Free Cash Flow Calculator
Plug your numbers into this calculator to get your free cash flow number:
(see below for more detailed explanation)
How to calculate free cash flow
Calculating your business’ free cash flow is simple.
You will just need the following figures:
- Net income: Similar to profit, this is total income left over after you’ve deduced your business expenses from total revenue or sales. You’ll find this on any income statement.
- Depreciation/Amortization: Some of your business assets (like equipment) lose value over time, such as a car or a home. Depreciation is the measurement of how that value decreases. Amortization, on the other hand, is a method of breaking down the initial cost of an asset over its lifetime. You’ll find depreciation and amortization on most income statements.
- Working Capital: Working capital is the difference between your assets and liabilities and represents the capital used in the day-to-day operation of your business. You can calculate your working capital using the total assets and liabilities line item on your balance sheet.
- Capital Expenditure: Capital expenditures include money your business spends on fixed assets, like land, real estate, or equipment. You can find your capital expenditure on the cash flow statement.
The basic formula for free cash flow looks like this:
Free Cash Flow = (1) Net income + (2) Depreciation/Amortization – (3) Change in Working Capital – (4) Capital Expenditure
A Real World Example
Pat runs an online business — he needs to calculate if he can afford to run $1,000 in ads every month.
His financials for the year look like this:
- Net income = $100,000
- Depreciation/Amortization = $0 (he doesn't have any depreciating assets)
- Change in Working Capital = $10,000
- Capital Expenditure = $2,500 (Pat bought a new computer last year)
So Pat's free cash flow is represented by:
[$100,000] + [$0] – [$10,000] – [$2,500] = $87,500
That means he has $67,500 in available cash to reinvest back into the business. He can afford to run the ads.
Software to help you calculate free cash flow:
Discover the best strategies of successful business owners
Join our newsletter and receive our handcrafted recap with the best insights shared by founders in Starter Story each week.
Useful, convenient, and free:
Did you know that brands using Klaviyo average a 95x ROI?
Email, SMS, and more — Klaviyo brings your marketing all together, fueling growth without burning through time and resources.
Deliver more relevant email and text messages — powered by your data. Klaviyo helps you turn one-time buyers into repeat customers with all the power of an enterprise solution and none of the complexity.