expand your audience, and boost engagement through likes, shares, and comments. Here's how this works:
- When you use a hashtag, your post will be public to anyone viewing that hashtag
- Users can actually follow hashtags, which means you could show up on the users feed even if they do not follow you
- Using hashtags on "stories" also makes it possible for your story to show up in the relevant hashtag "story"
- Hashtags are also a way to build a community of people, which can enhance your brand and audience.
Example of brilliant hashtag campaign**
Let's take a look at an example of how Coca Cola turned the hashtag "#ShareACoke" into a record number of sales and user generated content on social media:
The idea behind the campaign was that the coke bottles would have names and titles on them - which organically led people to take photos and share them on Instagram using the hashtag "ShareACoke."
The hashtag campaign was so impactful because there was a sense of community world-wide and it felt personal to have your name on the bottle of a multi-billion dollar brand.
What hashtags should I use?
As we mentioned above, the hashtags you use can either make or break your Instagram strategy.
Here are a few different research methods for finding the right hashtags for your post:
- Look at other competitors and social media influencers: Identify how many hashtags they're using in their posts and which hashtags they use consistently
- Search specific hashtags on explore page: This will show you how many posts use that hashtag which is an indicator if it's trending or not. Only use the hashtag if it makes sense for your business.
- Use tools such as hashtagify.me: This tool allows you to search any hashtag to see how popular it is and if it's trending during the given time period
- Use "related" hashtags: On Instagram, related hashtags can be more specific than general hashtags you are using. These are located in the explore section of the Instagram hashtag (see photo below)
How many hashtags should I use for my post?
Instagram allows you to use up to 30 hashtags per post, but it's recommended that the optimal amount of hashtags you should use is 5-10.
Using too many hashtags can make you look spammy and can do more harm to your social strategy.
Frequently Asked Questions
We put together a list of the most frequently asked questions when it comes to using hashtags for your social strategy:
Why should I use hashtags?
Hashtags give you the ability to extend reach to your audience beyond your social media followers.
Should Instagram hashtags go in the post or comments?
It is recommended that you put the bulk of your hashtags in the first comment of the post. This allows the reader to focus on your caption, avoid looking "spammy" while still allowing your post to be discoverable to non-followers.
A great trick to achieving a clean look is to put the hashtags in a comment, start the comment out with five dots (on their own line break) and add all hashtags in the bottom.
How many hashtags should I use in my post?
Experts state the sweet spot is around 5-10 hashtags to start with.
However, the amount of hashtags you use should be based on what works best for your business and industry. It's best to A/B test a few different methods to see what works for you.
Discover the best strategies of successful business owners
Join our newsletter and receive our handcrafted recap with the best insights shared by founders in Starter Story each week.
Useful, convenient, and free:
Did you know that brands using Klaviyo average a 95x ROI?
Email, SMS, and more — Klaviyo brings your marketing all together, fueling growth without burning through time and resources.
Deliver more relevant email and text messages — powered by your data. Klaviyo helps you turn one-time buyers into repeat customers with all the power of an enterprise solution and none of the complexity.