Freelance Writing Price Calculator: How To Price Your Freelance Writing?

Freelance Writing Price Calculator: How To Price Your Freelance Writing?

How to Determine The Price For Your Business/Service:

Our price calculator is designed to be simple and easy to use. It covers everything you need to price your freelance writing business

We hope this calculator helps you make more money for your business.

Please input below:

How To Price Your Freelance Writing

One of the most challenging aspects to becoming a freelance writer is determining how much to charge for your freelance writing.

When businesses under-price their product, this can be extremely detrimental to their bottom line and reputation.

Often times, businesses under-price their products to drive demand and volume, but that last thing you want is for customers to view your product/service as "cheap." Additionally, this can have a big impact on the type of customer you attract, which can be difficult to recover from.

On the other hand, when businesses over-price, this tends to be just as damaging to the business.

When customers buy, it's likely that they will explore the internet and look at other competitors to ensure they're getting the best value + deal. This is why it's so important that you research your competition and understand where you land in the marketplace.

Here are some factors to consider when pricing your product:

Understand your customer

It's important that out of the gates, you identify the type of customer you want to attract and how much they're willing to pay for your service. One great way to do this is by surveying your customers. Here are some important items you'll want to takeaway:

• Customer demographic: Age, gender, location, etc.
  • Buying habits of your customer: What they buy + when they buy
  • Level of price sensitivity with your customer

All of these segments will help you identify the type of customer you're attracting and how to price your product accordingly.

Understand your costs

When pricing your freelance writing, it's critical that you first identify all of your costs and consequently mark up your freelance writing so you can factor in a profit.

The actual cost of your freelance writing may include things like:

• The actual cost to make the product (ie. raw materials, supplies, manufacturer).
  • Shipping + overhead fees
  • Rent
  • Operating costs to run your business

You may want to consider creating a spreadsheet with every single expense involved in operating/owning your business. This will give you an idea as to what you need to generate in order to at the very least, break-even and will help you price your products to factor in a profit.

Create revenue goals

When determining the price of your freelance writing, you'll want to create goals for revenue + how much profit you want your freelance writing business to make.

This process is simpler than you may think:

1. Think about your breakeven cost (by completing the above step).
  2. Create a revenue goal based on your break-even cost
  3. Evaluate the # of items you plan to sell in a given period (make sure this is a realistic number)
  4. Divide your revenue goal by the number of items you plan to sell

This figure will help determine your estimated price per product in order to meet your revenue goals.

Evaluate your competition

The last piece in determining how to price your freelance writing is by simply looking at your competition.

The best way to do this is by finding like-minded businesses that offer product(s) with similar perceived value. Then, you can compare prices of the different businesses and determine where your freelance writing fits best in the marketplace.

All of these factors play an equal part in pricing your freelance writing, so it's important you evaluate each one individually to come up with an accurate price that will help optimize your business from the start.

More Tips On Pricing Your Freelance Writing

Lauren Costanza, founder of Bluminary provides us with a detailed spreadsheet of all of her costs associated with running her business:

I knew this would be a self-funded adventure, and I set aside $3,000. During the first three months, I had a detailed spreadsheet where I tracked where the money was going and what was going toward products versus researching and developing new products.

The spreadsheets involved columns and rows of numbers to craft a budget and gain an understanding of how much would need to be invested at each stage of the process - from gathering supplies to building a website, and shipping materials.

Lauren Costanza, on starting Bluminary ($500/month) full story ➜

Thanks for reading. We wish you success in your business endeavors.

Examples of a successful freelance writing business

Thornton & Lowe ($1.8M/year)

Dave Thornton from Bolton, UK started Thornton & Lowe over 11 years ago, a freelance writing business.

• Location: Bolton, UK

I’m Dave Thornton and I am the Founder of Thornton & Lowe. I started the company 10 years ago, at the age of 23.

We now have a team of over 20 delivering ‘bid’ related products and services. Ultimately, we support businesses large and small to Bid Better. We help our clients win tenders through the more formal procurement/purchasing process, by:

• Writing and improving client proposals
  • Training their teams to write more persuasively, understand the buyer and manage the often complex process more efficiently
  • Providing an outsourced bid writing and management service
  • Supplying temporary and permanent Bid Professionals, through Bid Resource, our specialist recruitment division; and
  • Giving access to our bespoke software products, Tender Pipeline and Tender Library.

how-i-started-a-130k-month-business-selling-bid-writing-services

Dave Thornton, on starting Thornton & Lowe ($150,000/month) full story ➜

Article-Writing Co ($1.02M/year)

David Tile from Toronto, Ontario, Canada started Article-Writing Co over 10 years ago, a freelance writing business.

• Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

My name is David Tile. I own and operate a Content Writing Service, under the banner Article-Writing.co.

We don’t consider ourselves a content marketing firm. But a firm dedicated to the business of writing. Project management offers most often attached to marketing agencies. We work against marketing briefs delivering content on time and under budget.

how-i-started-a-80k-month-content-writing-business

David Tile, on starting Article-Writing Co ($85,000/month) full story ➜

Platypus Publishing ($166K/year)

Matt Rudntsky from Austin started Platypus Publishing about 7 years ago, a freelance writing business.

• Location: Austin

I’m Matt Rudnitsky, and I’ve been helping people write books for over five years. My company is called Platypus Publishing, and we have two flagship products.

For established entrepreneurs or executives with a budget of $20k+, we’ll create a done-for-you book, in your voice. You talk for around 15 hours, and we do everything else. It’s a systematized ghostwriting process, complete with interior and cover design, publishing, and a marketing plan.

For those who can’t or prefer not to spend $20k+, you can take my online course, Permission Publishing. It’s a step-by-step guide on going from no idea (or vague idea) to a published, successful book. Including idea validation, budget design tips, and step-by-step publishing and marketing guides.

how-i-started-a-5-5k-month-business-helping-people-write-books

Matt Rudntsky, on starting Platypus Publishing ($13,825/month) full story ➜

Writing Income Accelerator ($120K/year)

Arlie Peyton from Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA started Writing Income Accelerator almost 3 years ago, a freelance writing business.

• Location: Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA

Hi, I’m Peyton! My full name is Arlie Peyton, but I go by the last name. I am the creator of a freelance writing program that teaches intermediate-level writers how to command $1,000 - $3,000 per article. I just have a coaching program so far, but I’m working on an online course as we speak. I love what I do because I get to teach and talk about business all the time.

With my system, I’ve been able to generate $10K a month. As you can see, that’s only a few articles a month. I run two other businesses so I keep busy, but if I only had writing clients I’d make a lot more for sure. I’m grateful for what I have because every freelance writer knows that there are some places where you can get a 1,000-word article for $10! That’s not a good article and it’s probably scraped stuff from the internet that will never rank in Google.

The key service I provide my clients is simple. I write custom long-form articles that get premium results. For doing this, I get to charge a lot. What I do is like making a bespoke suit or dress for someone. It fits like a glove and performs like a dream. In a word, I send my clients massive traffic.

how-i-started-a-10k-month-business-writing-custom-long-form-articles

Arlie Peyton, on starting Writing Income Accelerator ($10,000/month) full story ➜

Eva Gutierrez ($90.4K/year)

Eva Gutierrez from Los Angeles, CA, USA started Eva Gutierrez ago, a freelance writing business.

• Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA

I’m Eva Gutierrez and I run a freelance writing business. I write content for businesses committed to publishing high-quality articles and email newsletters. I’m currently making $7,532 per month on average and recently started coaching freelancers on building their own successful freelancing business.

how-i-went-from-posting-on-quora-to-making-7-5k-month-as-a-freelance-writer

Eva Gutierrez, on starting Eva Gutierrez ($7,532/month) full story ➜

Angelella Editorial ($54K/year)

Kate Angelella from Baltimore, Maryland, USA started Angelella Editorial about 7 years ago, a freelance writing business.

• Location: Baltimore, Maryland, USA

Hi! I’m Kate Angelella and I’m the owner of Angelella Editorial, a freelance editorial business that helps authors take their writing to the next level.

I started the business about five years ago as a sole proprietorship, but have since grown into a very different company with a brand new co-founder and a stable of eight amazing editors working as independent contractors for the company. Together, we provide author coaching, full and partial manuscript critiques, authenticity reading, ghostwriting, and book doctoring. Basically, we help authors who have taken their novels as far as they can take them on their own by giving them feedback on their stories and helping them navigate the next steps in their literary journeys.

how-i-started-a-4-5k-month-freelance-editorial-business

Kate Angelella, on starting Angelella Editorial ($4,500/month) full story ➜

Daniel Waldman Writing ($42K/year)

Daniel Waldman from Nantes, Pays de la Loire, France started Daniel Waldman Writing almost 5 years ago, a freelance writing business.

• Location: Nantes, Pays de la Loire, France

I’m Daniel Waldman and I’m a freelance writer. My business is called Daniel Waldman Writing and I’ve been in business for about 3 years. That said, I’ve worked in marketing and public relations for nearly my entire career (over 15 years), and writing has always been a central element of my professional activities.

I offer a wide variety of writing and editing services, but mainly clients come to me for help with blogging, article writing, their website copy, and video script writing. I’ve also helped one writer with editing a business book and continue to expand my editorial services. On average, I earn about $3500/month (before taxes).

leaving-the-agency-grind-to-start-my-own-freelance-writing-career

Daniel Waldman, on starting Daniel Waldman Writing ($3,500/month) full story ➜

The Language Delegate ($36K/year)

Pat Stainke from Donna, Texas, USA started The Language Delegate over 7 years ago, a freelance writing business.

• Location: Donna, Texas, USA

Hi. My name is Pat, and I serve my clients as The Language Delegate. In the course of any given day, I coach others in the fine points of writing, edit their works before they publish, enhance a descriptive scene in a novel, translate a chapter, proofread magazine copy, or give a second language learner's paper a more natural flow. My clients come from all walks of life: entrepreneurs who need support in the written aspects of business, doctoral candidates, first-time authors, small publishing houses, pastors transforming a sermon series into a book, magazine editors, travel groups, office clerks responsible for special reports, French authors seeking a translation to English, and students writing personal statements in their second language. And that’s just for starters!

It took me a little more than three years to build my business up to full time. I now make about $4,000/month, working an average of 25 billable hours a week. It was a great day when I no longer had to work a second job to pay the bills while building the business!

on-leaving-a-full-time-job-to-become-an-independent-editor-and-writer

Pat Stainke, on starting The Language Delegate ($3,000/month) full story ➜

Freshly Squeezed ($33.6K/year)

Adam Crookes from Bristol, England, United Kingdom started Freshly Squeezed over 1 year ago, a freelance writing business.

• Location: Bristol, England, United Kingdom

My name is Adam Crookes and I am the Founder and Lead Content Writer at Freshly Squeezed. We deliver on-demand content writing for SEO growth to small businesses and startups.

Freshly Squeezed is currently generating $3K MRR.

how-i-started-a-2-8k-month-content-writing-agency-focused-on-seo-growth

Adam Crookes, on starting Freshly Squeezed ($2,800/month) full story ➜

Tyla's Writing Services ($8.4K/year)

Deja Tyla Hansen from Oceanside started Tyla's Writing Services about 1 year ago, a freelance writing business.

• Location: Oceanside

My name is Tyla and I am the proud owner of Tyla’s Writing Services. My business is a professional writing service that provides writing needs for businesses and professionals. Our professional services include resumes, cover letters, letters of recommendation, and LinkedIn profiles. Some of our business services include business reports, transcription, website content, copywriting, and so much more. With a wide array of customers, I have the luxury of constantly working on something new in many different fields and subjects. As such, I am constantly learning something new which I truly enjoy.

Currently, my business is just getting started and we are averaging only an income of $1k a month. My goal is to build my customer base by connecting with professionals and small businesses that need help! Also, by providing each customer with customized and unique content, I feel most customers will come back if they’ve enjoyed their first experience.

starting-a-side-business-offering-professional-writing-services

Deja Tyla Hansen, on starting Tyla's Writing Services ($700/month) full story ➜

Discover the best strategies of successful business owners

Join our newsletter and receive our handcrafted recap with the best insights shared by founders in Starter Story each week.

Useful, convenient, and free:

Are you ready to boost your revenue?

Using Klaviyo will open up a massive, untapped sales channel and bring you closer to your customers!

We've interviewed many impressive businesses who swear by the results of the product, including Brumate, Beardbrand, and many more.

Level up your email marketing with Klaviyo!